NEWBIE QUESTION: Leaving the open braces on the same line as the constuct
Author Message
 NEWBIE QUESTION: Leaving the open braces on the same line as the constuct

Could someone please tell me how to configure Microsoft
Visual C++ 6.0 to leave the open brace on the same line as
the construct?  Also, this style of formatting has a name
could you please tell me that as well?

Thanks
drv

Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:58:47 GMT
 NEWBIE QUESTION: Leaving the open braces on the same line as the constuct

Quote:
> Could someone please tell me how to configure Microsoft
> Visual C++ 6.0 to leave the open brace on the same line as
> the construct?

Leave it on the same line?  VC6 doesn't format code - the braces are where
you type them, unless you're talking about wizard generated code, in which
case you can't - it is how it is.

Quote:
> Also, this style of formatting has a name
> could you please tell me that as well?

K&R Style.

-cd

Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:11:53 GMT
 NEWBIE QUESTION: Leaving the open braces on the same line as the constuct
Ok thanks. I know that C# has an option for wizard
generated code you can set so I thought VC might have as
well.

What does K & R stand for?

Thanks again,
drv

Quote:

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:11:23 GMT
 NEWBIE QUESTION: Leaving the open braces on the same line as the constuct
Kernigan and Ritchie, the father's of C.
Quote:

> Ok thanks. I know that C# has an option for wizard
> generated code you can set so I thought VC might have as
> well.

> What does K & R stand for?

> Thanks again,
> drv

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:26:49 GMT
 NEWBIE QUESTION: Leaving the open braces on the same line as the constuct
Thanks

drv

Quote:

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 04:59:01 GMT
 NEWBIE QUESTION: Leaving the open braces on the same line as the constuct

Quote:

>> Could someone please tell me how to configure Microsoft
>> Visual C++ 6.0 to leave the open brace on the same line as
>> the construct?

> Leave it on the same line?  VC6 doesn't format code - the braces are
> where you type them, unless you're talking about wizard generated
> code, in which case you can't - it is how it is.

>> Also, this style of formatting has a name
>> could you please tell me that as well?

> K&R Style.

The style is also sometimes called "one-true-brace". I've especially seen
Java programmers use that name.

--
Sven Groot

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:18:45 GMT

1. What missing left brace?

2. CFile opened and left open

3. CFile/CCommon dialog question and DAO open question (yes, I'm a newbie)

4. Opening a text file/Displaying text line by line

5. Newbie Question [came in with no subject line -mod]

6. Newbie Question - command line execution

7. newbie question: stop reading at a blank line

8. Newbie question - reading an input line

9. Newbie question about printing from command line

10. newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

11. line numbers in editor (newbie question)

12. Newbie question: Dev Studio and VC++: Line,shape