BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project
Author Message
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

If you generate an MFC SDI application with a CEditView derived view
and make no changes to the source code, build the project, type a few
characters in the view and use Print Preview. There's only ever the
first character shown in the Print Preview.

I've not gone into this problem in any depth, but presumably the
problem is with the Wizard generated code because the same project
created with the VC6 AppWizard and build with VC7 RC1 works fine.

Dave Lowndes
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:18:13 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project
Hi David,

I've tried to repro your problem but I could not. It's true that I'm using a
newer build. If you can look in the CEditView derived class and find a
difference between the code generated by VS7 and VS6 I'll try to find the
cause.

Silviu

Quote:
> If you generate an MFC SDI application with a CEditView derived view
> and make no changes to the source code, build the project, type a few
> characters in the view and use Print Preview. There's only ever the
> first character shown in the Print Preview.

> I've not gone into this problem in any depth, but presumably the
> problem is with the Wizard generated code because the same project
> created with the VC6 AppWizard and build with VC7 RC1 works fine.

> Dave Lowndes
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:21:24 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

Quote:
>I've tried to repro your problem but I could not. It's true that I'm using a
>newer build. If you can look in the CEditView derived class and find a
>difference between the code generated by VS7 and VS6 I'll try to find the
>cause.

Silviu,

The problem is due to the XP common controls V6 manifest in the VC7
generated project. If I remove the manifest from the resource and
rebuild, it's fine.

FWIW, I'm running WinXP Pro (release) and use the classic (non-themed)
UI.

Is it a WinXP common controls V6 bug?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:09:53 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project
It seems to be a problem with the side by side concept that WinXP is
implementing. Thank you for pointing it out David.

Quote:
> >I've tried to repro your problem but I could not. It's true that I'm
using a
> >newer build. If you can look in the CEditView derived class and find a
> >difference between the code generated by VS7 and VS6 I'll try to find the
> >cause.

> Silviu,

> The problem is due to the XP common controls V6 manifest in the VC7
> generated project. If I remove the manifest from the resource and
> rebuild, it's fine.

> FWIW, I'm running WinXP Pro (release) and use the classic (non-themed)
> UI.

> Is it a WinXP common controls V6 bug?

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:17:18 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

Quote:
>It seems to be a problem with the side by side concept that WinXP is
>implementing.

 :(

Is it something that can be fixed or worked around?

Quote:
> Thank you for pointing it out David.

No problem, that's what I'm here for.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:00:02 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project
I think it will be addressed in the next version. For now your only chance
seems to be not to use it in this scenario.

Silviu

Quote:
> >It seems to be a problem with the side by side concept that WinXP is
> >implementing.

>  :(

> Is it something that can be fixed or worked around?

> > Thank you for pointing it out David.

> No problem, that's what I'm here for.

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:52:50 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

Quote:
>I think it will be addressed in the next version.

By "next version", do you mean the next release candidate of VS7, or
that it won't be fixed for RTM? Or even the next version of WinXP?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:13:25 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project
I mean to uncheck this in the wizard advanced feature page or just remove
the manifest resource from the resource script.

Quote:
> I think it will be addressed in the next version. For now your only chance
> seems to be not to use it in this scenario.

> Silviu

> > >It seems to be a problem with the side by side concept that WinXP is
> > >implementing.

> >  :(

> > Is it something that can be fixed or worked around?

> > > Thank you for pointing it out David.

> > No problem, that's what I'm here for.

> > Dave
> > --
> > MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> > My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> > Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> > there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:18:24 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

Quote:

> By "next version", do you mean the next release candidate of VS7, or
> that it won't be fixed for RTM? Or even the next version of WinXP?

Hi David,

   Next version means the release after Visual Studio .NET.  It cannot be
fixed in RTM.  We're really close to shipping, so it has to be a severe
problem with no workarounds available.

I don't speak for the Windows organization.  You'll have to dig around on a
Windows newsgroup to find someone to answer your question on that front.

Cheerio!
Brandon Bray
Visual C++ Compiler Team

--
And now a word from the lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 04:00:50 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

Quote:
>I mean to uncheck this in the wizard advanced feature page or just remove
>the manifest resource from the resource script.

I'm sorry, but that's not the answer to my question.

To repeat myself...

By "next version", do you mean the next release candidate of VS7, or
that it won't be fixed for RTM? Or even the next version of WinXP?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:02:02 GMT
 BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

Quote:
>> By "next version", do you mean the next release candidate of VS7, or
>> that it won't be fixed for RTM? Or even the next version of WinXP?

>Hi David,

>   Next version means the release after Visual Studio .NET.  It cannot be
>fixed in RTM.

 :( Sounds to me like you've actually shipped!

Anyway, can you explain precisely where the problem arises so that we
can be aware of the underlying cause?

I don't have any real projects that use a CEditView, but if the
problem is some generic issue, then developers need to be aware of it.

This problem will of course warrant a note in the readme and/or a
knowledge base article - won't it?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:18:54 GMT

1. VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location

2. Custom Appwizard that generates two projects

3. VC7 RC1 Wizards still show check box and radio button text clipped

4. Found bug in vc7 mfc code...

5. possible bug in VC6, VC7, VC7.1

6. Possible bug in vc7.0 (and vc7.1)

7. VC7: BUG in IMPLEMENT_SERIAL (MFC)

8. Bug: VC7 MFC CByteArray::Serialize

9. inserting more options in a generated MFC project

10. inserting more options in a generated MFC project

11. inserting more options in a generated MFC project

12. VS7 RC1 Start Page list of projects doesn't update