Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)
Author Message
 Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)

I'm a C programmer with 6+ years of professional experience (mostly UNIX and
embedded systems), and I am in the process of learning C++ .NET.

I did a bit of self-study about C++ and OOP, but quickly switched to C++
.NET. I have read the MSPress book "Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Step by step"
(Templeman/Olsen), and it was a pretty good introduction.

But now I need a more advanced book: I now have some basic C++.NET
knowledge, but I still got lots of questions and things I want to learn. So
now I am looking for a really good intermediate/advanced book about C++.NET
that I can really dig into.

There are not many books about this I am aware of. I have come across these
three:

- Visual C++.NET: The Complete Reference (Pappas, Murray), from McGraw-Hill
- Visual C++.NET Bible (Archer), from Hungry Minds
- Visual C++.NET Developer's Guide (Mueller) from McGraw-Hill

and coming soon:
Microsoft Visual C++.NET Language Reference from MSPress

The latter, however, doesn't really appeal to me, because it seems to be
somewhat of a hardcopy of the MSN Library (please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm not really looking for a reference guide, more like a book that really,
thoroughly and completely explains things, and provides lots of clear
samples.

I cannot stress this last sentence enough: this is something I am really
missing from the MSDN Library. Sure, all the reference information is there,
but it doesn't really explain things, and almost all samples are in VB.NET
and C#. So I am looking for a book that will provide me with what I need.

So to conclude, can anybody of you please recommend a book to me ? Also, all
comments about the books I mentioned are appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Danny Suls AKA Poison Dan

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:07:43 GMT
 Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)
Dan,

I think it would be easier to make a recommendation if you could provide
more information about what exactly you're interested in learning.

Do you want to have a better understanding of the C++ language and it's
libraries?
Do you want to learn about object-oriented analysis & design?
Do you want to learn about the MFC & ATL libraries?
...or the .NET framework libraries (accessible from managed C++ in Visual
C++ .NET)?
...or the Visual C++ .NET integrated development environment, how to use it,
and what it can do for you?
...or...?

I think narrowing down the scope a bit would be helpful and then you'll
probably see lots of good recommendations.

--
Mark Lacey
mlacey at microsoft dot com

> I'm a C programmer with 6+ years of professional experience (mostly UNIX
and
> embedded systems), and I am in the process of learning C++ .NET.

> I did a bit of self-study about C++ and OOP, but quickly switched to C++
> .NET. I have read the MSPress book "Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Step by
step"
> (Templeman/Olsen), and it was a pretty good introduction.

> But now I need a more advanced book: I now have some basic C++.NET
> knowledge, but I still got lots of questions and things I want to learn.
So
> now I am looking for a really good intermediate/advanced book about
C++.NET
> that I can really dig into.

> There are not many books about this I am aware of. I have come across
these
> three:

> - Visual C++.NET: The Complete Reference (Pappas, Murray), from
McGraw-Hill
> - Visual C++.NET Bible (Archer), from Hungry Minds
> - Visual C++.NET Developer's Guide (Mueller) from McGraw-Hill

> and coming soon:
> Microsoft Visual C++.NET Language Reference from MSPress

> The latter, however, doesn't really appeal to me, because it seems to be
> somewhat of a hardcopy of the MSN Library (please correct me if I'm
wrong).
> I'm not really looking for a reference guide, more like a book that
really,
> thoroughly and completely explains things, and provides lots of clear
> samples.

> I cannot stress this last sentence enough: this is something I am really
> missing from the MSDN Library. Sure, all the reference information is
there,
> but it doesn't really explain things, and almost all samples are in VB.NET
> and C#. So I am looking for a book that will provide me with what I need.

> So to conclude, can anybody of you please recommend a book to me ? Also,
all
> comments about the books I mentioned are appreciated.

> Thank you in advance,

> Danny Suls AKA Poison Dan

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:43:29 GMT
 Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)
The most import things I want to learn more about:

1. Everything about mixing managed and unmanaged code and data, converting
managed data to unmanaged data and vice versa, and what the end result will
be (implications for performance, portability, ...)
Note: I noticed two articles on gotdotnet.com containing the specification
of managed extensions for C++ and a migration guide. I haven't read these
yet. I would still appreciate a recommendation for a book that will clearly
explain this.
2. As much as possible about the .NET framework libraries (with lots of C++
samples)
3. Details about the C++ language are welcome, but not a priority.

I'm not really interested in MFC, ATL, COM+, OOA or OOD.

HTH

Quote:
> Dan,

> I think it would be easier to make a recommendation if you could provide
> more information about what exactly you're interested in learning.

> Do you want to have a better understanding of the C++ language and it's
> libraries?
> Do you want to learn about object-oriented analysis & design?
> Do you want to learn about the MFC & ATL libraries?
> ...or the .NET framework libraries (accessible from managed C++ in Visual
> C++ .NET)?
> ...or the Visual C++ .NET integrated development environment, how to use
it,
> and what it can do for you?
> ...or...?

> I think narrowing down the scope a bit would be helpful and then you'll
> probably see lots of good recommendations.

> --
> Mark Lacey
> mlacey at microsoft dot com
> Microsoft Visual C++ Program Management
rights.

> > I'm a C programmer with 6+ years of professional experience (mostly UNIX
> and
> > embedded systems), and I am in the process of learning C++ .NET.

> > I did a bit of self-study about C++ and OOP, but quickly switched to C++
> > .NET. I have read the MSPress book "Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Step by
> step"
> > (Templeman/Olsen), and it was a pretty good introduction.

> > But now I need a more advanced book: I now have some basic C++.NET
> > knowledge, but I still got lots of questions and things I want to learn.
> So
> > now I am looking for a really good intermediate/advanced book about
> C++.NET
> > that I can really dig into.

> > There are not many books about this I am aware of. I have come across
> these
> > three:

> > - Visual C++.NET: The Complete Reference (Pappas, Murray), from
> McGraw-Hill
> > - Visual C++.NET Bible (Archer), from Hungry Minds
> > - Visual C++.NET Developer's Guide (Mueller) from McGraw-Hill

> > and coming soon:
> > Microsoft Visual C++.NET Language Reference from MSPress

> > The latter, however, doesn't really appeal to me, because it seems to be
> > somewhat of a hardcopy of the MSN Library (please correct me if I'm
> wrong).
> > I'm not really looking for a reference guide, more like a book that
> really,
> > thoroughly and completely explains things, and provides lots of clear
> > samples.

> > I cannot stress this last sentence enough: this is something I am really
> > missing from the MSDN Library. Sure, all the reference information is
> there,
> > but it doesn't really explain things, and almost all samples are in
VB.NET
> > and C#. So I am looking for a book that will provide me with what I
need.

> > So to conclude, can anybody of you please recommend a book to me ? Also,
> all
> > comments about the books I mentioned are appreciated.

> > Thank you in advance,

> > Danny Suls AKA Poison Dan

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:46:24 GMT
 Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)
Here's exactly what your looking for:

Essential Guide to Managed Extensions for C++
By Siva Challa, Artur Laksberg
SOFTCOVER, 700+ PAGES
ISBN: 1893115283
Publisher: APress
Published: Jan 2002.

DK

Quote:
> The most import things I want to learn more about:

> 1. Everything about mixing managed and unmanaged code and data, converting
> managed data to unmanaged data and vice versa, and what the end result
will
> be (implications for performance, portability, ...)
> Note: I noticed two articles on gotdotnet.com containing the specification
> of managed extensions for C++ and a migration guide. I haven't read these
> yet. I would still appreciate a recommendation for a book that will
clearly
> explain this.
> 2. As much as possible about the .NET framework libraries (with lots of
C++
> samples)
> 3. Details about the C++ language are welcome, but not a priority.

> I'm not really interested in MFC, ATL, COM+, OOA or OOD.

> HTH

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:35:42 GMT
 Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)
Looks great. Thanks.

Quote:
> Here's exactly what your looking for:

> Essential Guide to Managed Extensions for C++
> By Siva Challa, Artur Laksberg
> SOFTCOVER, 700+ PAGES
> ISBN: 1893115283
> Publisher: APress
> Published: Jan 2002.

> DK

> > The most import things I want to learn more about:

> > 1. Everything about mixing managed and unmanaged code and data,
converting
> > managed data to unmanaged data and vice versa, and what the end result
> will
> > be (implications for performance, portability, ...)
> > Note: I noticed two articles on gotdotnet.com containing the
specification
> > of managed extensions for C++ and a migration guide. I haven't read
these
> > yet. I would still appreciate a recommendation for a book that will
> clearly
> > explain this.
> > 2. As much as possible about the .NET framework libraries (with lots of
> C++
> > samples)
> > 3. Details about the C++ language are welcome, but not a priority.

> > I'm not really interested in MFC, ATL, COM+, OOA or OOD.

> > HTH

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:16:15 GMT
 Book recommendation (intermediate/advanced)
Quote:

> The most import things I want to learn more about:

> 1. Everything about mixing managed and unmanaged code and data, converting
> managed data to unmanaged data and vice versa, and what the end result will
> be (implications for performance, portability, ...)
> Note: I noticed two articles on gotdotnet.com containing the specification
> of managed extensions for C++ and a migration guide. I haven't read these
> yet. I would still appreciate a recommendation for a book that will clearly
> explain this.
> 2. As much as possible about the .NET framework libraries (with lots of C++
> samples)

Doesn't contain much of what you asked for, but I think that "Applied
Microsoft .NET Framework Programming will clearify lots of things...
Quote:
> 3. Details about the C++ language are welcome, but not a priority.
Accellerated C++!!

> I'm not really interested in MFC, ATL, COM+, OOA or OOD.

You should be!!
(not in MFC, but in ATL && COM+!!!)
Quote:

> [...]

> > > somewhat of a hardcopy of the MSN Library (please correct me if I'm
>  wrong).
> > > I'm not really looking for a reference guide, more like a book that
>  really,
> > > thoroughly and completely explains things, and provides lots of clear
> > > samples.

> > > I cannot stress this last sentence enough: this is something I am really
> > > missing from the MSDN Library. Sure, all the reference information is
>  there,
> > > but it doesn't really explain things, and almost all samples are in
>  VB.NET
> > > and C#. So I am looking for a book that will provide me with what I
>  need.

> > > So to conclude, can anybody of you please recommend a book to me ? Also,
>  all
> > > comments about the books I mentioned are appreciated.

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 05:41:40 GMT

1. Recommendations for "Intermediate C" books

2. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

3. Intermediate to Advanced Books

4. Recommend A Good Intermediate to Advanced C Book

5. intermediate -> advanced C exercises or books

6. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

7. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

8. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

9. Refresher books for intermediate to advanced C++ devs?

10. Advanced book on C - recommendations?

11. Intermediate - Advanced

12. Newsgroups for beginner , intermediate, and advanced