Survey #2: Which language...
Author Message
 Survey #2: Which language...

1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped you
decide?

2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

3b. If so, which ones and why?

--
Jonathan Allen

Sun, 11 May 2003 09:50:36 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...
1. C#.
2.  Both familiarity with Java and the c# feature set.
3. Not c++ or VB.

Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?

> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?
> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

> 3b. If so, which ones and why?
> --
> Jonathan Allen

Sun, 11 May 2003 11:40:16 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...
Okay I'll bite.

Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

That'll be VB for me.

Quote:
> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?

Features

Quote:
> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

The aboriginal features of VB.  But also the "full citizenship" of VB re CLR
cinches it.

By aboriginal features I mean: it's just plain unproductive for a human
being to code using. ({}||;~)  If I could make that into a "smiley" I would
<g>.

VB avoids non-human punctuation, while making boundaries of control
structures more visible to the programmer than any other language.

OO is cool sure enuf, components are {*filter*}, but control structures are the
life {*filter*} of every single routine in every single program.  Only VB makes
sense to me for that. I'm an old C guy, certified Java programmer,
Smalltalker, been round the block enough to know what works well for me
anyway.

Quote:
> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

Possibly.

Quote:
> 3b. If so, which ones and why?

C-sharp quite possibly.  I've been ready for 8 years to use C to supplement
VB, why stop now.  Fact is I never needed C much, and I probably won't need
C-sharp much now, but the unsafe features just might come in handy for
something.  I do still have those old C libraries I've been keeping for 8
years on the chance they'll come in handy again <g>.

APL is another possibility if it catches on.  I used enough APL to realize
how powerful it is to financial and scientific applications.  Up til now
it's been too detached from MS technology I use for everything else.

Smalltalk for fun maybe.  Some things about Smalltalk are truly cool and
still just as unique as VB's control structures.  Just like VB's good stuff,
nobody seems to wants to copy Smalltalk cooler features like closures, no
matter how good the idea, cuz they are "Too Different From C" <grin>.

regards
Richard.

Sun, 11 May 2003 12:51:15 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...
VB an only VB !!!

Quote:
> Okay I'll bite.

> > 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

> That'll be VB for me.

> > 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
> you
> > decide?

> Features

> > 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

> The aboriginal features of VB.  But also the "full citizenship" of VB re
CLR
> cinches it.

> By aboriginal features I mean: it's just plain unproductive for a human
> being to code using. ({}||;~)  If I could make that into a "smiley" I
would
> <g>.

> VB avoids non-human punctuation, while making boundaries of control
> structures more visible to the programmer than any other language.

> OO is cool sure enuf, components are {*filter*}, but control structures are the
> life {*filter*} of every single routine in every single program.  Only VB makes
> sense to me for that. I'm an old C guy, certified Java programmer,
> Smalltalker, been round the block enough to know what works well for me
> anyway.

> > 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

> Possibly.

> > 3b. If so, which ones and why?

> C-sharp quite possibly.  I've been ready for 8 years to use C to
supplement
> VB, why stop now.  Fact is I never needed C much, and I probably won't
need
> C-sharp much now, but the unsafe features just might come in handy for
> something.  I do still have those old C libraries I've been keeping for 8
> years on the chance they'll come in handy again <g>.

> APL is another possibility if it catches on.  I used enough APL to realize
> how powerful it is to financial and scientific applications.  Up til now
> it's been too detached from MS technology I use for everything else.

> Smalltalk for fun maybe.  Some things about Smalltalk are truly cool and
> still just as unique as VB's control structures.  Just like VB's good
stuff,
> nobody seems to wants to copy Smalltalk cooler features like closures, no
> matter how good the idea, cuz they are "Too Different From C" <grin>.

> regards
> Richard.

Sun, 11 May 2003 14:22:08 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...
i know most people are hard core vbers here but i must say now that i
know c++ i love it its {*filter*}ing ;)
Quote:

> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped you
> decide?

> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

> 3b. If so, which ones and why?

> --
> Jonathan Allen

Sun, 11 May 2003 15:49:07 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...

Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

      For Now VB.Net

Quote:
> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?

     Past Versions.

Quote:
> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

    No time to learn a new language.

Quote:
> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

   Perl.Net:  For conversion of our PERL Clients
  Object Pascal.Net: For conversion of our Delphi Clients.
  COBOL.Net: For conversion of our COBOL clients.
  P# (P not C):  Will replace our need for Object Pascal.Net when ready.  As
well as our Macintosh Clients.

  We may also need Java.Net, but at this time we don't expect to convert any
Java Code.  In this event we would probably use C# rather than Java.Net.

Quote:
> 3b. If so, which ones and why?

> --
> Jonathan Allen

Sun, 11 May 2003 16:03:59 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...

Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?
>    NONE

> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?
>  Past Versions

> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?
>   The lack of the BASIC language

> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?
>     No, not until I am forced to use it thru lack of alternatives.

> 3b. If so, which ones and why?
>    I would have used Visual Basic if it still existed.

> --
> Jonathan Allen

Sun, 11 May 2003 17:56:51 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...
Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

C++

Quote:
> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped you
> decide?

Feature set and then familiarity

Quote:
> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

OOP features and templates

Quote:
> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

Yes

Quote:
> 3b. If so, which ones and why?

C#: More familiar syntax for me than VB

Sun, 11 May 2003 22:34:24 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...
Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

VB.Net

Quote:
> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?

Both.

Quote:
> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

Threading, GC (no more circular refs), actual OO

Quote:
> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

Depending on need.

Quote:
> 3b. If so, which ones and why?

C++ and/or C#, for helper functions.

Sun, 11 May 2003 23:51:30 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...

Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

Visual FoxPro.

Quote:

> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?

Most of my applications are already in VFP 6. Preliminary tests indicate
that existing applications upgrade without modification.

Quote:
> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

New XML, SOAP, and OLE-DB for VFP give me the ability to stay in VFP to a
large extent, and still get into P2P, B2B etc. as well as the Web.

Quote:
> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

Yes.

Quote:
> 3b. If so, which ones and why?

I have a large body of C++ code which I am investigating porting to C#. Also
most of my development team has come from a VB background, and we will be
integrating that into the application family since it now appears as though
VFP, C#, C++, and VB can much more easily be used together through COM+ even
though VFP is not participating in CLR.
Quote:
> --
> Jonathan Allen

Sun, 11 May 2003 23:53:09 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...

Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

50% VB, 50% C#

Quote:

> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?

For VB, familiarity, for C# more efficient code and larger library for
complex data structures (lotsa Java and C++ stuff will transfer with little
changes)

Quote:

> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

Same as 2

Quote:

> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

Nope.

Quote:

> 3b. If so, which ones and why?

C++ is useless to ME with C# around.  Why go through the trouble of learning
Perl.NET, Eiffel.Net, etc. when they will give the same basic result?
Quote:

> --
> Jonathan Allen

Mon, 12 May 2003 02:20:59 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...
Wow. 'Nuff Respect- never tought I'd find a fellow Smalltalk programmer in
an NG like this.Did you ever use Sun's Self? I was hoping for Self.Net
(hahah like, nobody is going to EVER going to do that), maybe we will see
smalltalk.net though. If we see java.net, I bet it won't be by MS...

Maybe it's the evil in me, but I really like my typing loose. (That's
variable types, not keyboard typing!).

Graspee

Anyway,

Quote:
> > 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

VB

Quote:
> > 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped

you decide?

features. Familiarity with previous versions is of really minimal
importance. The new VB just stopped me from running to C#. For my code
there's no need to use C#, so I might as well not have to use semi-colons
and curly braces.

Quote:
> > 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

inheritance, initialization with assignment, static class functions (or
whatever they're now called in VB.NET), overloading

Quote:
> > 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?
> > 3b. If so, which ones and why?

C++ in unmanaged (unmanageable!) mode, for my own projects at home. E.g.
DirectX demos and language compilers.

Quote:
> Okay I'll bite.

> > 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?

> That'll be VB for me.

> > 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
> you
> > decide?

> Features

> > 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

> The aboriginal features of VB.  But also the "full citizenship" of VB re
CLR
> cinches it.

> By aboriginal features I mean: it's just plain unproductive for a human
> being to code using. ({}||;~)  If I could make that into a "smiley" I
would
> <g>.

> VB avoids non-human punctuation, while making boundaries of control
> structures more visible to the programmer than any other language.

> OO is cool sure enuf, components are {*filter*}, but control structures are the
> life {*filter*} of every single routine in every single program.  Only VB makes
> sense to me for that. I'm an old C guy, certified Java programmer,
> Smalltalker, been round the block enough to know what works well for me
> anyway.

> > 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

> Possibly.

> > 3b. If so, which ones and why?

> C-sharp quite possibly.  I've been ready for 8 years to use C to
supplement
> VB, why stop now.  Fact is I never needed C much, and I probably won't
need
> C-sharp much now, but the unsafe features just might come in handy for
> something.  I do still have those old C libraries I've been keeping for 8
> years on the chance they'll come in handy again <g>.

> APL is another possibility if it catches on.  I used enough APL to realize
> how powerful it is to financial and scientific applications.  Up til now
> it's been too detached from MS technology I use for everything else.

> Smalltalk for fun maybe.  Some things about Smalltalk are truly cool and
> still just as unique as VB's control structures.  Just like VB's good
stuff,
> nobody seems to wants to copy Smalltalk cooler features like closures, no
> matter how good the idea, cuz they are "Too Different From C" <grin>.

> regards
> Richard.

Mon, 12 May 2003 02:35:21 GMT
 Survey #2: Which language...

Quote:
> 1. Which .Net language do you expect to use the most?
C#

> 2. Was if familiarity with past versions or the feature set that helped
you
> decide?

both familiarity with past version (i.e. C++) and the feature set

Quote:

> 2b. What features (if any) of the language helped you decide?

it has been designed for .NET Developement

Quote:

> 3. Do you expect to use any other .Net language on a regular basis?

Yes
> 3b. If so, which ones and why?
C++

> --
> Jonathan Allen

P.S.
I've seen many answers referring to VFP as a .NET language. This is
Completely wrong.
Altough it'll be part of Visual Studio.NET it won't support the .NET
platform at all.

    Antonello Tesoro.

Mon, 12 May 2003 02:42:35 GMT

 [ 27 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Survey #2: Which language...

2. Survey #3: Exactly what is a language?

3. SURVEY of CS depts. (languages)

4. Language Implementation Survey

5. Language Implementation Survey (and results)

6. Language implementation survey

7. survey of set based languages

8. Survey on language of postings

9. Survey on language of postings in comp.lang.c

10. Programming Languages Survey

11. Survey #3: Exactly what is a language?

12. OS written in High level Language (was What's the best language to start with