fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OLDNAMES.lib'
Author Message
 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OLDNAMES.lib'

I am pretty new at this whole c++ thing, I use vc7, and I got this error
compiling a program, this oldnames.lib is not on my harddisk, I run win2k, I
tried ignoring this library with the linker, but then i get a bunch of other
errors,

any help please?

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 03:06:18 GMT
 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OLDNAMES.lib'

Quote:
> I am pretty new at this whole c++ thing, I use vc7, and I got this
error
> compiling a program, this oldnames.lib is not on my harddisk, I run
win2k, I
> tried ignoring this library with the linker, but then i get a bunch of
other
> errors,

> any help please?

It's on the VS.NET distribution, but it's installed as a part of some
larger-level install option.  Off hand, I'd guess that it's included in
the "static runtime library", so if you've installed only the DLL
runtime library, you'll be missing the library.

The fact that you get other linker errors if you use
/nodefaultlib:oldnames.lib indicates that you're using something that's
actually defined in oldnames.lib.

HTH

-cd

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 03:49:36 GMT
 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OLDNAMES.lib'
thx, very much, i'll try and install some more options... hope that helps...

Quote:

> > I am pretty new at this whole c++ thing, I use vc7, and I got this
> error
> > compiling a program, this oldnames.lib is not on my harddisk, I run
> win2k, I
> > tried ignoring this library with the linker, but then i get a bunch of
> other
> > errors,

> > any help please?

> It's on the VS.NET distribution, but it's installed as a part of some
> larger-level install option.  Off hand, I'd guess that it's included in
> the "static runtime library", so if you've installed only the DLL
> runtime library, you'll be missing the library.

> The fact that you get other linker errors if you use
> /nodefaultlib:oldnames.lib indicates that you're using something that's
> actually defined in oldnames.lib.

> HTH

> -cd

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:08:57 GMT
 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OLDNAMES.lib'
i'm sorry, but that didn't help, i installed like everything on my .net
cd's, and no oldnames.lib to be seen...
could you maybe upload that file somewhere?

pretty please?

Quote:

> > I am pretty new at this whole c++ thing, I use vc7, and I got this
> error
> > compiling a program, this oldnames.lib is not on my harddisk, I run
> win2k, I
> > tried ignoring this library with the linker, but then i get a bunch of
> other
> > errors,

> > any help please?

> It's on the VS.NET distribution, but it's installed as a part of some
> larger-level install option.  Off hand, I'd guess that it's included in
> the "static runtime library", so if you've installed only the DLL
> runtime library, you'll be missing the library.

> The fact that you get other linker errors if you use
> /nodefaultlib:oldnames.lib indicates that you're using something that's
> actually defined in oldnames.lib.

> HTH

> -cd

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:15:22 GMT
 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OLDNAMES.lib'

Quote:
> i'm sorry, but that didn't help, i installed like everything on my
.net
> cd's, and no oldnames.lib to be seen...
> could you maybe upload that file somewhere?

> pretty please?

'fraid not.  If you've done a full install, you should have the file:

 Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\lib

01/05/2002  01:58a              65,372 oldnames.lib

I have no idea what setup option you have to check to get it - I have
literally installed everything, and I have it.  On another machine, I
did a minimal install of C# and C++, and there I don't have it.  One of
the options in between must pick it up.  Sorry I can't tell you anything
more helpful.

Maybe one of the MS folks can illuminate us as to what setup option
brings that library in.

-cd

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:37:23 GMT
 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OLDNAMES.lib'
I fell in the same trap. Cant find this "oldname.dll"

I think their is problems overall with .lib because some are distributed with
different compiler option... So you and up mixing code that Unicode, multi byte, using statically
link run time, using multithreaded dll runtime, etc.. etc..

I tried to streamline my VS install on this laptop to pure C++, DLL multithreaded run time.
Probably something rarely done nowadays :)

Stephan

Quote:

> > i'm sorry, but that didn't help, i installed like everything on my
> .net
> > cd's, and no oldnames.lib to be seen...
> > could you maybe upload that file somewhere?

> > pretty please?

> 'fraid not.  If you've done a full install, you should have the file:

>  Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\lib

> 01/05/2002  01:58a              65,372 oldnames.lib

> I have no idea what setup option you have to check to get it - I have
> literally installed everything, and I have it.  On another machine, I
> did a minimal install of C# and C++, and there I don't have it.  One of
> the options in between must pick it up.  Sorry I can't tell you anything
> more helpful.

> Maybe one of the MS folks can illuminate us as to what setup option
> brings that library in.

> -cd

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:04:33 GMT

1. fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'excpt.h': No such file or directory

2. Fatal LNK1104: Cannot open LIBCD.LIB

3. fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'mfc42.lib'

4. LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'mfc42d.lib'

5. LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libcpmt.lib'

6. LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libci.lib'

7. Linker cannot open file 'mfc70ud.lib'

8. Newbie - Compile error (Cannot open include file: 'xmldom.idl': No such file or directory)

9. BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\Debug\StdAfx.sbr': No such file or directory

10. LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42u.lib"

11. LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'DTL32.lib'

12. Cannot open include file: 'crtdbg.h'