Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0
Author Message
 Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0

I am porting over thousands of lines of code from VC6 to VC7.  I got
everything to compile and build relatively easy.  However when I go to run,
the string operations do NOT work.  VC7 must default to UNICODE.  Does
anybody know if there is a switch to disable UNICODE?

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:27:30 GMT
 Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0
VC7 assuredely does NOT default to UNICODE - your problem lies elsewhere.

Perhaps you could provide some more clues?

-cd

Quote:
> I am porting over thousands of lines of code from VC6 to VC7.  I got
> everything to compile and build relatively easy.  However when I go to
run,
> the string operations do NOT work.  VC7 must default to UNICODE.  Does
> anybody know if there is a switch to disable UNICODE?

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:50:27 GMT
 Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0
VC7 does not default to UNICODE, it defaults to multi-byte. To change the
setting, right click on your project in the solution explorer and select
"Properties...".
Under the "General" configuration properties section the third-to-last item
is "Character Set", you can choose between Unicode and Multi-byte there.

Quote:
> I am porting over thousands of lines of code from VC6 to VC7.  I got
> everything to compile and build relatively easy.  However when I go to
run,
> the string operations do NOT work.  VC7 must default to UNICODE.  Does
> anybody know if there is a switch to disable UNICODE?

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:54:02 GMT
 Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0
The STL string functions don't work, see below:
bool GVConfig::loadConfig(LPCTSTR lpszPathName)

{

// Store current configuration file name

string fileName(lpszPathName);

Quote:
}

... fileName = garbage.

Is there a way for VC7 to use ASCII, instead of Muti-byte or Unicode?  Or do
I have another problem somewhere....  Should the STL string functions work
with VC7???

Quote:
> VC7 does not default to UNICODE, it defaults to multi-byte. To change the
> setting, right click on your project in the solution explorer and select
> "Properties...".
> Under the "General" configuration properties section the third-to-last
item
> is "Character Set", you can choose between Unicode and Multi-byte there.

> > I am porting over thousands of lines of code from VC6 to VC7.  I got
> > everything to compile and build relatively easy.  However when I go to
> run,
> > the string operations do NOT work.  VC7 must default to UNICODE.  Does
> > anybody know if there is a switch to disable UNICODE?

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 05:04:37 GMT
 Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0

Quote:
> The STL string functions don't work, see below:
> bool GVConfig::loadConfig(LPCTSTR lpszPathName)

> {

> // Store current configuration file name

> string fileName(lpszPathName);

> }

> ... fileName = garbage.

> Is there a way for VC7 to use ASCII, instead of Muti-byte or Unicode?  Or
do
> I have another problem somewhere....  Should the STL string functions work
> with VC7???

You may be jumping to a wrong conclusion based on a bug in the VC7
de{*filter*} - the de{*filter*} will not correctly show the value of std::string
variables with lengths less than 16 characters.

Search (using the microsoft web-based newsreader) for past articles in this
newgroup which refer to "EEStdString.cpp" - which is a de{*filter*} add-on which
corrects the bug.  The original posting was from Jason Shirk, but recently
people have been unable to locate his original posting. I've re-posted the
source at least twice, so I know it's out there.

Bottom line:  yes, the STL string functions work just fine in VC7 - better
than in VC6.

-cd

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 05:21:17 GMT
 Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0

Quote:

> I am porting over thousands of lines of code from VC6 to VC7.  I got
> everything to compile and build relatively easy.  However when I go to run,
> the string operations do NOT work.  VC7 must default to UNICODE.  Does
> anybody know if there is a switch to disable UNICODE?

Got to Project properties.
Set Debug/Release Character set to UNICODE.
Might work!

-Nimish

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:32:28 GMT
 Is there a switch to disable UNICODE in VC7.0
The fix for this is listed in the thread Carl references. If you want to
check the values of your strings without generating the .dll referenced in
this thread you can just quick watch the string (<shift-F9>) and expand the
_Bx member. The correct string will be in _Buf for short strings _Ptr for
long strings.

Quote:

> > The STL string functions don't work, see below:
> > bool GVConfig::loadConfig(LPCTSTR lpszPathName)

> > {

> > // Store current configuration file name

> > string fileName(lpszPathName);

> > }

> > ... fileName = garbage.

> > Is there a way for VC7 to use ASCII, instead of Muti-byte or Unicode?
Or
> do
> > I have another problem somewhere....  Should the STL string functions
work
> > with VC7???

> You may be jumping to a wrong conclusion based on a bug in the VC7
> de{*filter*} - the de{*filter*} will not correctly show the value of std::string
> variables with lengths less than 16 characters.

> Search (using the microsoft web-based newsreader) for past articles in
this
> newgroup which refer to "EEStdString.cpp" - which is a de{*filter*} add-on
which
> corrects the bug.  The original posting was from Jason Shirk, but recently
> people have been unable to locate his original posting. I've re-posted the
> source at least twice, so I know it's out there.

> Bottom line:  yes, the STL string functions work just fine in VC7 - better
> than in VC6.

> -cd

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:41:42 GMT

1. I am having troubles with the switch()

2. Unicode via wofstream: What am I doing wrong?

3. unicode switch

4. How do I disable a task switching (Alt+TAB)

5. disable task switch-Ctrl+esc

6. Disable Task Switching

7. How to disable task switching on NT

8. How to disable MDIChild frame switching?

9. Disable task switching

10. Error disabling UNICODE

11. I am new to programming and am lost

12. possible bug in VC6, VC7, VC7.1