VS.NET and resources
Author Message
 VS.NET and resources

Having installed the full version of VS.NET on a clean install of XP, and
getting my latest source files from VSS, my executable is always out of date
because the resources always want to be recompiled. I have checked dates on
source files, and are all OK, but each time I run the app (same of both apps
I am developing), it says that the resources are out of date.

Is this a bug in the release version of VS.NET?

Graham

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:38:11 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
Look in your .rc file for an #ifdef around #include. If you are doing this,
it may cause a rebuild to occur. The deps engine doesn't know do conditional
lines when parsing .rc files for dependencies.

To handle this case, you can add the file your #include through #ifdef to
the sysincl.dat file. Sysincl.dat is used to exclude files, and directories
from build dependency checking. Very handy to use if you are point to a
common lib and header folder that you use, but never change. Can speed up
build times. You VS7 installed is excluded from dependency checking by
default. You can find details on how to use this file in the help docs under

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vccore/html/_core_Excluding_Files_When_Dependenc
y_Checking.htm

However: If you are using the PDC release (some people call it RC1), then is
a known bug with using relative paths for the Additional Include paths for
RC, CL, and MIDL tools. This was fixed for the final release of VS7

Let me know if this information was helpful.

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved

Quote:
> Having installed the full version of VS.NET on a clean install of XP, and
> getting my latest source files from VSS, my executable is always out of
date
> because the resources always want to be recompiled. I have checked dates
on
> source files, and are all OK, but each time I run the app (same of both
apps
> I am developing), it says that the resources are out of date.

> Is this a bug in the release version of VS.NET?

> Graham

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:39:59 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
I've also hit this problem (which I bugged for the release candidate), and
have not been able to work around it with the SysIncl.dat file.  I've even
tried adding the root path of each of my hard drives.  Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith MacDonald

Quote:
> Look in your .rc file for an #ifdef around #include. If you are doing
this,
> it may cause a rebuild to occur. The deps engine doesn't know do
conditional
> lines when parsing .rc files for dependencies.

> To handle this case, you can add the file your #include through #ifdef to
> the sysincl.dat file. Sysincl.dat is used to exclude files, and
directories
> from build dependency checking. Very handy to use if you are point to a
> common lib and header folder that you use, but never change. Can speed up
> build times. You VS7 installed is excluded from dependency checking by
> default. You can find details on how to use this file in the help docs
under

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vccore/html/_core_Excluding_Files_When_Dependenc

> y_Checking.htm

> However: If you are using the PDC release (some people call it RC1), then
is
> a known bug with using relative paths for the Additional Include paths for
> RC, CL, and MIDL tools. This was fixed for the final release of VS7

> Let me know if this information was helpful.

> --
> Brick
> VC++ Project Model

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved

> > Having installed the full version of VS.NET on a clean install of XP,
and
> > getting my latest source files from VSS, my executable is always out of
> date
> > because the resources always want to be recompiled. I have checked dates
> on
> > source files, and are all OK, but each time I run the app (same of both
> apps
> > I am developing), it says that the resources are out of date.

> > Is this a bug in the release version of VS.NET?

> > Graham

Thu, 15 Jul 2004 02:02:24 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
We just found one other case where this rebuild can occur. Does your
Resource file contain a Custom Resource like a .wav or .avi? Anything that
is binary will do. And is it set as an internal resource, meaning there is
no external file saved, the binary data is in the .rc file?

If the above is true, it will always rebuild. The work around is to save
custom resources as external files. You can do this by selecting the
resource item in the resource view and changing the "External File" property
in the Property Window to True. This will take it out of the .rc file and
write it disk.

Let me know if this helps.

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved

Quote:
> I've also hit this problem (which I bugged for the release candidate), and
> have not been able to work around it with the SysIncl.dat file.  I've even
> tried adding the root path of each of my hard drives.  Any other
> suggestions?

> Thanks,
> Keith MacDonald

> > Look in your .rc file for an #ifdef around #include. If you are doing
> this,
> > it may cause a rebuild to occur. The deps engine doesn't know do
> conditional
> > lines when parsing .rc files for dependencies.

> > To handle this case, you can add the file your #include through #ifdef
> > the sysincl.dat file. Sysincl.dat is used to exclude files, and
> directories
> > from build dependency checking. Very handy to use if you are point to a
> > common lib and header folder that you use, but never change. Can speed
up
> > build times. You VS7 installed is excluded from dependency checking by
> > default. You can find details on how to use this file in the help docs
> under

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vccore/html/_core_Excluding_Files_When_Dependenc

> > y_Checking.htm

> > However: If you are using the PDC release (some people call it RC1),
then
> is
> > a known bug with using relative paths for the Additional Include paths
for
> > RC, CL, and MIDL tools. This was fixed for the final release of VS7

> > Let me know if this information was helpful.

> > --
> > Brick
> > VC++ Project Model

> rights.
> > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
> > reserved

> > > Having installed the full version of VS.NET on a clean install of XP,
> and
> > > getting my latest source files from VSS, my executable is always out
of
> > date
> > > because the resources always want to be recompiled. I have checked
dates
> > on
> > > source files, and are all OK, but each time I run the app (same of
both
> > apps
> > > I am developing), it says that the resources are out of date.

> > > Is this a bug in the release version of VS.NET?

> > > Graham

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:59:52 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
My rc file includes an rc2 file, which in turn includes two more rc files
(these other rc files are shared resources between applications). The only
#ifdefs  around #include are the ones between #ifdef APSTUDIO_INVOKED. I am
using the full version of VS.NET (download from MSDN a few days ago).
Previously I was using Beta 2, which did not have this problem.

I have no internal binary resources.

Graham

Quote:
> [...]

> > > build times. You VS7 installed is excluded from dependency checking by
> > > default. You can find details on how to use this file in the help docs
> > under

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vccore/html/_core_Excluding_Files_When_Dependenc

> > > y_Checking.htm

> > > However: If you are using the PDC release (some people call it RC1),
> then
> > is
> > > a known bug with using relative paths for the Additional Include paths
> for
> > > RC, CL, and MIDL tools. This was fixed for the final release of VS7

> > > Let me know if this information was helpful.

> > > --
> > > Brick
> > > VC++ Project Model

> > rights.
> > > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:42:19 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
Unfortunately, this does not apply to my RC file either.  It has no custom
resources.

Keith MacDonald

Quote:
> [...]

> > > build times. You VS7 installed is excluded from dependency checking by
> > > default. You can find details on how to use this file in the help docs
> > under

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vccore/html/_core_Excluding_Files_When_Dependenc

> > > y_Checking.htm

> > > However: If you are using the PDC release (some people call it RC1),
> then
> > is
> > > a known bug with using relative paths for the Additional Include paths
> for
> > > RC, CL, and MIDL tools. This was fixed for the final release of VS7

> > > Let me know if this information was helpful.

> > > --
> > > Brick
> > > VC++ Project Model

> > rights.
> > > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:42:50 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
I will need a copy of your .rc and Project file (.vcproj) to be able to
track this issue down.

Thank you.

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved

Quote:
> Unfortunately, this does not apply to my RC file either.  It has no custom
> resources.

> Keith MacDonald

> > We just found one other case where this rebuild can occur. Does your
> > Resource file contain a Custom Resource like a .wav or .avi? Anything
that
> > is binary will do. And is it set as an internal resource, meaning there
is
> > no external file saved, the binary data is in the .rc file?

> > If the above is true, it will always rebuild. The work around is to save
> > custom resources as external files. You can do this by selecting the
> > resource item in the resource view and changing the "External File"
> property
> > in the Property Window to True. This will take it out of the .rc file
and
> > write it disk.

> > Let me know if this helps.

> > --
> > Brick
> > VC++ Project Model

> rights.
> > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
> > reserved

> > > I've also hit this problem (which I bugged for the release candidate),
> and
> > > have not been able to work around it with the SysIncl.dat file.  I've
> even
> > > tried adding the root path of each of my hard drives.  Any other
> > > suggestions?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Keith MacDonald

> > > this,
> > > conditional

> > > directories
> > up
> > > under

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vccore/html/_core_Excluding_Files_When_Dependenc

> > then
> > > is
> > for

> > > rights.
> > rights

> XP,
> > > and
> > of
> > dates
> > both

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:16:23 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
To be able to track your issue down, I will need a copy of your Project file
(.vcproj), and the .rc files.

Thank you.

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved

Quote:
> My rc file includes an rc2 file, which in turn includes two more rc files
> (these other rc files are shared resources between applications). The only
> #ifdefs  around #include are the ones between #ifdef APSTUDIO_INVOKED. I
am
> using the full version of VS.NET (download from MSDN a few days ago).
> Previously I was using Beta 2, which did not have this problem.

> I have no internal binary resources.

> Graham

> > We just found one other case where this rebuild can occur. Does your
> > Resource file contain a Custom Resource like a .wav or .avi? Anything
that
> > is binary will do. And is it set as an internal resource, meaning there
is
> > no external file saved, the binary data is in the .rc file?

> > If the above is true, it will always rebuild. The work around is to save
> > custom resources as external files. You can do this by selecting the
> > resource item in the resource view and changing the "External File"
> property
> > in the Property Window to True. This will take it out of the .rc file
and
> > write it disk.

> > Let me know if this helps.

> > --
> > Brick
> > VC++ Project Model

> rights.
> > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
> > reserved

> > > I've also hit this problem (which I bugged for the release candidate),
> and
> > > have not been able to work around it with the SysIncl.dat file.  I've
> even
> > > tried adding the root path of each of my hard drives.  Any other
> > > suggestions?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Keith MacDonald

> > > this,
> > > conditional

> > > directories
> > up
> > > under

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vccore/html/_core_Excluding_Files_When_Dependenc

> > then
> > > is
> > for

> > > rights.
> > rights

> XP,
> > > and
> > of
> > dates
> > both

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:15:36 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
I think we were able to tack this one down.

If you have multiple resource files (.rc and rc2 and such) that include each
other and they aren't in the project directory, you can get into a
rebuild problem if they have an #includes to a file that sits in the project
directory. At build time it works fine because the Project Dir is the CWD,
but at deps scan time, it's not.

Work around is to add "$(ProjectDir)" to the Resource Additional Include
Directory property. This way the dependency scanner can pick up the
project directory as path to scan.

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved

Quote:
> Having installed the full version of VS.NET on a clean install of XP, and
> getting my latest source files from VSS, my executable is always out of
date
> because the resources always want to be recompiled. I have checked dates
on
> source files, and are all OK, but each time I run the app (same of both
apps
> I am developing), it says that the resources are out of date.

> Is this a bug in the release version of VS.NET?

> Graham

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:31:41 GMT
 VS.NET and resources
Thanks, works a treat.

Regards,
Graham

Quote:
> I think we were able to tack this one down.

> If you have multiple resource files (.rc and rc2 and such) that include
each
> other and they aren't in the project directory, you can get into a
> rebuild problem if they have an #includes to a file that sits in the
project
> directory. At build time it works fine because the Project Dir is the CWD,
> but at deps scan time, it's not.

> Work around is to add "$(ProjectDir)" to the Resource Additional Include
> Directory property. This way the dependency scanner can pick up the
> project directory as path to scan.

> --
> Brick
> VC++ Project Model

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved

> > Having installed the full version of VS.NET on a clean install of XP,
and
> > getting my latest source files from VSS, my executable is always out of
> date
> > because the resources always want to be recompiled. I have checked dates
> on
> > source files, and are all OK, but each time I run the app (same of both
> apps
> > I am developing), it says that the resources are out of date.

> > Is this a bug in the release version of VS.NET?

> > Graham

Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:53:28 GMT

1. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

2. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

3. How to add image into resource file using VS.NET

4. Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor

5. Writing cyrilic in VS .NET resource editor

6. How to load a VS.NET embedded bitmap resource

7. VS.Net & Resource

8. Adding Resources to C# in VS.Net

9. Cool Resources Editor/Viewer for .NET + sourcecode (.resources/.resX)

10. any resource for CE.net on the net ?

11. VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)

12. VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0