com and com+ in .net
Author Message
 com and com+ in .net

Sorry if my question seem to be martian...

What is the future of COM and COM+ in the new .NET era? I must admit I am
new to .NET but I am curious how do you feel about the place of these mature
technologies in the new .NET context.

TIA

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:04:52 GMT
 com and com+ in .net

Quote:

> Sorry if my question seem to be martian...

> What is the future of COM and COM+ in the new .NET era? I must admit
> I am new to .NET but I am curious how do you feel about the place of
> these mature technologies in the new .NET context.

Unchanged.  COM and COM+ are fully intermixable with .NET.  You can use COM
objects from .NET, you can implement COM objects with .NET.  The .NET
framework provides specific support for COM+ services.

My $0.02

-cd

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:41:24 GMT
 com and com+ in .net
My feeling is that existence of COM/COM+ will be due to legacy applications.
If one is writing a new app, .net is the way to go.

HTH

Quote:

> > Sorry if my question seem to be martian...

> > What is the future of COM and COM+ in the new .NET era? I must admit
> > I am new to .NET but I am curious how do you feel about the place of
> > these mature technologies in the new .NET context.

> Unchanged.  COM and COM+ are fully intermixable with .NET.  You can use
COM
> objects from .NET, you can implement COM objects with .NET.  The .NET
> framework provides specific support for COM+ services.

> My $0.02

> -cd

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:06:12 GMT
 com and com+ in .net
That's exactly what I was afraid of.  Is the general opinion the same, .NET
will obsolete somehow COM/COM+?

Quote:
> My feeling is that existence of COM/COM+ will be due to legacy
applications.
> If one is writing a new app, .net is the way to go.

> HTH

> > > Sorry if my question seem to be martian...

> > > What is the future of COM and COM+ in the new .NET era? I must admit
> > > I am new to .NET but I am curious how do you feel about the place of
> > > these mature technologies in the new .NET context.

> > Unchanged.  COM and COM+ are fully intermixable with .NET.  You can use
> COM
> > objects from .NET, you can implement COM objects with .NET.  The .NET
> > framework provides specific support for COM+ services.

> > My $0.02

> > -cd

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:42:08 GMT
 com and com+ in .net
.NET relies on COM+ for its enterprise features.  At least for the
time being these technologies are complimentary.  And COM is one of
the core technologies that is not going away any time soon either,
although from the client's perspective, there will be more and more
.NET managed APIs exposed over time, which will provide developer with
a choice of interfaces.

Regards,

Slava Gurevich

On Wed, 7 May 2003 12:42:08 +0300, "Romulus Marius Mare"

Quote:

>That's exactly what I was afraid of.  Is the general opinion the same, .NET
>will obsolete somehow COM/COM+?

>> My feeling is that existence of COM/COM+ will be due to legacy
>applications.
>> If one is writing a new app, .net is the way to go.

>> HTH

>> > Unchanged.  COM and COM+ are fully intermixable with .NET.  You can use
>> COM
>> > objects from .NET, you can implement COM objects with .NET.  The .NET
>> > framework provides specific support for COM+ services.

>> > My $0.02

>> > -cd

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:50:51 GMT
 com and com+ in .net

Quote:

> If one is writing a new app, .net is the way to go.

Ah, and how do you get the services offered by COM+ in .NET?

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:39:10 GMT
 com and com+ in .net

Quote:

> Sorry if my question seem to be martian...

LOL :)

Quote:

> What is the future of COM and COM+ in the new .NET era? I must admit
> I am new to .NET but I am curious how do you feel about the place of
> these mature technologies in the new .NET context.

COM will die some day. Like DDE had a slow death :)
COM+ hm... Until now COM+ offers many services which are not part of .NET.
I'm not sure whether MS will port it or not.

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:37:51 GMT
 com and com+ in .net

Quote:
> Ah, and how do you get the services offered by COM+ in .NET?

Through API calls and attributes.

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:13:42 GMT
 com and com+ in .net

Quote:

>> Ah, and how do you get the services offered by COM+ in .NET?

> Through API calls and attributes.

APIs, attributes? And the services come from out of the blue? :)
The APIs and attributes result in calls whichs interops with COM+.

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:54:00 GMT
 com and com+ in .net
So until then its "COM+ is dead. Long live COM+"!  ;-)

--
Michael D. Long
Microsoft MVP - Windows SDK

Quote:

> > Sorry if my question seem to be martian...

> LOL :)

> > What is the future of COM and COM+ in the new .NET era? I must admit
> > I am new to .NET but I am curious how do you feel about the place of
> > these mature technologies in the new .NET context.

> COM will die some day. Like DDE had a slow death :)
> COM+ hm... Until now COM+ offers many services which are not part of .NET.
> I'm not sure whether MS will port it or not.

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:10:43 GMT
 com and com+ in .net
Hihihihihihihihi  =:o)
Quote:
> So until then its "COM+ is dead. Long live COM+"!  ;-)

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:18:16 GMT
 com and com+ in .net

Quote:
> > Through API calls and attributes.

> APIs, attributes? And the services come from out of the blue? :)
> The APIs and attributes result in calls whichs interops with COM+.

the tell-tale sign, for me, that .NET will have a new "COM+" architecture
soon (?) is exactly what Lars-Inge talks about -  attributes.

As soon as the new .NET component services architecture, which is of course
going to be 100% .NET too, is available we won't even need to recompile ...
simply re-register the existing .NET components with a new .NET registration
utility and viola!

you can see I am dreaming, heh! :)

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 05:19:03 GMT
 com and com+ in .net

Quote:
> COM will die some day. Like DDE had a slow death :)

DDE was an {*filter*}.  It never really lived to die a slow death, if you
asked my 2c. :)

Quote:
> COM+ hm... Until now COM+ offers many services which are not part of .NET.
> I'm not sure whether MS will port it or not.

I think otherwise.  I somehow get the feeling MS will launch a 100% .NET
version of COM+ soon.  A whole new set of toys too (rubbing hands) .... I
hope.

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 05:24:14 GMT

1. com and com+ in .net

2. Selling your product: cnet.com, smaller.com, mobileplanet.com, regnow.com, pocketgear.com, handango.com or what?

3. ATL COM - Passing ATL COM classes through another ATL COM class in the same app

4. .NET: COM vs NET

5. Using a COM object in .NET that calls back to the invoking .NET class

6. com+ and .net

7. com+ & .net

8. .net and com+

9. Use .NET (C#) DLL in Regular COM/COM+

10. http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-965046.html

11. COM Interop - How to pass C# uint array to COM interface which takes UINT *pArray

12. COM Architecture and Inside COM