VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0
Author Message
 VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0

Hi

Can I use VS.NET to create regular Windows and console applications, what
platforms (versions of Windows, of course) will they run on, and is there
any reason to use VS.NET for this purpose instead of VC++ 6.0 ? I'm mostly
interested in ANSI/ISO compatibility of the language. VC++ 6.0 had issues
with it, AFAIK.

Thanks
Oleg

Sun, 05 Sep 2004 09:19:23 GMT
 VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0

Quote:

> Can I use VS.NET to create regular Windows and console applications, what
> platforms (versions of Windows, of course) will they run on, and is there
> any reason to use VS.NET for this purpose instead of VC++ 6.0 ? I'm mostly
> interested in ANSI/ISO compatibility of the language. VC++ 6.0 had issues
> with it, AFAIK.

Hi Oleg,
  Yes, you can still write unmanaged (sometimes called native) applications
with Visual C++ .NET.  In fact, there are a number of benefits in moving to
Visual Studio .NET.  Some of these are much better optimization in general
and new optimization (such as whole program) that can make code both faster
and smaller.  There's also a smashing good new de{*filter*} that just makes
things so much nicer.  MFC and ATL have many new things that are just
marvelously good.  ANSI/ISO conformance is better than VC6, but as many
people here will be quick to tell you -- we still have room for improvement.

--
Cheerio!
Brandon Bray                Program Manager in the Visual C++ Compiler Team

And now a word from the lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:44:50 GMT
 VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0
VS.NET won't install on Win9x.

VC7 has fewer C++ compliance problems than VC6, but still has quite a few.
VC7 has a number of optimizer improvements so programs built with VC7
generally run faster (release builds, not true for debug builds where VC7
apps run a lot slower).

There are some nice features in the new de{*filter*} in VS.NET.  The new IDE is
either a great feature or a horrible step backwards, depending on who's
opining.

-cd

Quote:
> Hi

> Can I use VS.NET to create regular Windows and console applications, what
> platforms (versions of Windows, of course) will they run on, and is there
> any reason to use VS.NET for this purpose instead of VC++ 6.0 ? I'm mostly
> interested in ANSI/ISO compatibility of the language. VC++ 6.0 had issues
> with it, AFAIK.

> Thanks
> Oleg

Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:50:07 GMT
 VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0

Quote:

> > Can I use VS.NET to create regular Windows and console applications,
what
> > platforms (versions of Windows, of course) will they run on, and is
there
> > any reason to use VS.NET for this purpose instead of VC++ 6.0 ? I'm
mostly
> > interested in ANSI/ISO compatibility of the language. VC++ 6.0 had
issues
> > with it, AFAIK.

> Hi Oleg,
>   Yes, you can still write unmanaged (sometimes called native)
applications
> with Visual C++ .NET.  In fact, there are a number of benefits in moving
> Visual Studio .NET.  Some of these are much better optimization in general
> and new optimization (such as whole program) that can make code both
faster
> and smaller.  There's also a smashing good new de{*filter*} that just makes
> things so much nicer.  MFC and ATL have many new things that are just
> marvelously good.  ANSI/ISO conformance is better than VC6, but as many
> people here will be quick to tell you -- we still have room for
improvement.

> --
> Cheerio!
> Brandon Bray                Program Manager in the Visual C++ Compiler
Team

> And now a word from the lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
> warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ?
2002
> Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Hello Brandon,

I think microsoft should be a little more forthcoming on C++ optimization.

> Some of these are much better optimization in general
> and new optimization (such as whole program) that can make code both
faster
> and smaller.

I am using Visual C++.Net and for release builds 1) "Global Optimaztion" is
"No" and I cannot change it, 2) many of the optimization options cannot be
changed/are disabled.

It is my understanding that some versions of Visual C++.Net do not include
the optimizing compiler (the $99 version doesn't, the $1000 does).

Regards,
John Flegert

Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:58:38 GMT
 VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0

Quote:
> It is my understanding that some versions of Visual C++.Net do not include
> the optimizing compiler
> (the $99 version doesn't, the $1000 does).

This is true...

Greetings
  Jochen

Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:00:19 GMT

1. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

2. VC++ 6.0 vs VC++.NET and IBM UDB Stored Procedures

3. Streams: VC++ 6.0 vs VC.NET 2003

4. VC++ 6.0 vs VC++.Net

5. Installing VS.Net and VS 6.0 side by side

6. VS 6.0 -> VS .NET migration issues

7. install vs.net with VS 6.0 still present?

8. VS 6.0 and VS .NET Beta 1 on the same machine

9. Problem in porting code from VC++ 6.0 to VS.Net (using STL)

10. Error Compiling VC 6.0 program in VS.net B2

11. Singleton Object Activation .NET 2003 Vs. VC++ 6.0

12. VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)