Annoying VS.NET crash 
Author Message
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Hello!

Here is a short sequence that leads to VS.NET crash. Using resource editing
tool, I created a toolbar or open an exsiting one. I want to create a new
button. So I draw my image in Paint (or any other VS outside tool), copy it into
the memory and paste it as a new buton image. Note, the inserted image should be
bigger than a current button size. After confirmation about changing a size, I
change my mind and press CTRL+Z. First, the image started looking like selected
and second, if you select another button (another new or already exisiting) then
VS crashes. I can reproduce it quite easily. It is not just an occasional event.

I hope VS team will pay attention to this info since we have great deal of
toolbar development.

Dmitry



Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:02:06 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
>Here is a short sequence that leads to VS.NET crash. Using resource editing
>tool, I created a toolbar or open an exsiting one. I want to create a new
>button. So I draw my image in Paint (or any other VS outside tool), copy it into
>the memory and paste it as a new buton image. Note, the inserted image should be
>bigger than a current button size. After confirmation about changing a size, I
>change my mind and press CTRL+Z. First, the image started looking like selected
>and second, if you select another button (another new or already exisiting) then
>VS crashes. I can reproduce it quite easily. It is not just an occasional event.

Dmitry,

I've tried what you say but I can't reproduce it.

I assume you answered Yes to the "would you like the bitmap enlarged"
query?

Starting from a default MFC MDI App Wizard generated application
(since it has a toolbar), can you give the exact steps you use to
reproduce the problem.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq



Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:37:10 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
> >Here is a short sequence that leads to VS.NET crash. Using resource editing
> >tool, I created a toolbar or open an exsiting one. I want to create a new
> >button. So I draw my image in Paint (or any other VS outside tool), copy it into
> >the memory and paste it as a new buton image. Note, the inserted image should be
> >bigger than a current button size. After confirmation about changing a size, I
> >change my mind and press CTRL+Z. First, the image started looking like selected
> >and second, if you select another button (another new or already exisiting) then
> >VS crashes. I can reproduce it quite easily. It is not just an occasional event.

> Dmitry,

> I've tried what you say but I can't reproduce it.

> I assume you answered Yes to the "would you like the bitmap enlarged"
> query?

> Starting from a default MFC MDI App Wizard generated application
> (since it has a toolbar), can you give the exact steps you use to
> reproduce the problem.

> Dave

Well, then either I am not sure that I wrote everything correct or it is a
problem of my computer. Once again:

1. Create a new default MDI application using App Wizard (save it after that)
2. Press Ctrl+Shift+E to open Resource Editor
3. Open toolbar and select a new button to draw
4. Open Paint, create an image 20x20, select all and copy it into the clipboard
5. Go back to the Resource Editor and paste the content of the clipboard
6. Say Yes when ask about to increase a size
7. Press Ctrl+Z to undo changes; the buttons should become again of orignal size
  and the one you are working with should be framed with a dashed rectangle.
8. Select any other button on the toolbar; you should have a crash.

If it is not true than I must regret about what I have here. And probably say
sorry for beging suspicious. Though thanks for checking.

Dmitry



Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:08:44 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash


Quote:
> 1. Create a new default MDI application using App Wizard (save it after
that)
> 2. Press Ctrl+Shift+E to open Resource Editor
> 3. Open toolbar and select a new button to draw
> 4. Open Paint, create an image 20x20, select all and copy it into the
clipboard
> 5. Go back to the Resource Editor and paste the content of the clipboard
> 6. Say Yes when ask about to increase a size
> 7. Press Ctrl+Z to undo changes; the buttons should become again of
orignal size
>   and the one you are working with should be framed with a dashed
rectangle.
> 8. Select any other button on the toolbar; you should have a crash.

> If it is not true than I must regret about what I have here. And probably
say
> sorry for beging suspicious. Though thanks for checking.

With nothing else todo, I tried it too and it doesn't crash here either. I
use winxp, maybe it's OS related?

I do have another crashing bug, although not annoying. Fire up VS, at the
bottom will be the output window with an empty listbox. Click on the listbox
and press escape to close it.....and there you have it. Can probably be
fixed in no time.



Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:44:07 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
>1. Create a new default MDI application using App Wizard (save it after that)
>2. Press Ctrl+Shift+E to open Resource Editor
>3. Open toolbar and select a new button to draw
>4. Open Paint, create an image 20x20, select all and copy it into the clipboard
>5. Go back to the Resource Editor and paste the content of the clipboard
>6. Say Yes when ask about to increase a size
>7. Press Ctrl+Z to undo changes; the buttons should become again of orignal size
>  and the one you are working with should be framed with a dashed rectangle.
>8. Select any other button on the toolbar; you should have a crash.

Dmitry,

OK, I've now got a crash, but not quite by the same route - when I
press Ctrl+Z I notice a spurious toolbar button appear, and clicking
that does cause a crash. Clicking one of the existing buttons doesn't
cause a crash (for me).

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq



Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:15:28 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
>I do have another crashing bug, although not annoying. Fire up VS, at the
>bottom will be the output window with an empty listbox. Click on the listbox
>and press escape to close it.....and there you have it. Can probably be
>fixed in no time.

I can't reproduce that :(

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq



Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:15:41 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash
nice!  I can make that one occur very easily.


Quote:



> > 1. Create a new default MDI application using App Wizard (save it after
> that)
> > 2. Press Ctrl+Shift+E to open Resource Editor
> > 3. Open toolbar and select a new button to draw
> > 4. Open Paint, create an image 20x20, select all and copy it into the
> clipboard
> > 5. Go back to the Resource Editor and paste the content of the clipboard
> > 6. Say Yes when ask about to increase a size
> > 7. Press Ctrl+Z to undo changes; the buttons should become again of
> orignal size
> >   and the one you are working with should be framed with a dashed
> rectangle.
> > 8. Select any other button on the toolbar; you should have a crash.

> > If it is not true than I must regret about what I have here. And
probably
> say
> > sorry for beging suspicious. Though thanks for checking.

> With nothing else todo, I tried it too and it doesn't crash here either. I
> use winxp, maybe it's OS related?

> I do have another crashing bug, although not annoying. Fire up VS, at the
> bottom will be the output window with an empty listbox. Click on the
listbox
> and press escape to close it.....and there you have it. Can probably be
> fixed in no time.



Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:28:42 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
> >1. Create a new default MDI application using App Wizard (save it after that)
> >2. Press Ctrl+Shift+E to open Resource Editor
> >3. Open toolbar and select a new button to draw
> >4. Open Paint, create an image 20x20, select all and copy it into the clipboard
> >5. Go back to the Resource Editor and paste the content of the clipboard
> >6. Say Yes when ask about to increase a size
> >7. Press Ctrl+Z to undo changes; the buttons should become again of orignal size
> > and the one you are working with should be framed with a dashed rectangle.
> >8. Select any other button on the toolbar; you should have a crash.

> Dmitry,

> OK, I've now got a crash, but not quite by the same route - when I
> press Ctrl+Z I notice a spurious toolbar button appear, and clicking
> that does cause a crash. Clicking one of the existing buttons doesn't
> cause a crash (for me).

> Dave

Oh, thanks God! I have already started feeling like a moron trying to accuse
innocent VS developers :) Seriously though, it was my fault for giving
inaccurate description but I am glad you managed to do it in the long run. I
hope you will find a solution soon.

Dmitry



Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:49:18 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
>> OK, I've now got a crash, but not quite by the same route - when I
>> press Ctrl+Z I notice a spurious toolbar button appear, and clicking
>> that does cause a crash. Clicking one of the existing buttons doesn't
>> cause a crash (for me).

>Oh, thanks God! I have already started feeling like a moron trying to accuse
>innocent VS developers :) Seriously though, it was my fault for giving
>inaccurate description but I am glad you managed to do it in the long run. I
>hope you will find a solution soon.

So, just to confirm. The crash you experience only happens when you
click the spurious button - not just any button?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq



Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:57:56 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
> >>OK, I've now got a crash, but not quite by the same route - when I
> >>press Ctrl+Z I notice a spurious toolbar button appear, and clicking
> >>that does cause a crash. Clicking one of the existing buttons doesn't
> >>cause a crash (for me).

> >Oh, thanks God! I have already started feeling like a moron trying to accuse
> >innocent VS developers :) Seriously though, it was my fault for giving
> >inaccurate description but I am glad you managed to do it in the long run. I
> >hope you will find a solution soon.

> So, just to confirm. The crash you experience only happens when you
> click the spurious button - not just any button?

> Dave

Well, after I press CTRL+Z, I am in rectangular selection mode. And if I click
on the suspicious button, nothing happens. Moreover if I switch a mode, say,
pencil and start drawing, nothing happens again - I can do it. But if I try to
add another button by clicking on the empty button icon, then it crashes. Yes,
here was my inaccuracy. You must click on the empty button icon (usually the
most right), that in normal circumstances would open a clean drawing area,
whereas I said it could be any other, even exisiting one.

Dmitry



Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:44:53 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
> >>OK, I've now got a crash, but not quite by the same route - when I
> >>press Ctrl+Z I notice a spurious toolbar button appear, and clicking
> >>that does cause a crash. Clicking one of the existing buttons doesn't
> >>cause a crash (for me).

> >Oh, thanks God! I have already started feeling like a moron trying to accuse
> >innocent VS developers :) Seriously though, it was my fault for giving
> >inaccurate description but I am glad you managed to do it in the long run. I
> >hope you will find a solution soon.

> So, just to confirm. The crash you experience only happens when you
> click the spurious button - not just any button?

> Dave

I am not sure if it can be useful for you, but I may send a minidump VS creates
- I have good enough connection to accomplish this.

Dmitry



Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:46:34 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
>I am not sure if it can be useful for you, but I may send a minidump VS creates
>- I have good enough connection to accomplish this.

... I don't, so please don't. :)

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq



Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:29:51 GMT  
 Annoying VS.NET crash

Quote:
> >I am not sure if it can be useful for you, but I may send a minidump VS creates
> >- I have good enough connection to accomplish this.

> ... I don't, so please don't. :)

> Dave

Okay :)

-d



Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:17:22 GMT  
 
 [ 13 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Annoying difference between VS.NET and csc

2. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

3. Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed

4. VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug

5. VS.NET crashing

6. How to crash VS6 or VS.NET?!

7. Deployment tool crashes VS.NET if you add a .obj file

8. IEnumUnknown->Next method causes a crash in MFC 7.1 (VS .net 2003)

9. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

10. Extremely Annoying Bug in the VS IDE

11. Annoying project properties dialog change in .NET

12. Annoying Errors with .NET

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software