Visual C++ 7 supporting non .NET / Native code? 
Author Message
 Visual C++ 7 supporting non .NET / Native code?

Will Visual C++ 7.0 still have the normal native code compiler (which
doesn't use .NET, Common-Language Runtime stuff, etc)?

For stuff like games, where performance is a necessity, .NET seems like it
would be a waste of resources. . . And for other things as well, such as
time-critical stuff like server software, system services, etc.

Thanks

Dan Smith



Sat, 10 May 2003 02:51:25 GMT  
 Visual C++ 7 supporting non .NET / Native code?
Yes, the Visual C++ team is still very dedicated to provide the best support
available for Native C++ developers.

This includes (among other things) continued work on the compiler and the
native libraries.

Pranish



Quote:
> Will Visual C++ 7.0 still have the normal native code compiler (which
> doesn't use .NET, Common-Language Runtime stuff, etc)?

> For stuff like games, where performance is a necessity, .NET seems like it
> would be a waste of resources. . . And for other things as well, such as
> time-critical stuff like server software, system services, etc.

> Thanks

> Dan Smith



Sat, 10 May 2003 03:01:44 GMT  
 Visual C++ 7 supporting non .NET / Native code?
Dan,

Quote:
> Will Visual C++ 7.0 still have the normal native code compiler (which
> doesn't use .NET, Common-Language Runtime stuff, etc)?

Yes, the compiler can still generate unmanaged mode, no need to worry :)
BTW, I remember reading somewhere that they've even made some improvements
to the optimizer, so that should be helpful...

--
Tomas Restrepo [VC++ MVP]
http://www.mvps.org/windev/



Sat, 10 May 2003 03:03:22 GMT  
 Visual C++ 7 supporting non .NET / Native code?
Remember, cl and it's friends are a "native compiler" with a new switch
added to make it generate managed code.

Mike


Quote:
> Will Visual C++ 7.0 still have the normal native code compiler (which
> doesn't use .NET, Common-Language Runtime stuff, etc)?

> For stuff like games, where performance is a necessity, .NET seems like it
> would be a waste of resources. . . And for other things as well, such as
> time-critical stuff like server software, system services, etc.

> Thanks

> Dan Smith



Sat, 10 May 2003 05:00:29 GMT  
 Visual C++ 7 supporting non .NET / Native code?
Yes, we did lots of work on the optimizer. Including an entirely new feature
called "Whole Program Optimization" or sometimes also "Link-Time-Code
generation". This is a way for the compiler (and linker) to operate so that
the compiler can see the source for the entire program at once instead of
just file-per-file. This dramatically increases the possible scope of some
optimizations.

Ronald Laeremans
Visual C++ compiler team


Quote:
> Dan,
> > Will Visual C++ 7.0 still have the normal native code compiler (which
> > doesn't use .NET, Common-Language Runtime stuff, etc)?

> Yes, the compiler can still generate unmanaged mode, no need to worry :)
> BTW, I remember reading somewhere that they've even made some improvements
> to the optimizer, so that should be helpful...

> --
> Tomas Restrepo [VC++ MVP]
> http://www.mvps.org/windev/



Sat, 10 May 2003 08:52:24 GMT  
 Visual C++ 7 supporting non .NET / Native code?
Ronald,

Quote:
> Yes, we did lots of work on the optimizer. Including an entirely new
feature
> called "Whole Program Optimization" or sometimes also "Link-Time-Code
> generation". This is a way for the compiler (and linker) to operate so
that
> the compiler can see the source for the entire program at once instead of
> just file-per-file. This dramatically increases the possible scope of some
> optimizations.

That sounds great. Looking forward to those optimizer improvements,
particularly since Intel's compiler was starting to kick VC++ butt. The only
real downside of Intel's offering is that, in at least the versions I've
used, CL.EXE itself is probably twice as fast than Intel's .... go figure :)

--
Tomas Restrepo [VC++ MVP]
http://www.mvps.org/windev/



Sat, 10 May 2003 20:51:56 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Excel support in Visual C++ .NET?

2. Visual C++ .NET coexisting with Visual C++ v6.0 SP5

3. Visual C++ .NET reviews, comparisons to Visual C++ 6.0

4. Visual C++ 6.0 vs. Visual C++ .NET

5. Visual C++ .NET coexisting with Visual C++ v6.0 SP5

6. DoModal Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual C++ .NET?

7. Can I build .NET program as native code...

8. profiling C++ code with Visual Studio.Net (beta 2)

9. Problem with Visual Studio .NET (C++) - Maximise Speed (/O2) - Unmanaged Code

10. calling from non-net C++ DLL to .net DLL and back

11. How to compile Visual C++ 1.0 source code using Visual C++ 4.0

12. Porting native C++ app to .NET

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software