ICE - bug report guidelines?
Author Message
 ICE - bug report guidelines?

Hello,

Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.2292 for 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2002. All rights reserved.

[...]

    fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
        (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 2701)
         Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
         Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more
information

I get this while compiling a quite complex piece of template code. The code
is well-formed because it compiles and works using Comeau or ICC. How can I
properly file a bug report? Should I also try and isolate the bug? Where
should I submit it?

Thanks for the amazing work, standard compliance is finally great!

Giovanni Bajo

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:50:21 GMT
 ICE - bug report guidelines?

Quote:
> Should I also try and isolate the bug?

Done, it was easier than expected.

-------------------------------
template <typename A>
struct Foo;

template <typename T>
struct Bar : public Foo<T>
{
    typedef typename Foo<T>::A A;
    typedef typename A::B B;

   void func(void)
   {}

   void func(B b)
   {}

Quote:
};

-------------------------------

The code is well-formed. Change anything in the above snippet, and it will
compile. As is, it gives me the ICE reported in the previous post. Hope this
helps.

Giovanni Bajo

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 03:28:14 GMT
 ICE - bug report guidelines?

Quote:

>> Should I also try and isolate the bug?

> Done, it was easier than expected.

Confirmed in RC3 as well.  Consider it reported, Track ID 364409903.  It's
too late for it to be fixed in the 7.1 RTM, but it'll be in the queue for
the next release.

-cd

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 04:30:24 GMT
 ICE - bug report guidelines?

Quote:
> Confirmed in RC3 as well.  Consider it reported, Track ID 364409903.  It's
> too late for it to be fixed in the 7.1 RTM, but it'll be in the queue for
> the next release.

Is there a way I can follow this track ID online?
Too bad that it cannot make it to 7.1 RTM. I have an interesting application
that can't currently be compiled because of this bug, at least. I was
actually hoping to see it working with VC7.1. Will I have to wait another
year or so? Is there any expected timeschedule for a service release or
something?
I will report to this newsgroups other bugs like this. I have several C++
applications using advanced template techinques that might help finding
other bugs in VC7.1.

Giovanni Bajo

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:39:05 GMT
 ICE - bug report guidelines?
Giovanni,

Quote:

> Is there a way I can follow this track ID online?

Not that I know of, sorry!

Quote:
> I will report to this newsgroups other bugs like this. I have several C++
> applications using advanced template techinques that might help finding
> other bugs in VC7.1.

Please do! MS cannot fix what they are not aware of, so getting the word out
about any bug you find its important for the product development. Some
members of the VC++ product team routinely wander through these newsgroups,
so they are a good place to make them aware of any issues you find with the
product, and rest assured we [VC++ MVPs] will also make sure they get notice
of any bugs reported through these channels, in case they might miss it!

Also, if any bug is causing you significant trouble, remember you also have
the option of opening up a support incident with PSS and try requesting a
QFE.

--
Tomas Restrepo

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:48:19 GMT
 ICE - bug report guidelines?

Quote:

>> Confirmed in RC3 as well.  Consider it reported, Track ID 364409903.
>> It's too late for it to be fixed in the 7.1 RTM, but it'll be in the
>> queue for the next release.

> Is there a way I can follow this track ID online?

No, there isn't.  I submitted the bug to the VS.NET 2003 bug tracking
system, and I'll be able to see when its status has been changed to
"postponed for future consideration", which will probably happen on Monday.
Beyond that, I have no visibility into it either.

Quote:
> Too bad that it cannot make it to 7.1 RTM. I have an interesting
> application that can't currently be compiled because of this bug, at
> least. I was actually hoping to see it working with VC7.1. Will I
> have to wait another year or so? Is there any expected timeschedule
> for a service release or something?

I can't tell you that (because I have no knowledge of it).  If it's an
important bug to you, you could try calling product support once 7.1 ships
and request a QFE (hotfix), or there might be a simple workaround (there
usually is).

Quote:
> I will report to this newsgroups other bugs like this. I have several
> C++ applications using advanced template techinques that might help
> finding other bugs in VC7.1.

It never hurts to report them!  I've already logged a bunch of template
bugs, many of the from typing in snippets from Josuttis & Vandevoorde - it's
quite likely that the bug responsible for your particular ICE was already
reported.

-cd

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:52:55 GMT
 ICE - bug report guidelines?

Quote:
> I can't tell you that (because I have no knowledge of it).  If it's an
> important bug to you, you could try calling product support once 7.1 ships
> and request a QFE (hotfix), or there might be a simple workaround (there
> usually is).

Sure, I will look into a workaround first. It's not easy as it would seem
from the snippet, because my original code is actually fairly more complex
and relies on boost::tuple too.

Quote:
> It never hurts to report them!  I've already logged a bunch of template
> bugs, many of the from typing in snippets from Josuttis & Vandevoorde

Yup, I can see that, those guys know their job. I guess you already tried
all of them (http://www.josuttis.com/tmplbook/examples.html).
Thanks anyway for your support, I was just hoping that 7.1 would have worked
for me off the box, but it's rather close actually, we're getting there.
Props to MS for not having dropped us C++ developers.

Giovanni Bajo

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:19:00 GMT

1. BUG report: VC++ 5.0 SP3 erroneously reports c2437 for virtual base classes

2. Reporting bugs to the net (was Re: Another bug in DEC Fortran)

3. Bug reports?

4. Bug report in C++ 2003: Failure to compile inheritance from non-public superclass

5. C++ bug report (using an identifier in its own initializer)

6. C++ bug report went unreviewed

7. unreviewed bug report

8. .Net VC Bug Report

9. Bug Report: Custom Build Step