VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug
Author Message
 VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug

When trying to run my C++ application in the de{*filter*}, VS.NET crashes.  I
have C++/MFC code which originated in VS 6.  After converting to a VS.NET
solution, I added managed C++ code with remoting.  The crash occurs running
on NT4 with SP6.

Copying the solution over to a Win 2K box, I can successfully run the code
in the de{*filter*}, and single step.

Is there a problem with VS.NET on NT4, or is it just my setup that is messed
up?

Bill
--
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;  Components Notebook
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;   C# Notebook

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 03:49:45 GMT
 VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug
Hi Bill,

Quote:
> Is there a problem with VS.NET on NT4, or is it just my setup that is
messed
> up?

I don't know for sure, but perhaps one of the Ms guys can tell you more
info.

Meanwhile, you could check your mdm.exe (the so called "Machine Debug
manager") service to see that it matches the version distributed with
VS.NET. Having mismatched versions of the file can cause trouble to no end.

--
Tomas Restrepo

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 04:07:56 GMT
 VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug
What version of mdm should I have when .NET & VS.NET is installed on NT?  I
have version 7.00.9030.0.

As mentioned in an earlier message, the problem is that VS.NET crashes when
trying to debug unmanaged C++ on NT 4 Workstation.

I erased the hard drive and did a clean install of everything.  NT 4 SP6,
option pack, IE 5.5, critical updates, VS 6 Prof, Office 2K.  Last thing
installed was VS.NET Beta 1.

Still crashes when trying to debug unmanaged C++.

I tried debugging my C# Web Application, with unmanaged debugging enabled.
This also crashes VS.NET.  I then disabled unmanaged debugging, and was
successful in single stepping through the ASP.NET C# code behind.  The
remoting call into my unmanaged C++ also works, but the step into, didn't go
down into the C++ managed and unmanaged code.

thanks

Bill

Quote:
> Hi Bill,
> > Is there a problem with VS.NET on NT4, or is it just my setup that is
> messed
> > up?

> I don't know for sure, but perhaps one of the Ms guys can tell you more
> info.

> Meanwhile, you could check your mdm.exe (the so called "Machine Debug
> manager") service to see that it matches the version distributed with
> VS.NET. Having mismatched versions of the file can cause trouble to no
end.

> --
> Tomas Restrepo

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:19:41 GMT
 VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug
Further testing reveals that the problem is with debugging managed code,
instead of with unmanaged code as I had previously thought.

I went back to an earlier version of my C++ code, which works in Visual C++
6.  I loaded the project in VS.NET and compiled.  Debugging & single
stepping works with no problem.

The next test, was to create a new managed C++ application in VS.NET.  This
creates a program which writes "Hello World" to the console.  The progam
runs successfully from the command line.  In VS.NET, I set a breakpoint on
the line of code which writes the message to the console and clicked the run
button.  This crashes VS.NET.

This problem occurs on NT 4 Workstation with SP6.

Bill

Quote:
> What version of mdm should I have when .NET & VS.NET is installed on NT?
> have version 7.00.9030.0.

> As mentioned in an earlier message, the problem is that VS.NET crashes
when
> trying to debug unmanaged C++ on NT 4 Workstation.

> I erased the hard drive and did a clean install of everything.  NT 4 SP6,
> option pack, IE 5.5, critical updates, VS 6 Prof, Office 2K.  Last thing
> installed was VS.NET Beta 1.

> Still crashes when trying to debug unmanaged C++.

> I tried debugging my C# Web Application, with unmanaged debugging enabled.
> This also crashes VS.NET.  I then disabled unmanaged debugging, and was
> successful in single stepping through the ASP.NET C# code behind.  The
> remoting call into my unmanaged C++ also works, but the step into, didn't
go
> down into the C++ managed and unmanaged code.

> thanks

> Bill

> > Hi Bill,
> > > Is there a problem with VS.NET on NT4, or is it just my setup that is
> > messed
> > > up?

> > I don't know for sure, but perhaps one of the Ms guys can tell you more
> > info.

> > Meanwhile, you could check your mdm.exe (the so called "Machine Debug
> > manager") service to see that it matches the version distributed with
> > VS.NET. Having mismatched versions of the file can cause trouble to no
> end.

> > --
> > Tomas Restrepo

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:43:48 GMT
 VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug
There are issues with debugging Unmanaged + Managed code (what we call
interop debugging) unique to NT4. We are actively investigating (its
something to do with the changes to the CONTEXT structure) but have no fix
yet. For now debug either one or the other (select Native or Managed but not
Mixed or Auto).

Quote:
> Further testing reveals that the problem is with debugging managed code,
> instead of with unmanaged code as I had previously thought.

> I went back to an earlier version of my C++ code, which works in Visual
C++
> 6.  I loaded the project in VS.NET and compiled.  Debugging & single
> stepping works with no problem.

> The next test, was to create a new managed C++ application in VS.NET.
This
> creates a program which writes "Hello World" to the console.  The progam
> runs successfully from the command line.  In VS.NET, I set a breakpoint on
> the line of code which writes the message to the console and clicked the
run
> button.  This crashes VS.NET.

> This problem occurs on NT 4 Workstation with SP6.

> Bill

> > What version of mdm should I have when .NET & VS.NET is installed on NT?
> > have version 7.00.9030.0.

> > As mentioned in an earlier message, the problem is that VS.NET crashes
> when
> > trying to debug unmanaged C++ on NT 4 Workstation.

> > I erased the hard drive and did a clean install of everything.  NT 4
SP6,
> > option pack, IE 5.5, critical updates, VS 6 Prof, Office 2K.  Last thing
> > installed was VS.NET Beta 1.

> > Still crashes when trying to debug unmanaged C++.

> > I tried debugging my C# Web Application, with unmanaged debugging
enabled.
> > This also crashes VS.NET.  I then disabled unmanaged debugging, and was
> > successful in single stepping through the ASP.NET C# code behind.  The
> > remoting call into my unmanaged C++ also works, but the step into,
didn't
> go
> > down into the C++ managed and unmanaged code.

> > thanks

> > Bill

> > > Hi Bill,
> > > messed

> > > I don't know for sure, but perhaps one of the Ms guys can tell you
more
> > > info.

> > > Meanwhile, you could check your mdm.exe (the so called "Machine Debug
> > > manager") service to see that it matches the version distributed with
> > > VS.NET. Having mismatched versions of the file can cause trouble to no
> > end.

> > > --
> > > Tomas Restrepo

Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:41:26 GMT

1. Problems running VS.Net in debug mode

2. Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6

3. New Install of VS.NET brings up IE vs App on debug

4. MSDEV-CRASH when trying to debug app

5. MSDEV-CRASH when trying to debug app

6. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

7. Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging

8. VS .Net Help keeps trying to download?

9. VC++ 6.0 debug builds crash with Intellimouse point32.exe running

10. Program runs fine in debug mode, but crashes in release mode

11. hlp with dreaded runs in DEBUG crashes in RELEASE

12. Annoying VS.NET crash