Emulate VC 6.0 Compiler/Linker
Author Message
 Emulate VC 6.0 Compiler/Linker

I've replaced VS 6.0 with VS .NET and am getting numerous
compiler errors and linker warnings when compiling our
legacy C++ code under VS .NET. Is there a way to adjust
the project settings so that the code will compile like
it did under 6.0?

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:17:45 GMT
 Emulate VC 6.0 Compiler/Linker

Quote:
> I've replaced VS 6.0 with VS .NET and am getting numerous
> compiler errors and linker warnings when compiling our
> legacy C++ code under VS .NET. Is there a way to adjust
> the project settings so that the code will compile like
> it did under 6.0?

Quick answer: No, you cannot change the project settings to compile like it
did under 6.0.

VC .NET is a slightly more compliant C++ compiler that VC6 (VC .NET 2003 is
MUCH more compliant).  There are also an awful lot of new warnings, some of
which can be quite helpful (others are generally frustrating).  You can turn
off individual warnings using

#pragma warning(disable:###)

inserted liberally in headers and source code, or adding -wd#### to your
compile command line.

You might want to take a look at those errors and warnings to see if they're
pointing out real bugs.  Aside from that, I need more details before I can
be of more help.  Specifically, what errors & warnings are you getting?  Are
the failures only in your own code, or are they in library code/headers?
I'd be happy to help you out, if you can give me additional more
information.

FYI - VS .NET 2003 will probably compound your frustration, because it's
about 98% ANSI C++ compliant.  If you want to continue to use the latest
compilers, you're going to have to migrate your legacy C++ code.  That's the
price you pay for developing in a language that was only recently
standardized.  Though, since it has been standardized, that penalty is only
a one-time issue.

Please feel free to e-mail me directly... (just delete .deletethis. from the
address below)

--

Visual C++ Team

Sun, 01 May 2005 03:00:19 GMT
 Emulate VC 6.0 Compiler/Linker

Quote:
> [...] That's the
> price you pay for developing in a language that was only recently
> standardized.  Though, since it has been standardized, that penalty is only
> a one-time issue.

  Well, I can't let this go without mentioning
  that the real trouble is, that MS took ages to
  realize that std conformance is important to
  their customers. The language you're speaking
  of has been standardized since 1998. The next
  version of the standard is generally expected
  to appear 2008. That means we're almost halfway
  through the lifetime of the current version of
  this standard. (If you continue the current
  pace, MS will have a decent bug free std C++
  compiler -- and I'm not talking of 'extern'
  here! -- at about the time the new std version
  is due.)
  _That_ is, why many of your customers only now
  realize, that the code they have won't compile
  on a decent std compliant compiler.
  While the standardization indeed took very
  long, it didn't take _that_ long and it's
  unfair to blame to be released only recently.

  (You surely wouldn't say Win98 was released
  only recently, would you?)

Quote:
> [...]

  Schobi

--

I'm HSchober at gmx dot de

Fri, 20 May 2005 19:29:41 GMT

1. How to use VC 7.0 C++ compiler from VC 6.0 IDE

2. Linker problem (VC 6.0) LNK2001

3. Missing VC++.NET Compiler and Linker Options tab

4. How to work command line compiler -linker in VC++4.0

5. VC++ 6.0 Editor Emulates VI?

6. VC 6.0 gives compiler error for map

7. VC 6.0 compiler bug

8. vc++ 6.0 sp5 internal compiler error with /EHa

9. vc 6.0 compiler errors

10. Error in VC 6.0 SP1 Compiler?

11. Error in VC 6.0 SP1 Compiler?

12. Incremental linker bug in VC++6/SP5 and VC++.NET