Problems with implicit linkning
Author Message
 Problems with implicit linkning

Hi

I have made an application in Visual Studio 6.0 that is using a dll called
librfc32.dll. This dll provides methods which enables you to communicate
from SAP to the outside world. This dll is delivered with an .h and .lib
file and I am therefore using the implicit linking method and everything
works fine.
Then I upgraded to Visual Studio .Net and I imported and build the program
with no problems. But when I run the program it crashes the first time a
call to a method defined in the librfc32.dll is called.
I have tried to compare compiler settings and they seems equal. But I can se
that the new compiler introduces many new options, and maybe one of them is
set wrongly by default.
Can anyone help me?

best regards

/Michael

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:06:51 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
Did you debug it to see exactly what is going wrong where?

Ronald

Quote:
> Hi

> I have made an application in Visual Studio 6.0 that is using a dll called
> librfc32.dll. This dll provides methods which enables you to communicate
> from SAP to the outside world. This dll is delivered with an .h and .lib
> file and I am therefore using the implicit linking method and everything
> works fine.
> Then I upgraded to Visual Studio .Net and I imported and build the program
> with no problems. But when I run the program it crashes the first time a
> call to a method defined in the librfc32.dll is called.
> I have tried to compare compiler settings and they seems equal. But I can
se
> that the new compiler introduces many new options, and maybe one of them
is
> set wrongly by default.
> Can anyone help me?

> best regards

> /Michael

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:22:56 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
Hi,

Yes, I have tried that, and it only shows me that its somewhere in the dll.

/Michael

Quote:
> Did you debug it to see exactly what is going wrong where?

> Ronald

> > Hi

> > I have made an application in Visual Studio 6.0 that is using a dll
called
> > librfc32.dll. This dll provides methods which enables you to communicate
> > from SAP to the outside world. This dll is delivered with an .h and .lib
> > file and I am therefore using the implicit linking method and everything
> > works fine.
> > Then I upgraded to Visual Studio .Net and I imported and build the
program
> > with no problems. But when I run the program it crashes the first time a
> > call to a method defined in the librfc32.dll is called.
> > I have tried to compare compiler settings and they seems equal. But I
can
> se
> > that the new compiler introduces many new options, and maybe one of them
> is
> > set wrongly by default.
> > Can anyone help me?

> > best regards

> > /Michael

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:44:29 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
It is possible that the marshalling of data is not being
done properly.  Have you set any specific attributes for
your method(s) like [DLLImport(CharSet=Auto)] int MyLibFunc
(int * a, int * b);

Quote:

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:00:49 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
It is possible that the marshalling of data is not being
done properly.  Have you set any specific attributes for
your method(s) like [DLLImport(CharSet=Auto)] int MyLibFunc
(int * a, int * b);

Quote:

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:00:48 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
It is possible that the marshalling of data is not being
done properly.  Have you set any specific attributes for
your method(s) like [DLLImport(CharSet=Auto)] int MyLibFunc
(int * a, int * b);

Quote:

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:00:35 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
It is possible that the marshalling of data is not being
done properly.  Have you set any specific attributes for
your method(s) like [DLLImport(CharSet=Auto)] int MyLibFunc
(int * a, int * b);

Quote:

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:00:41 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
It is possible that the marshalling of data is not being
done properly.  Have you set any specific attributes for
your method(s) like [DLLImport(CharSet=Auto)] int MyLibFunc
(int * a, int * b);

Quote:

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:00:49 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
Unless I am misreading Michaels' mail. This is just native code calling
native code in both the 6.0 and 7.0 versions.

Ronald

Quote:
> It is possible that the marshalling of data is not being
> done properly.  Have you set any specific attributes for
> your method(s) like [DLLImport(CharSet=Auto)] int MyLibFunc
> (int * a, int * b);

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:07:50 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
If you set a breakpoint at the entry point of the DLL and compare exactly
what is on the stack in the 6.0 and 7.0 versions, you should be able to
isolate any differences between the 2 versions.

What is the DLL doing when it crashes? And what is the crash? A NULL pointer
dereference, executing an illegal instruction,...? Do you have source and
debug symbols for the DLL? What does SAP support or their support forums
have to say? You probably aren't the first person to try their library with
VC 7.0.

With this little information to go on it is going to be hard for anyone to
provide much practical help.

I do take it that we are talking about a DLL that exposes a C API and that
doesn't try to use C++ class instances back and forth.

Ronald

Quote:
> Hi,

> Yes, I have tried that, and it only shows me that its somewhere in the
dll.

> /Michael

> > Did you debug it to see exactly what is going wrong where?

> > Ronald

> > > Hi

> > > I have made an application in Visual Studio 6.0 that is using a dll
> called
> > > librfc32.dll. This dll provides methods which enables you to
communicate
> > > from SAP to the outside world. This dll is delivered with an .h and
.lib
> > > file and I am therefore using the implicit linking method and
everything
> > > works fine.
> > > Then I upgraded to Visual Studio .Net and I imported and build the
> program
> > > with no problems. But when I run the program it crashes the first time
> > > call to a method defined in the librfc32.dll is called.
> > > I have tried to compare compiler settings and they seems equal. But I
> can
> > se
> > > that the new compiler introduces many new options, and maybe one of
them
> > is
> > > set wrongly by default.
> > > Can anyone help me?

> > > best regards

> > > /Michael

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:12:24 GMT
 Problems with implicit linkning
Hi,

Thanks for your help.
I will try to compare the stack in the two different version. I have talked
with some SAP people, but none of them had tried it with Visual Studio 7.0.
I was hoping that someone had experienced similar problems with other dll's,
and that there where a simple solution to the problem.
I will proberly be back needing some more help analysing the stack.

best regards

/Michael

Quote:
> If you set a breakpoint at the entry point of the DLL and compare exactly
> what is on the stack in the 6.0 and 7.0 versions, you should be able to
> isolate any differences between the 2 versions.

> What is the DLL doing when it crashes? And what is the crash? A NULL
pointer
> dereference, executing an illegal instruction,...? Do you have source and
> debug symbols for the DLL? What does SAP support or their support forums
> have to say? You probably aren't the first person to try their library
with
> VC 7.0.

> With this little information to go on it is going to be hard for anyone to
> provide much practical help.

> I do take it that we are talking about a DLL that exposes a C API and that
> doesn't try to use C++ class instances back and forth.

> Ronald

> > Hi,

> > Yes, I have tried that, and it only shows me that its somewhere in the
> dll.

> > /Michael

message

> > > Did you debug it to see exactly what is going wrong where?

> > > Ronald

> > called
> communicate
> .lib
> everything
> > program
> > can
> > > se
> them
> > > is

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:48:28 GMT

1. problems with implicit linking

2. template implicit reference of pointer cast problem

3. OOD Question re: implicit linking

4. implicit conversion to/from an interface not allowed??

5. Implicit conversions

6. explicit / implicit conversion in managed C++

7. Implicit Conversion Disallowed

8. K&R2's implicit declaration of exit()

9. Arraylist and implicit operators

10. Implicit free() of tail->next ?

11. Implicit conversion question

12. "implicit..." - thanks