visual c++ - sourcesafe question
Author Message
 visual c++ - sourcesafe question

Hi,

i maintain a number of libraries that i developed in C++. i have always used
sourcesafe for this. the sourcesafe server is on the company network, and i
used to do check out-in while connected to the network.

now i would want to do this via the internet, since i am not that much at my
office these day, and i tend to do bugfixing at home.

i have tried using vpn, but it does not work with my wireless network card.
then i looked in the VC++ menus to see if i could open projects, or check in
from the web, but i couldn't find anything.

is this impossible? does anyone have experience with maintaining projects
over the web?

kins regards,
    Bruno.

Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:42:12 GMT
 visual c++ - sourcesafe question

Quote:

> Hi,

> i maintain a number of libraries that i developed in C++. i have
> always used sourcesafe for this. the sourcesafe server is on the
> company network, and i used to do check out-in while connected to the
> network.

> now i would want to do this via the internet, since i am not that
> much at my office these day, and i tend to do bugfixing at home.

> i have tried using vpn, but it does not work with my wireless network
> card. then i looked in the VC++ menus to see if i could open
> projects, or check in from the web, but i couldn't find anything.

> is this impossible? does anyone have experience with maintaining
> projects over the web?

It can be done through a VPN connection, but Source Safe really wasn't
designed to work this way (the performance over a VPN connection is, simply
put, awful).  You may have to use the stand-alone Source Safe client to
access the project over the web - I don't use the IDE integration, so I just
don't know what issues might lurk there.

For web-based development, I'd strongly recommend moving away from Source
Safe to a version control system that was designed for distributed
development.  Two that I've used are CVS and StarTeam - there are others as
well.

-cd

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:06:00 GMT
 visual c++ - sourcesafe question
thanks.
i was already thinking of moving towards CVS.
a large numer of very large project seem to work succesfully on CVS.
(OpenBeOS, XFree86, SAMBA, ...)

10 minutes ago i found some web integration tools for sourcesafe. priced at
150 - 250 per user.
seems like an awful lot of money for something CVS does for free.

apparently there is a VS plugin to work with CVS. you can find it by doing a
search on sourceforge.org
for tortoise. there is also a windows explorer plugin to work easily with
CVS by the same name.

kind regards,
    Bruno.

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > i maintain a number of libraries that i developed in C++. i have
> > always used sourcesafe for this. the sourcesafe server is on the
> > company network, and i used to do check out-in while connected to the
> > network.

> > now i would want to do this via the internet, since i am not that
> > much at my office these day, and i tend to do bugfixing at home.

> > i have tried using vpn, but it does not work with my wireless network
> > card. then i looked in the VC++ menus to see if i could open
> > projects, or check in from the web, but i couldn't find anything.

> > is this impossible? does anyone have experience with maintaining
> > projects over the web?

> It can be done through a VPN connection, but Source Safe really wasn't
> designed to work this way (the performance over a VPN connection is,
simply
> put, awful).  You may have to use the stand-alone Source Safe client to
> access the project over the web - I don't use the IDE integration, so I
just
> don't know what issues might lurk there.

> For web-based development, I'd strongly recommend moving away from Source
> Safe to a version control system that was designed for distributed
> development.  Two that I've used are CVS and StarTeam - there are others
as
> well.

> -cd

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:32:22 GMT
 visual c++ - sourcesafe question

Quote:
> Hi,

Hi.

Quote:
> i maintain a number of libraries that i developed in C++. i have always used
> sourcesafe for this. the sourcesafe server is on the company network, and i
> used to do check out-in while connected to the network.

> now i would want to do this via the internet, since i am not that much at my
> office these day, and i tend to do bugfixing at home.

> i have tried using vpn, but it does not work with my wireless network card.

I presume you are familiar with the
security implications of using a
wireless connection.

Quote:
> then i looked in the VC++ menus to see if i could open projects, or check in
> from the web, but i couldn't find anything.

> is this impossible?

Not impossible, but difficult.

Quote:
> does anyone have experience with maintaining projects
> over the web?

I did that with a group of 5 other guys.
They abandoned SourceSafe in favor of
Perforce because the performance of
SourceSafe over the net was abysmal.

Perforce works well over the net and
provides some other features missing in
SourceSafe.  CVS works OK over the net,
but does not have quite the convenience
and task oriented features of Perforce.

I am not affiliated with Perforce.

--
-Larry Brasfield
(address munged, s/sn/h/ to reply)

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 03:28:11 GMT
 visual c++ - sourcesafe question

Quote:
> I presume you are familiar with the
> security implications of using a
> wireless connection.

my router is set up for allowing only specific mac addresses, and
i am using a 256 bit WEP key to protect the packages.

Quote:
> SourceSafe.  CVS works OK over the net,
> but does not have quite the convenience
> and task oriented features of Perforce.

i mainly work on these libraries alone, or with 1 or 2 others.

bitkeeper seems to be excellent, but not free. there is a project called
'subversion'
that is supposed to solve the shortcomings of CVS. it is still in beta
though, so i think
i will go for CVS, and then for subversion if it becomes available.

kind regards,
    Bruno.

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 01:04:10 GMT

1. Problem with Visual SourceSafe and Visual C++

2. Problem with Visual SourceSafe and Visual C++

3. Visual Sourcesafe and eMbedded Visual C++

4. Visual C++ and SourceSafe

5. Visual C++ and SourceSafe makefile problem

6. Visual SourceSafe 6.0 with Visual C#.NET?

7. Newbie question: Converting Borland C++ projects to Visual C++ 6.0

8. Newbie question: Converting Borland C++ Builder 5.0 projects to Visual C++ 6.0

9. ANNOUNCE: access Visual SourceSafe remotely

10. MS Visual SourceSafe/PVCS

11. accessing visual sourcesafe through VC 6++

12. Visual Sourcesafe Object model