Debugger bug?
Author Message
 Debugger bug?

I got an exception error that SAYS its a De{*filter*} error. Something like:

DAMAGE: After Normal Block (#626) at (some address)

It gives me the option to ignore, and if I do, my program seems to continue
working just fine.

Should I be worried?

  /== Peteroid ==\

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:53:12 GMT
 Debugger bug?
Yes, you should be very worried, it means you are corrupting memory on the
heap. It is not a de{*filter*} error, it is given by the debug code that helps
you track down memory leaks and memory corruption.

Ronald Laeremans
Visual C++ compiler and libraries team

Quote:
> I got an exception error that SAYS its a De{*filter*} error. Something like:

> DAMAGE: After Normal Block (#626) at (some address)

> It gives me the option to ignore, and if I do, my program seems to
continue
> working just fine.

> Should I be worried?

>   /== Peteroid ==\

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 04:36:03 GMT
 Debugger bug?
Yuppers, you were absolutely right! It's funny, a message like that comes up
and one tends to get "mad" at the de{*filter*}, and then when you find the
reason it came up, you become thankful it did! :)

However, I do think it's misleading for it to report it as a "debug error",
as othersas dim witted as me might also interpret this as a bug in the
de{*filter*}. Plus, this is re-inforced by th ability to bypass it via an
ignore. My typical bugs bring up a different window, one with no ability to
ignore.

Thanx again for your help! Now my program is a lot more stable!

  /== Peteroid ==\

Quote:
> Yes, you should be very worried, it means you are corrupting memory on the
> heap. It is not a de{*filter*} error, it is given by the debug code that helps
> you track down memory leaks and memory corruption.

> Ronald Laeremans
> Visual C++ compiler and libraries team

> > I got an exception error that SAYS its a De{*filter*} error. Something like:

> > DAMAGE: After Normal Block (#626) at (some address)

> > It gives me the option to ignore, and if I do, my program seems to
> continue
> > working just fine.

> > Should I be worried?

> >   /== Peteroid ==\