Is OLE DB not recommanded? are we all suppose to use ado.net?
Author Message
 Is OLE DB not recommanded? are we all suppose to use ado.net?

I see a lot of discussion on ado.net, what happen to OLE DB consumer and
provider? are they not long then recommended way for us to access the
database???? which one is suppose to be fast???
Please advise.
John

Sat, 29 May 2004 01:56:00 GMT
 Is OLE DB not recommanded? are we all suppose to use ado.net?
OLEDB is the best performing database access method for Win32/native
applications. ADO.NET requires your application to be written for .NET
framework.

--
Anson Tsao
Visual C++ libraries team

Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
disclaimer from our lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Quote:
> I see a lot of discussion on ado.net, what happen to OLE DB consumer and
> provider? are they not long then recommended way for us to access the
> database???? which one is suppose to be fast???
> Please advise.
> John

Sat, 29 May 2004 04:39:31 GMT
 Is OLE DB not recommanded? are we all suppose to use ado.net?
Anson:
Thanks for the reply.Got another question:
Which one is faster when compare those two? if I have a option do either one
(Say I do managed C++  using ado.net, or managed C++ using OLE DB ), which
one will you recommend?
Thanks.
John

Quote:
> OLEDB is the best performing database access method for Win32/native
> applications. ADO.NET requires your application to be written for .NET
> framework.

> --
> Anson Tsao
> Visual C++ libraries team

> Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
> disclaimer from our lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
> warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ?
2001
> Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

> > I see a lot of discussion on ado.net, what happen to OLE DB consumer and
> > provider? are they not long then recommended way for us to access the
> > database???? which one is suppose to be fast???
> > Please advise.
> > John

Sun, 30 May 2004 02:53:19 GMT
 Is OLE DB not recommanded? are we all suppose to use ado.net?
Looks like you are using managed code. In that case, the best performance is
probably SQL Server specific .NET classes:
System.Data.SqlClient. (SqlCommand, SqlConnection, SqlDataReader etc).

Anson

Quote:
> Anson:
> Thanks for the reply.Got another question:
> Which one is faster when compare those two? if I have a option do either
one
> (Say I do managed C++  using ado.net, or managed C++ using OLE DB ), which
> one will you recommend?
> Thanks.
> John

> > OLEDB is the best performing database access method for Win32/native
> > applications. ADO.NET requires your application to be written for .NET
> > framework.

> > --
> > Anson Tsao
> > Visual C++ libraries team

> > Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
> > disclaimer from our lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
> > warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ?
> 2001
> > Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

> > > I see a lot of discussion on ado.net, what happen to OLE DB consumer
and
> > > provider? are they not long then recommended way for us to access the
> > > database???? which one is suppose to be fast???
> > > Please advise.
> > > John

Sun, 30 May 2004 10:18:09 GMT
 Is OLE DB not recommanded? are we all suppose to use ado.net?
Hi,Anson:
How about the performance difference between unmanaged C++ using OLE DB (ATL
Consumer) and managed C++ using ado.net? (assuming the same OLEDB or Net
provider)
Please advise.
Thanks.
John

Quote:
> Looks like you are using managed code. In that case, the best performance
is
> probably SQL Server specific .NET classes:
> System.Data.SqlClient. (SqlCommand, SqlConnection, SqlDataReader etc).

> Anson

> > Anson:
> > Thanks for the reply.Got another question:
> > Which one is faster when compare those two? if I have a option do either
> one
> > (Say I do managed C++  using ado.net, or managed C++ using OLE DB ),
which
> > one will you recommend?
> > Thanks.
> > John

> > > OLEDB is the best performing database access method for Win32/native
> > > applications. ADO.NET requires your application to be written for .NET
> > > framework.

> > > --
> > > Anson Tsao
> > > Visual C++ libraries team

> > > Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
> > > disclaimer from our lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
> > > warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ?
> > 2001
> > > Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

> and

Mon, 31 May 2004 03:23:52 GMT
 Is OLE DB not recommanded? are we all suppose to use ado.net?
ADO.NET using OLEDB provider will incur COM interop costs that is not there
with using OLEDB from native code. ADO.NET classes for SQL Server is not
based on OLEDB and will not incur the COM interop overhead. I would suggest
that you profile your particular usage of the database, much of these
overheads may be negligable compared with the database query and network
latency. ADO.NET supports only disconnected data sets, and does not have
server side cursors. On the other hand, ADO.NET supports a much richer
dataset model, and XML integration. It all depends on your usage.

Anson

Quote:

?
> > > 2001

> > and
> the

Mon, 31 May 2004 03:40:05 GMT

1. MS Tech support recomends NOT using the ADO Ole DB controls

2. Insert Using ADO/VC++: What am I missing?

3. Using OLE DB or ADO to connect Oracle and SQL Server

4. Using ADO and OLE DB

5. Creating tables using ADO / OLE DB.

6. Using ADO and OLE DB

7. I am new to programming and am lost

8. Best db API ADO or OLE DB for highly efficient code

9. I am a convert to .NET

10. I am not quite understand the program asks for

11. I am not quite understand the program asks for

12. Why am I not getting correct position?