Win 95 / PropertySheet problem
Author Message
 Win 95 / PropertySheet problem

Hi,

I ported an application from VC6 to VC.Net and I'm now getting an error
under Windows 95 that it "failed to create empty document".  It's an MFC
application with a document/view architecture.  The view uses a property
sheet, and I believe the creation of the view is failing when it tries to
create the property sheet.  I ran 50comupd.exe on the system to update
comctl32.dll, and it then worked, but I don't want to force my customers to
do that. Any idea why this no longer works with the default OS files?

Thanks,
Gordon

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 04:32:17 GMT
 Win 95 / PropertySheet problem
There's tons of features added between the different versions 4.0, 4.71,
4.72, and 5.80 (the one that ships with 50comupd.exe).  Check the Platform
SDK documentation for more details.

Any reason why you don't just make your install program silently launch
50comupd.exe (using /q:1 /r:n command line options) and install the new
version?   Don't bother with the hassle of making your app work with old
versions of comctl32.dll.

Ted.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I ported an application from VC6 to VC.Net and I'm now getting an error
> under Windows 95 that it "failed to create empty document".  It's an MFC
> application with a document/view architecture.  The view uses a property
> sheet, and I believe the creation of the view is failing when it tries to
> create the property sheet.  I ran 50comupd.exe on the system to update
> comctl32.dll, and it then worked, but I don't want to force my customers
> do that. Any idea why this no longer works with the default OS files?

> Thanks,
> Gordon

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 06:33:17 GMT
 Win 95 / PropertySheet problem
Hi Ted,

It's a possibility to do as you suggested, and run 50comupd.exe during my
install.  However, I'd like to know why it worked fine with VC6, and is now
a problem with VC7...

Thanks,
Gordon

Quote:
> There's tons of features added between the different versions 4.0, 4.71,
> 4.72, and 5.80 (the one that ships with 50comupd.exe).  Check the Platform
> SDK documentation for more details.

> Any reason why you don't just make your install program silently launch
> 50comupd.exe (using /q:1 /r:n command line options) and install the new
> version?   Don't bother with the hassle of making your app work with old
> versions of comctl32.dll.

> Ted.

> > Hi,

> > I ported an application from VC6 to VC.Net and I'm now getting an error
> > under Windows 95 that it "failed to create empty document".  It's an MFC
> > application with a document/view architecture.  The view uses a property
> > sheet, and I believe the creation of the view is failing when it tries
> > create the property sheet.  I ran 50comupd.exe on the system to update
> > comctl32.dll, and it then worked, but I don't want to force my customers
> > do that. Any idea why this no longer works with the default OS files?

> > Thanks,
> > Gordon

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:31:25 GMT
 Win 95 / PropertySheet problem
In VC6 they had two separate classes, CPropertySheet and CPropertySheetEx.
The CPropertySheetEx only worked in newer versions of common controls.  In
VC7 they combined the two classes into one and deprecrated the other one.
So it's possible the the base CPropertySheet is now using some feature not
available in the original comctl32.dll.

Ted.

Quote:
> Hi Ted,

> It's a possibility to do as you suggested, and run 50comupd.exe during my
> install.  However, I'd like to know why it worked fine with VC6, and is
now
> a problem with VC7...

> Thanks,
> Gordon

> > There's tons of features added between the different versions 4.0, 4.71,
> > 4.72, and 5.80 (the one that ships with 50comupd.exe).  Check the
Platform
> > SDK documentation for more details.

> > Any reason why you don't just make your install program silently launch
> > 50comupd.exe (using /q:1 /r:n command line options) and install the new
> > version?   Don't bother with the hassle of making your app work with old
> > versions of comctl32.dll.

> > Ted.

> > > Hi,

> > > I ported an application from VC6 to VC.Net and I'm now getting an
error
> > > under Windows 95 that it "failed to create empty document".  It's an
MFC
> > > application with a document/view architecture.  The view uses a
property
> > > sheet, and I believe the creation of the view is failing when it tries
> > > create the property sheet.  I ran 50comupd.exe on the system to update
> > > comctl32.dll, and it then worked, but I don't want to force my
customers
> > > do that. Any idea why this no longer works with the default OS files?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Gordon

Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:09:22 GMT
 Win 95 / PropertySheet problem
Makes sense.  Thanks.

Quote:
> In VC6 they had two separate classes, CPropertySheet and CPropertySheetEx.
> The CPropertySheetEx only worked in newer versions of common controls.  In
> VC7 they combined the two classes into one and deprecrated the other one.
> So it's possible the the base CPropertySheet is now using some feature not
> available in the original comctl32.dll.

> Ted.

> > Hi Ted,

> > It's a possibility to do as you suggested, and run 50comupd.exe during
my
> > install.  However, I'd like to know why it worked fine with VC6, and is
> now
> > a problem with VC7...

> > Thanks,
> > Gordon

> > > There's tons of features added between the different versions 4.0,
4.71,
> > > 4.72, and 5.80 (the one that ships with 50comupd.exe).  Check the
> Platform
> > > SDK documentation for more details.

> > > Any reason why you don't just make your install program silently
launch
> > > 50comupd.exe (using /q:1 /r:n command line options) and install the
new
> > > version?   Don't bother with the hassle of making your app work with
old
> > > versions of comctl32.dll.

> > > Ted.

> error
> MFC
> property
> customers
files?

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 04:12:36 GMT

1. Win 95/95 to Win NT

2. Win 95 to Win 98 problem with DLL

3. Win NT 4.0 - Win 95 Registry Reading Problems

4. Win NT to Win 95

5. Porting application from Win 95 to Win NT

6. Q: Differences WIN NT / WIN 95 in VC++ 5.0

7. Win NT vs. Win 95

8. Registry - Win 95/Win NT

9. DLL on Win NT vs. Win 95

10. DLL on Win NT vs. Win 95