Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++
Author Message
 Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++

A very simple question:

If project A has a file that #includes a header file from project B and both projects generate static library files (.lib), then
does project a "Depend" on project B (as in project dependency settings)?

My guess is yes, but I think the docs are a bit vague on this...

-Roy

Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:36:45 GMT
 Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++
Roy,

Not exacty sure I understood the question.
Project "A" will be rebuilt  if the header file is modified.
But building "A" is not going to force a build of "B"  if there is a change
in a source file in B.

Please clarify  if this doesn't answer your question.
Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

--------------------

Quote:

>Subject: Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++
>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:36:45 -0500

>A very simple question:

>If project A has a file that #includes a header file from project B and

both projects generate static library files (.lib), then
Quote:
>does project a "Depend" on project B (as in project dependency settings)?

>My guess is yes, but I think the docs are a bit vague on this...

>-Roy

Sat, 16 Apr 2005 07:12:07 GMT
 Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++
Roy,
Quote:
>In VStudio.Net do I need to explicitly specify that project A depends on

project B?  This would be done in the Solution Explorer by
Quote:
>right-clicking on project A -> Project Dependencies then putting a

check-mark next to project B. Do I need to do this, or does
Quote:
>VStudio do this automatically? Your answer seems to indicate that VStudio

will recompile a.cpp when ..\project_b\b.h changes. If

Quote:
>that is the case, then when would I explicitly set a project dependency?

Is b.h in any way modified/generated during the build of project "B"?
For example there are header files that get generated when midl compiler is
run on  IDL files.
In that case, you need to set the project dependency.

If this is not the case, then there is no need to set a project dependency.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

--------------------

Quote:

>Subject: Re: Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++
>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:29:10 -0500

>Bobby-

>Thanks for the quick response. To clarify:

>Project A  has a source file "a.cpp" which starts like this:

>#include "..\project_b\b.h"

>My question is:
>In VStudio.Net do I need to explicitly specify that project A depends on

project B?  This would be done in the Solution Explorer by
Quote:
>right-clicking on project A -> Project Dependencies then putting a

check-mark next to project B. Do I need to do this, or does
Quote:
>VStudio do this automatically? Your answer seems to indicate that VStudio

will recompile a.cpp when ..\project_b\b.h changes. If
Quote:
>that is the case, then when would I explicitly set a project dependency?

>| Roy,
>|
>| Not exacty sure I understood the question.
>| Project "A" will be rebuilt  if the header file is modified.
>| But building "A" is not going to force a build of "B"  if there is a
change
>| in a source file in B.
>|
>| Please clarify  if this doesn't answer your question.
>| Hope this helps.
>|
>| Thank you,
>| Bobby Mattappally
>| Microsoft VC++/C# Team
>|
>| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

>| --------------------

>| >Subject: Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++
>| >Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:36:45 -0500
>| >>
>| >A very simple question:
>| >
>| >If project A has a file that #includes a header file from project B and
>| both projects generate static library files (.lib), then
>| >does project a "Depend" on project B (as in project dependency
settings)?

>| >My guess is yes, but I think the docs are a bit vague on this...
>| >
>| >-Roy

Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:46:10 GMT
 Project Dependencies in unmanaged C++
Bobby-

Much clearer now... Thanks!

I'm trying to clean up some legacy code with circular dependencies and I wasn't sure how much help I was getting from VStudio. I
wish it would have prevented my co-workers from creating this mess in the first place ;-)

-Roy

Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:14:43 GMT

1. managed C++ wrapper around unmanaged C++ classes: causing StackOverflow exception

2. Performance of unmanaged C++ in a managed C++ app

3. Fatal Error C1010 in Mixing Managed C++ and Unmanaged C++ Code

4. Inherit unmanaged c++ classes from .Net platform (managed c++ or c#)

5. C# client crashs when calling into Managed C++ which calls unmanaged c++ function

6. managed c++ vs unmanaged c++

7. How to pass a function pointer from Managed C++ to unmanaged c++

8. Managed C++ and Unmanaged C++ and Inheritance

9. Interoperability UnManaged C++, Managed C++, C#

10. How to call managed C++ DLL from unmanaged C++ EXE

11. debugging unmanaged c++ from a managed c++ class library

12. Visual form inheritance from base form implemented in C++ with Managed Extensions (migrated from unmanaged C++)