Beta 2 vs. RC1
Author Message
 Beta 2 vs. RC1

We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me about
RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to stay
with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced, how
much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can share.  How
about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Sat, 29 May 2004 07:07:03 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
RC1 is a big improvement, though RTM is not far away.

--

Josh Mitts
Microsoft .NET MVP (.NET Framework, C#, .NET CF/SDE)

Quote:
> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
about
> RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
stay
> with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced,
how
> much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can share.
How
> about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

> Thanks in advance,
> Carl

Sat, 29 May 2004 10:08:16 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1

Quote:

> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
> about RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us
> to stay with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs
> introduced, how much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of
> information you can share.  How about when is Microsoft planning on
> shipping the general release.

Hi Carl,
  Congratulations on getting ready to release.  Perhaps the most detractive
thing about the RC1 release is that it does not have an optimizing compiler.
So, unless shipping an unoptimized is an option, stay with Beta 2.  Not to
mention, you've probably done more thorough testing with Beta 2, and moving
to RC1 would likely set your release date back.

Since you'll have to recompile and rerelease with the released version of
Visual C++, it's probably okay to stick with Beta 2 anyways.  We're sticking
to having the launch party on February 13th.  So, you "should" have
something in your hands before then.

--
Cheerio!
Brandon Bray                 Progam Manager in the Visual C++ Compiler Team

And now a word from the lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Sat, 29 May 2004 10:10:02 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1

Quote:
> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
about
> RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
stay
> with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced,
how
> much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can share.
How
> about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

Carl,

I have noticed a few quirks with resource files between the two releases. I
had many icons stored in an ImageList control when I had my app under Beta2
and when I upgraded to RC1, it couldn't recognize and tranlate the resx file
and I lost all the icons. Had to rebuild the list. There may be a fix for
this since the resx file is in XML but I haven't found that fix yet (if it
even exists).

Maybe somebody from MS can point out a fix to this issue?

Also, constructors work a little different in VB.NET between the two
releases. Not sure about C# but take the following example [Note: snipped
from Mattias Sj?gren's IconMenu Example at http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet]:

Public Sub New()
    MyClass.New("", Nothing, Nothing, Shortcut.None)
    'This will not compile in RC1 ~~~~~~~^^^^^^^~~~~~~~
    'It gives an error of: "Implicit reference to object under
    'construction is not valid when calling another constructor"
End Sub

Public Sub New(ByVal text As String, ByVal icon As Icon, _
    ByVal onClick As EventHandler, ByVal shortcut As Shortcut)

    MyBase.New(text, onClick, shortcut)
    OwnerDraw = True
    m_Font = New Font("Comic Sans MS", 8)
    m_Icon = icon
End Sub

I am not sure why one can't pass an Enum value like this but it is rather
annoying if you ask me. I haven't found anyone else out on the NG's that
have had similar issues so I can't say if it is just my installation or RC1
itself.

Good luck with your release and hope that neither of these to problems are
an issue.

Regards,
Cal

--
Regards,
Cal

Sat, 29 May 2004 10:34:44 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1

Quote:
> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
about
> RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
stay
> with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced,
how
> much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can share.
How
> about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

There is no RC1... it is RC0...

Here are the API changes:
apichangesbeta2tortm.htm:

Greetings
  Jochen

Sat, 29 May 2004 15:37:30 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
There's a lot of RC...  but they are not distributed.  We use RC3
enterprise.

IDE version 7.0.9412
Framework  1.0.3512

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:37:30 +0100, "Jochen Kalmbach"

Quote:

>> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
>about
>> RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
>stay
>> with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced,
>how
>> much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can share.
>How
>> about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

>There is no RC1... it is RC0...

>Here are the API changes:
>apichangesbeta2tortm.htm:
>http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4372

>Greetings
>  Jochen

Sat, 29 May 2004 22:45:23 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
What is RC3? Is that a private release that is covered by a Non-Disclosure
Agreement with Microsoft?

--

Josh Mitts
Microsoft .NET MVP (.NET Framework, C#, .NET CF/SDE)
http://www.joshmitts.com

Quote:
> There's a lot of RC...  but they are not distributed.  We use RC3
> enterprise.

> IDE version 7.0.9412
> Framework  1.0.3512

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:37:30 +0100, "Jochen Kalmbach"

> >> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give
me
> >about
> >> RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
> >stay
> >> with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs
introduced,
> >how
> >> much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can
share.
> >How
> >> about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

> >There is no RC1... it is RC0...

> >Here are the API changes:
> >apichangesbeta2tortm.htm:
> >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4372

> >Greetings
> >  Jochen

Sat, 29 May 2004 23:27:52 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
Josh, should YOU and ME not know?

Actuallly it is a release that a lot of ppl KNOW that exists :-) So you can
say yes to this, thats public knowledge by now.

--
Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.

Quote:
> What is RC3? Is that a private release that is covered by a Non-Disclosure
> Agreement with Microsoft?

> --

> Josh Mitts
> Microsoft .NET MVP (.NET Framework, C#, .NET CF/SDE)
> http://www.joshmitts.com

> > There's a lot of RC...  but they are not distributed.  We use RC3
> > enterprise.

> > IDE version 7.0.9412
> > Framework  1.0.3512

> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:37:30 +0100, "Jochen Kalmbach"

> me
> > >about
> > >stay
> introduced,
> > >how
> share.
> > >How

> > >There is no RC1... it is RC0...

> > >Here are the API changes:
> > >apichangesbeta2tortm.htm:
> > >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4372

> > >Greetings
> > >  Jochen

Sat, 29 May 2004 23:50:44 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1

Quote:
> Actuallly it is a release that a lot of ppl KNOW that exists :-) So you
can
> say yes to this, thats public knowledge by now.

How did these alleged "other" people find out, hmm?  Did you break your NDA?
How are you so sure that other people know.  I think you sound quite
suspicious.

-Mike

Quote:
> Thomas Tomiczek
> THONA Consulting Ltd.
> (Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

> > What is RC3? Is that a private release that is covered by a
Non-Disclosure
> > Agreement with Microsoft?

> > --

> > Josh Mitts
> > Microsoft .NET MVP (.NET Framework, C#, .NET CF/SDE)
> > http://www.joshmitts.com

> > > There's a lot of RC...  but they are not distributed.  We use RC3
> > > enterprise.

> > > IDE version 7.0.9412
> > > Framework  1.0.3512

> > > On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:37:30 +0100, "Jochen Kalmbach"

> > me
> > introduced,
> > share.

Sun, 30 May 2004 00:01:10 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
I got no information about private or non-disclosure agreement...

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:27:52 -0500, "Josh Mitts \(MVP\)"

Quote:

>What is RC3? Is that a private release that is covered by a Non-Disclosure
>Agreement with Microsoft?

>--

>Josh Mitts
>Microsoft .NET MVP (.NET Framework, C#, .NET CF/SDE)
>http://www.joshmitts.com

>> There's a lot of RC...  but they are not distributed.  We use RC3
>> enterprise.

>> IDE version 7.0.9412
>> Framework  1.0.3512

>> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:37:30 +0100, "Jochen Kalmbach"

>me
>> >about
>> >stay
>introduced,
>> >how
>share.
>> >How

>> >There is no RC1... it is RC0...

>> >Here are the API changes:
>> >apichangesbeta2tortm.htm:
>> >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4372

>> >Greetings
>> >  Jochen

Sun, 30 May 2004 00:52:39 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
I, personally have found RC1 to be much faster than Beta 2.  The differenct
between the two is that RC1 is Professional Edition and Beta2 is Enterprise
Architect Edition.  So with RC1 you don't get some of the Visio tools that
you do with Beta2, but with RC1 you also can get the Framework for Pocket
PC's.

AFAIK these are the only differences.

Josh

Quote:
> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
about
> RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
stay
> with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced,
how
> much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can share.
How
> about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

> Thanks in advance,
> Carl

Sun, 30 May 2004 00:58:29 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1

Quote:
> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give
> me about RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe
> convince us to stay with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs
> fixed or bugs introduced, how much work involved to upgrade, anything
> kind of information you can share.

 RC1 is definitely faster to use than beta2. Bugs -- of the dozen or so
bugs we're currently working around, they've fixed precisely one, though
general mysterious crashes seem to be a lot less common.

 Oh, and the install needs some care; if you're installing RC1, make sure
you install the smallest amount of stuff possible the first time through,
then update it to add the rest -- something in the install goes wrong if
you try and install too much the first time.

 -- dan

Sun, 30 May 2004 01:53:51 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
Don't do it. While the .NET SDK is better under RC, I would wait for RTM
before altering code.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

> We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
about
> RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
stay
> with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced,
how
> much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can share.
How
> about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

> Thanks in advance,
> Carl

Sun, 30 May 2004 03:55:50 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
OK Cowboy, so when can we expect the RTM?

We have been hearing for a long time that the first release will be
available 4Q 2001.  With just a couple of weeks left in the year, what is
the story?  Can we expect an MSDN subscriber download announcement soon?  If
MS has a date in mind (and it is very close), why can't we have just a few
days notice?

A better question is why do we have all these games with the release
versions?  I have been working with the bits since the 2000 PDC preview
version, and I am always behind the curve on releases because I don't know
how to get into this preferred list of NDA members.  As someone who has been
working diligently to develop a releasable product with a team full of
committed engineers, I don't know why MS would want to handicap my
productivity :-(

Doesn't Microsoft want us to be releasing our software on .NET ASAP?

Michael Casey
Vice President - R&D
Financial Software Systems

Quote:
> Don't do it. While the .NET SDK is better under RC, I would wait for RTM
> before altering code.

> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

> Think Outside the Box!

> > We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give me
> about
> > RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us to
> stay
> > with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs introduced,
> how
> > much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can
share.
> How
> > about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Carl

Sun, 30 May 2004 11:17:18 GMT
 Beta 2 vs. RC1
Michael,

Have patience :). RTM will be released very soon. As with Beta 2, you'll
probably hear the announcement the day it is finished <g>

--

Josh Mitts
Microsoft .NET MVP (.NET Framework, C#, .NET CF/SDE)
http://www.joshmitts.com

Quote:
> OK Cowboy, so when can we expect the RTM?

> We have been hearing for a long time that the first release will be
> available 4Q 2001.  With just a couple of weeks left in the year, what is
> the story?  Can we expect an MSDN subscriber download announcement soon?
If
> MS has a date in mind (and it is very close), why can't we have just a few
> days notice?

> A better question is why do we have all these games with the release
> versions?  I have been working with the bits since the 2000 PDC preview
> version, and I am always behind the curve on releases because I don't know
> how to get into this preferred list of NDA members.  As someone who has
been
> working diligently to develop a releasable product with a team full of
> committed engineers, I don't know why MS would want to handicap my
> productivity :-(

> Doesn't Microsoft want us to be releasing our software on .NET ASAP?

> Michael Casey
> Vice President - R&D
> Financial Software Systems

> > Don't do it. While the .NET SDK is better under RC, I would wait for RTM
> > before altering code.

> > --
> > Gregory A. Beamer
> > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

> > Think Outside the Box!

> > > We are planning to release on Friday.  Is there any news you can give
me
> > about
> > > RC1 that might influence us to upgrade to RC1?  Or maybe convince us
> > stay
> > > with Beta 2?  I'm looking for things like bugs fixed or bugs
introduced,
> > how
> > > much work involved to upgrade, anything kind of information you can
> share.
> > How
> > > about when is Microsoft planning on shipping the general release.

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Carl

Sun, 30 May 2004 22:16:48 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Dispose() differs between beta 2 and RC1 ?

2. VS.Net Beta 1 with .Net Beta 2?

3. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

4. VS 6.0 and VS .NET Beta 1 on the same machine

5. C1060: compiler is out of heap space with VS.NET 2003 RC1

6. VS.NET RC1 URGENT !!!!

7. VS.NET RC1

8. VS 2003 final beta C1001: another ICE

9. Trouble w/.NET VS Beta uninstallation

10. ANN: Xtreme-simplicity C# Refactory BETA 1 released - refactoring add-in for VS.NET

11. How to I move my VS 2002 Add-Ins to VS2003 Final Beta

12. need help with VS.net beta