Visual C++.NET
Author Message
 Visual C++.NET

I want to ask if Visual C++.NET is just the Visual C++ in Visual Studio .NET
environment with enhanced features? Do we consider Visual C++.NET and Visual
C++ are two different languages?

Thanks!!

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:44:37 GMT
 Visual C++.NET
John,

Quote:
> I want to ask if Visual C++.NET is just the Visual C++ in Visual Studio
.NET
> environment with enhanced features? Do we consider Visual C++.NET and
Visual
> C++ are two different languages?

Yes, and No.

VisualC++.NET is just the new edition for the product (well, there are
actually two now, the original VC++.NET 2002, and 2003 which is just coming
out).

VC++.NET can still compile unmanaged C/C++ code, and has vastly improved in
this area with new optimizations, runtime checks, and for 2003, a great leap
in ISO-conformance. However, it also has special features to support the
.NET platform, mainly in the support of a new set of extensions to C++ known
as Managed Extensions for C++, or Managed C++ (MC++) for short.

Check http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/faq/default.asp for a
few more answers.

--
Tomas Restrepo

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 05:02:53 GMT
 Visual C++.NET
I am piggybacking my friend Tomas again-)

Quote:
> VC++.NET can still compile unmanaged C/C++ code, and has vastly improved
in
> this area with new optimizations, runtime checks, and for 2003, a great
leap
> in ISO-conformance

For an introduction to the new features, check out this article I did last
Nov
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2002/11/18/everettcpp.html

However, it also has special features to support the

Quote:
> .NET platform, mainly in the support of a new set of extensions to C++
known
> as Managed Extensions for C++, or Managed C++ (MC++) for short.

For an introduction to Managed C++, see these:
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/01/13/intromcpp.html
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/03/03/mcppp2.html

I should mention that the this is the biggest release of VC++ since V4. The
ISO compliance features put this compiler at the front of the pack, with 98%
compliance and heavy template libraries like Loki and Boost compile out of
the box.

Tomas didn't plug his excellent MC++ Faq but I will-)
http://www.winterdom.com/mcppfaq/

Sam Gentile
Microsoft .NET Consultant
. Web Site:http://www.samgentile.com/
. My O'Reilly Articles: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1070
. Read my .NET Web Blog! http://dotnetweblogs.com/sgentile/
. Come hear me speak at Win-Dev! http://butrain.bu.edu/windev/bios.asp

> John,

> > I want to ask if Visual C++.NET is just the Visual C++ in Visual Studio
> .NET
> > environment with enhanced features? Do we consider Visual C++.NET and
> Visual
> > C++ are two different languages?

> Yes, and No.

> VisualC++.NET is just the new edition for the product (well, there are
> actually two now, the original VC++.NET 2002, and 2003 which is just
coming
> out).

> VC++.NET can still compile unmanaged C/C++ code, and has vastly improved
in
> this area with new optimizations, runtime checks, and for 2003, a great
leap
> in ISO-conformance. However, it also has special features to support the
> .NET platform, mainly in the support of a new set of extensions to C++
known
> as Managed Extensions for C++, or Managed C++ (MC++) for short.

> Check http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/faq/default.asp for a
> few more answers.

> --
> Tomas Restrepo

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:32:48 GMT

1. Visual C# .NET Standard vs. Visual Studio.NET

2. Install Visual VB.NET and Visual C#.NET

3. Visual C++.Net Step by Step book/Visual C++.Net Software

4. what is best - Visual C# .NET or Visual C++.NET

5. Differences between Visual C# .Net Standard and Visual Studio.Net Professional

6. Visual Studio.NET vs. Visual C#.NET

8. VS.NET: Adding one .cs file to more then one project

9. Newbie porting EventSample.cs to ASP.NET

10. Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET

11. Problems with .net classes and encapsulation in visual c++.net

12. VC++.NET or Visual Studio .NET