locals window not showing all locals
Author Message
 locals window not showing all locals

Sometimes the "locals" debug window doesn't show all of the locals.

For the following three functions, I can step in and see "args":

    void hello(
        System::String *args __gc[],
        System::Boolean x)
    {
        return hello(args, x);
    }

    System::String *hello(
        System::String *args __gc[],
        System::Boolean x)
    {
        return hello(args, x);
    }

    int hello(
        System::String *args __gc[],
        System::Boolean x)
    {
        return hello(args, x);
    }

But for the following two functions, I can step in, but I cannot see "args":

    bool hello(
        System::String *args __gc[],
        System::Boolean x)
    {
        return hello(args, x);
    }

    System::Boolean hello(
        System::String *args __gc[],
        System::Boolean x)
    {
        return hello(args, x);
    }

Why should the return value disable the display of certain argument
variables?

Thanks

-John

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:25:03 GMT
[...]

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:25:12 GMT
 locals window not showing all locals

Quote:
>Sometimes the "locals" debug window doesn't show all of the locals.

John,

I can reproduce your problem, I'll try to raise it to MS.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:57:53 GMT
 locals window not showing all locals
Hi John, thank you for reporting this bug.  This is a bug in the managed
de{*filter*} and I have recorded it in our database.

The de{*filter*} is not correctly interpreting the parameters of a managed
function when the return type is bool, or __wchar_t.  As a result, you can't
see any of the local variables for the function.

A work around for this problem is to compile the function using the type
System::Boolean as the return type, if this is feasible.

--
Steve Guidi
Program Manager

Quote:
> Sometimes the "locals" debug window doesn't show all of the locals.

> For the following three functions, I can step in and see "args":

>     void hello(
>         System::String *args __gc[],
>         System::Boolean x)
>     {
>         return hello(args, x);
>     }

>     System::String *hello(
>         System::String *args __gc[],
>         System::Boolean x)
>     {
>         return hello(args, x);
>     }

>     int hello(
>         System::String *args __gc[],
>         System::Boolean x)
>     {
>         return hello(args, x);
>     }

> But for the following two functions, I can step in, but I cannot see
"args":

>     bool hello(
>         System::String *args __gc[],
>         System::Boolean x)
>     {
>         return hello(args, x);
>     }

>     System::Boolean hello(
>         System::String *args __gc[],
>         System::Boolean x)
>     {
>         return hello(args, x);
>     }

> Why should the return value disable the display of certain argument
> variables?

> Thanks

> -John

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:41:29 GMT
 locals window not showing all locals

Quote:
>Hi John, thank you for reporting this bug.  This is a bug in the managed
>de{*filter*} and I have recorded it in our database.

>The de{*filter*} is not correctly interpreting the parameters of a managed
>function when the return type is bool, or __wchar_t.  As a result, you can't
>see any of the local variables for the function.

>A work around for this problem is to compile the function using the type
>System::Boolean as the return type, if this is feasible.

Steve,

In John's original post, he indicated that using System::Boolean
didn't work:

Quote:
> But for the following two functions, I can step in, but I cannot see
"args":

>     bool hello(
>         System::String *args __gc[],
>         System::Boolean x)
>     {
>         return hello(args, x);
>     }

>     System::Boolean hello(
>         System::String *args __gc[],
>         System::Boolean x)
>     {
>         return hello(args, x);
>     }

I've not tried it myself - so does the work-around work?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:41:21 GMT

1. local static variables not able to be displayed by debugger under Windows XP

2. How to convert local time to gmt using a local variable time zone per process/thread

3. Local Server OK BUT Local Service FAILED

4. Mounting a local directory as a local drive using the win32sdk or the mfcs

5. show local parameters in ASSERT message...possible..?!?!?

6. DCOM SOS- Class not registered on local Machine

7. How do you access remote databases where the database is not registed in the local ODBC

8. VC6 SP3 debugger, local vars not recognized

9. can not watch local Variables in debuger

10. Call to local static object constructor not thread-safe

11. local functions are not supported Error

12. InfoViewer - Help Files are not local