Porting from VC++6 to .NET Framework (Objects, Collections)
Author Message
 Porting from VC++6 to .NET Framework (Objects, Collections)

I'm involved in a project that will continue to develop VC++6 and unmanged
VC++7 modules in the short term but our longer term goal is to port these
modules to managed C++ or C#.

I'm looking for any advice or references relating to what objects and
collection types should we use now that will support our porting in the
future.  For example, should I use CArray or CObArray?  And what about the
CString - how can I ease the transition to the .NET String?

I appreciate any advice.

Joe

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:44:59 GMT
 Porting from VC++6 to .NET Framework (Objects, Collections)
Hi Joe,

I have responded in the MFC newsgroup. For your reference, I'm including
the reply below. Please reply to the post if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Leo Chen

=========
Hi Joe,

As you know, this is quite different in both the underlying runtime and
pattern of the code. .NET framework currently doesn't support template. It
may need some effort implement the changes. You may check following article
for more information about using collections in .NET:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dncscol/html/csharp01212002.asp

NET's String class is the equivalent for CString. The difference is .NET
String can't be modified. It always creates a new one upon change. If you
have a lot of string modification StringBuilder is more efficient.

Best Regards,
Leo Chen

--------------------

| Subject: Porting from VC++6 to .NET Framework (Objects, Collections)
| Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:44:59 -0500

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc,microsoft.public.vc.mfc
|
| I'm involved in a project that will continue to develop VC++6 and unmanged
| VC++7 modules in the short term but our longer term goal is to port these
| modules to managed C++ or C#.
|
| I'm looking for any advice or references relating to what objects and
| collection types should we use now that will support our porting in the
| future.  For example, should I use CArray or CObArray?  And what about the
| CString - how can I ease the transition to the .NET String?
|
| I appreciate any advice.
|
| Joe

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:30:33 GMT

1. Porting from VC++6 to .NET Framework (Objects, Collections)

2. Regular .Net Framework versus Compact .Net Framework

3. Problem with ATLCONV.H when porting from VC++6.0 to VC++.NET

4. VC and net framework

5. What is the position of VC in .NET Framework

6. Where can I get the .Net Framework object hierarchy diagram

7. .NET Framework object heirarchy chart?

8. Problem porting ATL project from VC++ 6.0 to VC++.NET 2003

9. access violation due to bad CString copy ctor when porting from VC6 to VC7 (VC++.NET)

10. migrating com object from vc 6 to vc .NET

11. Retrival of objects from collection in vc