Configuration always out ofdate
Author Message
 Configuration always out ofdate

I have a VC6 workspace that I have converted to VC7. It contains a couple of
projects (MFC app + resource dlls). In VC7 it always indicates that it is
out of date. In other words, I can build the project without errors and when
I go to run it, it complains that the "These project configurations are out
of date, would you like to build them?"

I have been all over these projects and can't find any dependency problems.
Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks,
Bob Freeman

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:56:00 GMT
 Configuration always out ofdate
There are a few rebuild bugs in VC, but they can be worked around. They have
also been addressed in future release of VC.

If it's the RC or MIDL file that is rebuilding, you might have the case
where the IDL or RC file are located outside the project directory, but they
include something that is in the project directory. To correct this, and the
project dir to the list of Additional Include Directories for each file
('.') to the MIDL and Project properties.

Also RC will rebuild it contains in internal binary. That is a property on
a binary resource has the "External File" set to false. If you set this back
to true and use external files it will work around the problem.

If you have something that is relinking every time, it might be the use of a
project macro on  the "Additional Dependencies" property on the linker. You
can get around this by adding the path to the "Additional Library
Directories" and just listing the lib on the on the "Additional
Dependencies" prop.

If it's not one of these cases, let me know.

Brick

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved

Quote:
> I have a VC6 workspace that I have converted to VC7. It contains a couple
of
> projects (MFC app + resource dlls). In VC7 it always indicates that it is
> out of date. In other words, I can build the project without errors and
when
> I go to run it, it complains that the "These project configurations are
out
> of date, would you like to build them?"

> I have been all over these projects and can't find any dependency
problems.
> Any ideas how to solve this?

> Thanks,
> Bob Freeman

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 05:32:25 GMT
 Configuration always out ofdate
Follow Up since we took this offline:

This is a known design limitation the .rc dependency scanner. If you have a
#include in the .rc file that is #ifdef out during a build, the dependency
scanner for .rc files doesn't understand compile time directives. So, if you
have an #ifdef around an include of a file that doesn't exist on your
system, it will keep rebuilding the .rc file.

If the #ifdef is needed, you can use the sysincl.dat file to tell the deps
scanner to stop looking for this file (the one in the #ifdef block). You can
look up in the VS help on "sysincl.dat" to get more details.

Brick

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved

Life is too short, play games www.zone.com

Quote:
> There are a few rebuild bugs in VC, but they can be worked around. They
have
> also been addressed in future release of VC.

> If it's the RC or MIDL file that is rebuilding, you might have the case
> where the IDL or RC file are located outside the project directory, but
they
> include something that is in the project directory. To correct this, and
the
> project dir to the list of Additional Include Directories for each file
> ('.') to the MIDL and Project properties.

> Also RC will rebuild it contains in internal binary. That is a property on
> a binary resource has the "External File" set to false. If you set this
back
> to true and use external files it will work around the problem.

> If you have something that is relinking every time, it might be the use of
> project macro on  the "Additional Dependencies" property on the linker.
You
> can get around this by adding the path to the "Additional Library
> Directories" and just listing the lib on the on the "Additional
> Dependencies" prop.

> If it's not one of these cases, let me know.

> Brick

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved

> > I have a VC6 workspace that I have converted to VC7. It contains a
couple
> of
> > projects (MFC app + resource dlls). In VC7 it always indicates that it
is
> > out of date. In other words, I can build the project without errors and
> when
> > I go to run it, it complains that the "These project configurations are
> out
> > of date, would you like to build them?"

> > I have been all over these projects and can't find any dependency
> problems.
> > Any ideas how to solve this?

> > Thanks,
> > Bob Freeman

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 01:15:17 GMT

--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:16:13 GMT

--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:16:19 GMT

1. vs.NET C++ Project Configurations Always Out of Date

2. Checksums of a.outs

3. Colour print outs of source code ?

4. Configuration Manager loses configurations

5. Unhandled Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationException: Could not create System Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System

6. VC7 project always out-of-date, always rebuilds all

7. saving configuration files

8. "Microsoft .NET Framework Configuration" + mscorlib.resources

9. Configuration of database applications

10. Configuration system

11. Project Configurations are out of date -- another solution for Libraries/LIB files

12. Configuration files for DLL`s when app is unmanaged .exe