CoCreateInstance fails for restricted users
Author Message
 CoCreateInstance fails for restricted users

I have an inproc COM component. The CoCreateInstance call
succeeds in loading the component for power users but
fails for restricted users on Windows 2000/Windows XP. The
error code is REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (or 0x80040154). I have
checked the registry to confirm that the component IS
registered. The class ID of the component is present and
the Inprocserver32 points to the correct DLL. I have also
verified that restricted users have read access to the
registry entry matching the CLSID of the component. So why
do I get REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG???? And why things work for
power users? That is, CoCreateInstance works fine with no
error code when I am logged on as an Admin, but not when I
am logged on as a restricted users

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 03:33:56 GMT
 CoCreateInstance fails for restricted users

Quote:

> I have an inproc COM component. The CoCreateInstance call
> succeeds in loading the component for power users but
> fails for restricted users on Windows 2000/Windows XP. The
> error code is REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (or 0x80040154). I have
> checked the registry to confirm that the component IS
> registered.

Check access rights to corresponding registry keys.
You can also use remon utility from www.sysinternals.com to
monitor registry access and see where it fails.

Ivan

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 04:32:16 GMT
 CoCreateInstance fails for restricted users
Also see Brian Muth's replies in vc.atl.  Please don't multipost.

--
Craig Powers
MVP - Visual C++

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 04:58:58 GMT
 CoCreateInstance fails for restricted users

Quote:

> Check access rights to corresponding registry keys.
> You can also use remon utility from www.sysinternals.com

Sorry for the typo. I meant "regmon".

Ivan

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:14:43 GMT

1. CoCreateInstance fails for restricted users

2. FindFirstFile in restricted user mode

3. restricting users

4. How to restrict the user to resize the bitmap size in richtextbox

5. How to restrict user from sizing your app?

6. How to restrict user from sizing your app?

7. How to restrict user from sizing y

8. Restrict user access to Pocket PC Features

9. How do I restrict user w/MSFTP?

10. CoCreateInstance fails for DAO

11. CoCreateInstance failed when called the second time

12. CoCreateInstance failed, please help!