Can't share a file between projects (in same solution)?
Author Message
 Can't share a file between projects (in same solution)?

Most of the VC6 workspaces that I use have multiple projects that share
files.  I can't seem to do this in VC7's solutions.

Do I have to resort to one project per solution?

Thanks,
Tom.

Fri, 28 May 2004 06:35:31 GMT
 Can't share a file between projects (in same solution)?
You should be able to share files across VC Project in VC7. Can you tell me
more about the problems you are seeing when you are trying to share the
files?

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

reserved

Quote:

> Most of the VC6 workspaces that I use have multiple projects that share
> files.  I can't seem to do this in VC7's solutions.

> Do I have to resort to one project per solution?

> Thanks,
> Tom.

Sat, 29 May 2004 01:58:16 GMT
 Can't share a file between projects (in same solution)?
I'm using VS.NET Beta2 on Win2K.

I'm looking at the solutions explorer.
Whether I use drag-and-drop or cut-and-paste there is no 'copy' option for
files, just 'move'.

Similarly, if I get a context menu for a file in the source editor, it shows
a 'move into project' option, but nothing about 'inserting' or 'copying'
into a project.

Wait.  I just realized that the 'move into project' option on the context
menu moves the file into the new project and doesn't remove it from the old.
Problem solved!  I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Thanks anyway.

Tom.

Quote:
> You should be able to share files across VC Project in VC7. Can you tell
me
> more about the problems you are seeing when you are trying to share the
> files?

> --
> Brick
> VC++ Project Model

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved

> > Most of the VC6 workspaces that I use have multiple projects that share
> > files.  I can't seem to do this in VC7's solutions.

> > Do I have to resort to one project per solution?

> > Thanks,
> > Tom.

Sat, 29 May 2004 22:41:45 GMT
 Can't share a file between projects (in same solution)?
To get a copy action while Drag and Dropping, hold down the Ctrl key, you
should see a little '+' symbol appear. If you drop on the project node, it
will add the files based on the filters on the folders. If you drop on a
folder in the project, it will ignore the filter, and force the dropped file
into the project folder. This will not make a copy on disk, it only adds a
relative reference.

The other way to do it is to select the project you want to add a copy to,
and do a right click and select "Add existing item" then browse to the
source files in the other project and add them. This will add a relative
reference to the source file in the other project. It wont make a copy of
the file on disk. Only one copy of the source will exist in the original
project.

However, if you do this in VC# and VB, it will make a copy on disk.

Happy Coding.

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

reserved

Quote:

> I'm using VS.NET Beta2 on Win2K.

> I'm looking at the solutions explorer.
> Whether I use drag-and-drop or cut-and-paste there is no 'copy' option for
> files, just 'move'.

> Similarly, if I get a context menu for a file in the source editor, it
shows
> a 'move into project' option, but nothing about 'inserting' or 'copying'
> into a project.

> Wait.  I just realized that the 'move into project' option on the context
> menu moves the file into the new project and doesn't remove it from the
old.
> Problem solved!  I guess I didn't look hard enough.

> Thanks anyway.

> Tom.

> > You should be able to share files across VC Project in VC7. Can you tell
> me
> > more about the problems you are seeing when you are trying to share the
> > files?

> > --
> > Brick
> > VC++ Project Model

> rights.
> > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
> > reserved

> > > Most of the VC6 workspaces that I use have multiple projects that
share
> > > files.  I can't seem to do this in VC7's solutions.

> > > Do I have to resort to one project per solution?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Tom.

Sun, 30 May 2004 10:40:42 GMT

1. how to share the codes in two projects of one solution in visual studio .net

2. Project Configurations are out of date -- another solution for Libraries/LIB files

3. Folder Item(Grouping Projects) in Solution File(SLN)?

4. Solution, Project, and File Naming

5. Base Classes and Solution/Project Files

6. VC 7 Project Files listed in the Solution Explorer

7. conver a VC.net solution/projects back to VC6 workspace/project

8. Copy Project not available to 20 of 21 projects in Solution Explorer

9. fopen() question - 'shared' files under DOS

11. Sharing source files between projects

12. Share source file among projects