Charging for .NET?
Author Message
 Charging for .NET?

Hi,
I've heard rumors that MS will charge developers
significant amounts of money to use the .NET
framework. I would like to know if this is true,
and if it is, why is anybody using it at all????

Thanks,
Mark.

Mon, 24 May 2004 11:03:08 GMT
 Charging for .NET?
I believe that Microsoft has announced pricing for companies to integrate
with .Net My Services.
http://www.microsoft.com/myservices/services/userexperiences.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/MYSERVICES/services/faq.asp
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7629784.html
Note however, that developers are not required to integrate with .Net My
Services.  .Net My Services is an online service, provided by Microsoft -
you aren't required to use it.  And other companies can develop competing
services (and probably will).

It is also probably a safe bet that Microsoft would charge for Microsoft
Visual Studio .Net, although I don't think pricing has been announced for
that.

And then at the lowest level, there is the .Net Framework SDK.  I do not
know if there have been any official announcements about whether the .Net
Framework SDK will be available for free download, or if there will be a
charge.

Most of the FUD about "Beware!  Developing for .Net will cost you big
bucks!" has been centered around the .Net My Services pricing.  But .Net My
Services is a very specific set of online services.  In no way are
developers required to pay the development license for .Net My Services,
just "to use the .NET framework".

--Don

Quote:
> Hi,
> I've heard rumors that MS will charge developers
> significant amounts of money to use the .NET
> framework. I would like to know if this is true,
> and if it is, why is anybody using it at all????

> Thanks,
> Mark.

Mon, 24 May 2004 05:35:58 GMT
 Charging for .NET?
Developing and deploying on the .NET framework is free. In fact the .NET
framework SDK is downloadable from MSDN site. Your web site can deploy
deploy ASP.NET application with no licensing cost and you can write and
distribute any application developed on the .NET framework with no
additional cost. The .NET framework SDK is similar to the the traditional
Platform SDK, using it, you can develop software for Windows platform
freely.

.NET My Services is a different set of web services built on .NET
technology, it has not been released, and there will be a separate pricing
model for those web services.

VisualStudio .NET is the development IDE, it is the new version of Visual
Studio 6, with significant enhancements, and support for .NET development.
There are a number of diffirent editions of VisualStudio .NET ( from
Academic to Architect), and they have different set of features and priced
accordingly.

Anson Tsao
Microsoft Visual C++

Quote:
> Hi,
> I've heard rumors that MS will charge developers
> significant amounts of money to use the .NET
> framework. I would like to know if this is true,
> and if it is, why is anybody using it at all????

> Thanks,
> Mark.

Mon, 24 May 2004 09:24:29 GMT
 Charging for .NET?
Hi,
Thanks Don/Anson for clearing that up. My only nagging
doubt is that maybe some components will have dependencies
on "My Services" and hence cost money through subterfuge?
Am I being over cautious?

Cheers,
Mark Jordan.

Quote:
> Developing and deploying on the .NET framework is free. In fact the .NET
> framework SDK is downloadable from MSDN site. Your web site can deploy
> deploy ASP.NET application with no licensing cost and you can write and
> distribute any application developed on the .NET framework with no
> additional cost. The .NET framework SDK is similar to the the traditional
> Platform SDK, using it, you can develop software for Windows platform
> freely.

> .NET My Services is a different set of web services built on .NET
> technology, it has not been released, and there will be a separate pricing
> model for those web services.

> VisualStudio .NET is the development IDE, it is the new version of Visual
> Studio 6, with significant enhancements, and support for .NET development.
> There are a number of diffirent editions of VisualStudio .NET ( from
> Academic to Architect), and they have different set of features and priced
> accordingly.

> Anson Tsao
> Microsoft Visual C++

> > Hi,
> > I've heard rumors that MS will charge developers
> > significant amounts of money to use the .NET
> > framework. I would like to know if this is true,
> > and if it is, why is anybody using it at all????

> > Thanks,
> > Mark.

Tue, 25 May 2004 10:26:03 GMT
 Charging for .NET?
.NET My Services are web services. They provide a number of functionalities
that is currently not available anywhere (except Passport). So if you have
no need to use them, then you do not need to subscribe to their services.
Currently, the Framework has no support or dependencies on My Services.
There'll obviously be framework support for .NET My Services when they are
available, but like services such as DirectX, you don't have to use them.

.NET is really a general programming platform (much like the Platform SDK,
COM, etc.)  .NET My Services uses the .NET Web Services and programming
model to support features such as: User Profile, Contacts, Locations,
Alterts, Presence, Inbox etc. (You can think of them as programmable
versions of Hotmail, MSN services etc.)

--
Anson Tsao
Visual C++ libraries team

Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
disclaimer from our lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Quote:
> Hi,
> Thanks Don/Anson for clearing that up. My only nagging
> doubt is that maybe some components will have dependencies
> on "My Services" and hence cost money through subterfuge?
> Am I being over cautious?

> Cheers,
> Mark Jordan.

> > Developing and deploying on the .NET framework is free. In fact the .NET
> > framework SDK is downloadable from MSDN site. Your web site can deploy
> > deploy ASP.NET application with no licensing cost and you can write and
> > distribute any application developed on the .NET framework with no
> > additional cost. The .NET framework SDK is similar to the the
traditional
> > Platform SDK, using it, you can develop software for Windows platform
> > freely.

> > .NET My Services is a different set of web services built on .NET
> > technology, it has not been released, and there will be a separate
pricing
> > model for those web services.

> > VisualStudio .NET is the development IDE, it is the new version of
Visual
> > Studio 6, with significant enhancements, and support for .NET
development.
> > There are a number of diffirent editions of VisualStudio .NET ( from
> > Academic to Architect), and they have different set of features and
priced
> > accordingly.

> > Anson Tsao
> > Microsoft Visual C++

> > > Hi,
> > > I've heard rumors that MS will charge developers
> > > significant amounts of money to use the .NET
> > > framework. I would like to know if this is true,
> > > and if it is, why is anybody using it at all????

> > > Thanks,
> > > Mark.

Tue, 25 May 2004 02:46:20 GMT
 Charging for .NET?

Quote:

> Thanks Don/Anson for clearing that up. My only nagging
> doubt is that maybe some components will have dependencies
> on "My Services" and hence cost money through subterfuge?
> Am I being over cautious?

Hello Mark,
  I think you can count on this situation _not_ happening.  The .NET
Frameworks is treated much like the platform SDK for Windows, where the
Frameworks is redistributable.

--
Cheerio!
Brandon Bray                 Progam Manager in the Visual C++ Compiler Team

And now a word from the lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Tue, 25 May 2004 02:50:25 GMT
 Charging for .NET?

Quote:

> > Thanks Don/Anson for clearing that up. My only nagging
> > doubt is that maybe some components will have dependencies
> > on "My Services" and hence cost money through subterfuge?
> > Am I being over cautious?

> Hello Mark,
>   I think you can count on this situation _not_ happening.  The .NET
> Frameworks is treated much like the platform SDK for Windows, where the
> Frameworks is redistributable.

Hi Brandon,
Of course that leads me to ask if the existing platform
SDK is going to have new components added, or will any
new stuff appear exclusively in the .NET framework?

Cheers,
Mark.

Wed, 26 May 2004 11:27:59 GMT
 Charging for .NET?

Quote:

> Of course that leads me to ask if the existing platform
> SDK is going to have new components added, or will any
> new stuff appear exclusively in the .NET framework?

Hi Mark,
   I'm certain that it will have new features over time.  There's still
plenty that the PSDK offers that its worth updating.  Many new features will
certainly appear exclusively in the .NET framework, but the two complement
eachother more than try to replace one another.

--
Cheerio!
Brandon Bray                 Progam Manager in the Visual C++ Compiler Team

And now a word from the lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Wed, 26 May 2004 08:20:49 GMT

1. Borland charges before delivers

2. Help: First Project, What do I Charge?

3. MSJ charging for code

4. What should I charge for an hourly rate?

5. Know anyone a good .NET/C#/Vb.net/ASP.NET/ADO.NET message board/mailing list/newsletter???????

6. Regular .Net Framework versus Compact .Net Framework

7. calling from non-net C++ DLL to .net DLL and back

8. C# .NET vs C++ .NET

9. .net runtime needed for C++.net

10. Upgrading from .NET to .NET 2003

11. Problems with .net classes and encapsulation in visual c++.net

12. difference betwen VC .net and C#, VB.net