make a service invisible
Author Message
 make a service invisible

Is there any registry tweaking options in XP for hiding a
service from the Administrative Tools\Services form that
shows all the services? Or some setting that I can code
into C++ when I compile the service?
   I have a service in a program that gets installed on
local computers but the users (even an admin) must not be
able to (easily) stop the service. The program is a web
filter that runs as a service, so obviously if it gets
installed on a computer it is supposed to be running and
not be allowed to be shut off by just going into services
and stopping it.
   Any help appreciated. The program is written in C++,
so we can do it in the code or maybe as simple as some
Registry setting?
Thanks,Conrad

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:21:41 GMT
 make a service invisible

Quote:
> Is there any registry tweaking options in XP for hiding a
> service from the Administrative Tools\Services form that
> shows all the services?

None that I know of.

Quote:
> Or some setting that I can code  into C++ when
> I compile the service?

Not to hide it. If  components that are absolutely critical to the operation
of an NT based system like CSRSS.EXE and LSASS.EXE show up in the task
manager's list it is hard to imagine that a user service should need to be
more stealthy. Unless, of course, it is a worm, a trojan, or a virus that we
are discussing.

Quote:
> I have a service in a program that gets installed on
> local computers but the users (even an admin) must not be
> able to (easily) stop the service. The program is a web
> filter that runs as a service, so obviously if it gets
> installed on a computer it is supposed to be running and
> not be allowed to be shut off by just going into services
> and stopping it.

Don't respond to the stop command. Of course, if an admin chooses to, he/she
can mark the service for a manual start on reboot and/or simply remove it.
That's why there are admins, to administer the security policy. As Martha
says, that's a good thing. :-) And if they can remove the service, why fret
over their ability to stop it?

Regards,
Will

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:23:03 GMT

1. Making a control invisible ?

2. Making an invisible exe

3. Making dialog controls invisible at runtime

4. Making an invisible program

5. Making an app start invisible

6. Making window invisible at startup.

7. Making application invisible to the Window

8. making an ActiveX control invisible

9. Making a CButton and CEdit invisible

10. Making a view completely invisible.

11. Making a dialog invisible