Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?
Author Message
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Will there be bug fix service packs released for VC 7.1, or do we have
to wait an additional year for VC 8.0 before we see any fixes?

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:21:22 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:

> Will there be bug fix service packs released for VC 7.1, or do we have
> to wait an additional year for VC 8.0 before we see any fixes?

VC7.1 has not even shipped yet, so we don't know what our plans are for
shipping any service packs for VC7.1.

Cheerio!

--
Brandon Bray                                          Visual C++ Compiler

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:38:32 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:

> VC7.1 has not even shipped yet, so we don't know what our plans are for
> shipping any service packs for VC7.1.

This is a signal MS!
Customers still think that a product is OK at the moment a service pack no 1
comes in:)
I would have answered: Yes, a Sp1 will come one month after RTM...
Quote:
> Cheerio!

> --
> Brandon Bray                                          Visual C++ Compiler
> This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:33:00 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:

> Will there be bug fix service packs released for VC 7.1, or do we have
> to wait an additional year for VC 8.0 before we see any fixes?

You forgot to ask if there will be service pack for VC 8.0, or if we
have to wait a year for version 9.0. etc...

Daniel Anderson

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:22:35 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:
> This is a signal MS!
> Customers still think that a product is OK at the moment a service pack no
1
> comes in:)

Many customers *cough*IT*cough* _wait_ for that first service pack. :)

-Sean

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:55:08 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:

> > Will there be bug fix service packs released for VC 7.1, or do we have
> > to wait an additional year for VC 8.0 before we see any fixes?

> You forgot to ask if there will be service pack for VC 8.0, or if we
> have to wait a year for version 9.0. etc...

Well I thought it was a legit question.  There have been a number of
bugs in VC 7.1 final beta posted here and most of them are not going
to be fixed for the release, so I wanted to get an idea of when they
might be fixed.

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 09:26:38 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:

> > > Will there be bug fix service packs released for VC 7.1, or do we have
> > > to wait an additional year for VC 8.0 before we see any fixes?

> > You forgot to ask if there will be service pack for VC 8.0, or if we
> > have to wait a year for version 9.0. etc...

> Well I thought it was a legit question.  There have been a number of
> bugs in VC 7.1 final beta posted here and most of them are not going
> to be fixed for the release, so I wanted to get an idea of when they
> might be fixed.

It was a legit question :), just a bit funny. I think that if
microsoft says: there will be a service pack, then people will wait
for service pack instead of upgrading.

And putting together a service pack is a lot of work, they must plan
it. It's only after shipping and having comments back that they'll be
able to know what to put in.

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:21:04 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?
I think this an indication of how unhappy/angry we are
about the fact that we are being forced to do another code
port just to get the ide etc bug fixes.

My first look at the new c++ compiler is showing a hige
amount of compiler breaks in our and third party lib code
( eg the forced use of typename ).

Perhaps we should have waited for the sp1 before moving :-(

Quote:

Visual C++ Compiler
>This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

>.

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:18:23 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:
> My first look at the new c++ compiler is showing a hige
> amount of compiler breaks in our and third party lib code
> ( eg the forced use of typename ).

Your example is not valid (as something that might be "fixed" in a service
pack).  Rather, it's a case where VS.NET compiled code that was invalid
according to the standard - 7.1 is simply telling you that your code was
wrong all along.

-cd

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:56:48 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:
> I think this an indication of how unhappy/angry we are
> about the fact that we are being forced to do another code
> port just to get the ide etc bug fixes.

> My first look at the new c++ compiler is showing a hige
> amount of compiler breaks in our and third party lib code
> ( eg the forced use of typename ).

I certainly understand your pain.  We (the compiler team) have fixed up
several large code bases in Microsoft (NT and VS) as well as our own test
suites.

It was a difficult decision to force the use of typename.

We definitely considered a backwards compatibility switch.  In the end, we
felt it was most important to deliver uncompromised ISO C++ conformance.  We
also felt that the complexity introduced by trying to maintain a backwards
compatibility switch didn't warrant the risks involved.

Fortunately, it's usually trivial to fix your code.  You could almost write
a script to do it.  FWIW, fixing your code makes it portable, not that we'd
ever want you to switch compilers :).  Of course it also means you'll have
greater access to other modern third party libraries.

Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:31:02 GMT
 Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

Quote:

> Well I thought it was a legit question.  There have been a number of
> bugs in VC 7.1 final beta posted here and most of them are not going
> to be fixed for the release, so I wanted to get an idea of when they
> might be fixed.

It's definitely a worth while question -- we just don't know what our plans
are right now.  Usually service packs are customer driven, so issues
reported through product support and given a QFE (basically a hot fix) get
rolled up into a service pack.

I hope that helps!

--
Brandon Bray                                          Visual C++ Compiler

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:34:51 GMT

1. Problem to convert from VC 6.0 to VC 7.1 because of using filebuf::setmode()

2. Slower compilation with VC Net 2003 (7.1) when compared to VC Net 7.0

3. Service Pack 3 to Service Pack 4

4. ICE with vc 7.1 and simple spirit grammar

5. VC 7.1 seems to ignore typedef in template

6. Conversion from VC 7.0 to 7.1

7. Service Pack for VC 6 404'd?

8. VC 7.1 ICE

9. VC 7.1 - can't find correct MFC sources during debugging

10. VC 7.1 and massive (repeating) warning messages

11. VC ++ and Service Pack 4

12. W2K Service Pack 1 - VC ++ 6.0 Debugger Problem