Localize Managed C++ Dll
Author Message
 Localize Managed C++ Dll

Does anyone know how to set up a C++ project to create
localized versions of the DLL. I have embedded a resx
file containing err strings that need to be translated
into other languages. With a C# project the files get
created during compile time as DLLNAME.resources.dll for
each language. How do I do the same thing for a managed
C++ project?

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 03:39:12 GMT
 Localize Managed C++ Dll
Quote:
> Does anyone know how to set up a C++ project to create
> localized versions of the DLL. I have embedded a resx
> file containing err strings that need to be translated
> into other languages. With a C# project the files get
> created during compile time as DLLNAME.resources.dll for
> each language. How do I do the same thing for a managed
> C++ project?

C++ projects are localized using the old Windows resource files (.rc).
You have to manualy create separate projects to build the localized DLLs
(can be also sub-projects of the one to be localized).
The recomanded solution is to have resource only dlls (no code).
Using the DLLs is also "manual work." You should load the proper DLL and
the use it's hInstance to load the resources.
If you are using MFC it is a little easier, just use AfxSetResourceHandle
after you load the dll.

Mihai

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:27:37 GMT
 Localize Managed C++ Dll

Quote:
> Does anyone know how to set up a C++ project to create
> localized versions of the DLL. I have embedded a resx
> file containing err strings that need to be translated
> into other languages. With a C# project the files get
> created during compile time as DLLNAME.resources.dll for
> each language. How do I do the same thing for a managed
> C++ project?

I am struggeling with a similar problem.

Currently I do a resgen, Then in
Linker|Input|Embed Managed Resource file
i add the .resources file.

It works, except I always get the default one (note the one for the current
culture).

I think the correct approach must be in direction of setting the
build steps manually.

If you find a solution, please inform us!

(BTW, a think .txt would be more appropriate than .resx for your case)

Thanks!
Olav

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:45:20 GMT
 Localize Managed C++ Dll
Hi Nick,

You may check following article to create the satellite assembly:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconcreatingsat...
ssemblies.asp

Additionally, if you are using VS .NET 2003, the MC++ form designer can
also generate the satellite assembly if we change the language attribute of
the form.

Best Regards,
Leo Chen

--------------------

| Subject: Localize Managed C++ Dll
| Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:39:12 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
|
| Does anyone know how to set up a C++ project to create
| localized versions of the DLL. I have embedded a resx
| file containing err strings that need to be translated
| into other languages. With a C# project the files get
| created during compile time as DLLNAME.resources.dll for
| each language. How do I do the same thing for a managed
| C++ project?

Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:25:12 GMT

1. using Managed dlls from Managed C++

2. How to call managed C++ DLL from unmanaged C++ EXE

3. Managed C++ DLL linked to static (C++) libraries (VSNet Beta 2)

4. Managed c++ with older dll

5. Debugging into managed c++ DLL that is being used by unmanaged code

6. using CRT in a managed C++ library DLL

7. Managed C++ call unmanaged DLL error

8. Managed C++ dll permission problem.

9. Managed C++ using unmanged DLL.

10. Summary of objects in Managed C++ dlls

11. Adding a C# dll to a managed C++ project

12. Version Info in Managed C++ DLLs