Microsoft how do you do this?
Author Message
 Microsoft how do you do this?

I have looked and looked and looked.... Please do not say this is the wrong
newsgroup,
as it appears that there a no c++ programmers on any other group.

How do you use msxml.dll to put xml data back into a database table.
I'm looking for a c++ code example.

Please do not send me ADO examples that require the ADO dll.
There must be a way to do this in C++ with msxml.dll or what use is
msxml.dll?
thank you
Mark

Mon, 24 May 2004 16:16:01 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?

Quote:
> There must be a way to do this in C++ with msxml.dll or what use is
> msxml.dll?

MSXML is for accessing and working with XML-Data/Files.

If you want to communicate with a database, the recommended way is ADO...
you cannot do this with MSXML...
And ADO has also abilities to use XML...
And you can access ADO from C++...

See also (as an example for a database communication):
"Getting the XML Data"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmls...
m/xmcongettingthexmldata.asp

Greetings
  Jochen

Mon, 24 May 2004 16:44:14 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
Are you able to point out where it says that msxml is for accessing xml
only?
I'm a little sceptical that Microsoft would put out a new technique and make
it only get and not put.

Mark

Quote:
> > There must be a way to do this in C++ with msxml.dll or what use is
> > msxml.dll?

> MSXML is for accessing and working with XML-Data/Files.

> If you want to communicate with a database, the recommended way is ADO...
> you cannot do this with MSXML...
> And ADO has also abilities to use XML...
> And you can access ADO from C++...

> See also (as an example for a database communication):
> "Getting the XML Data"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmls...
Quote:
> m/xmcongettingthexmldata.asp

> Greetings
>   Jochen

Mon, 24 May 2004 16:56:38 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?

Quote:
> I'm a little sceptical that Microsoft would put out a new technique and
make
> it only get and not put.

Sorry, I was thinking about the "old" msxml in the "normal" world (without
.NET...)

But with .NET I also sow it only with ADO... but maybe there is a way...

Greetings
  Jochen

Mon, 24 May 2004 18:11:36 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
I always find it amazing how quickly MS staff fail to provide C++ examples
and fail to assist
with C++ questions on the newsgroups.....

I can only hope :)
cheers
Mark

Quote:
> > I'm a little sceptical that Microsoft would put out a new technique and
> make
> > it only get and not put.

> Sorry, I was thinking about the "old" msxml in the "normal" world (without
> .NET...)

> But with .NET I also sow it only with ADO... but maybe there is a way...

> Greetings
>   Jochen

Mon, 24 May 2004 18:18:57 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
Hi Mark,

Msxml is our generic XML object model.  This object model can parse XML
input (which can then be manipulated) or be used to create a new XML
document.  It sounds as though you want to do the latter.

Our database, SQL Server can be updated in a number of ways.  ADO.NET and
OLE DB are 2 object models that we have that let you manipulate data in your
database.  They both essentially hide the raw data that is being sent back
and forth between your application and the database.  With these object
models, you can execute your query (or stored proc) and work with your data
via their object model.

What it sounds like you want is to be able to create a XML document and use
that to update the database.  This is possible as well.  Please see this
link to see how SQL Server supports this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?co...
=28001300&frame=true.  If you poke around from there, you'll be able to see
all the various ways that SQL Server supports XML.

The approach that you choose will largely depend on what you want to in your
application.  As a general rule of thumb, if you just want to do basic
database work (ie. run queries, sprocs) or you want to be able to work with
different database servers,  I would suggest going with ADO.NET or OLE DB.

Hope this helps.

reserved.

Thanks,

Eric Lee
ATL Server -- Microsoft Visual C++ Team

Quote:
> I always find it amazing how quickly MS staff fail to provide C++ examples
> and fail to assist
> with C++ questions on the newsgroups.....

> I can only hope :)
> cheers
> Mark

> > > I'm a little sceptical that Microsoft would put out a new technique
and
> > make
> > > it only get and not put.

> > Sorry, I was thinking about the "old" msxml in the "normal" world
(without
> > .NET...)

> > But with .NET I also sow it only with ADO... but maybe there is a way...

> > Greetings
> >   Jochen

Wed, 26 May 2004 02:54:14 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
Hi Eric,

I have read this over and over again.  Please point me to a simple example
in c++ of how to take a xml BSTR and update
a SQL 2000 table using msxml.dll  I can use msxml.dll to pull xml from the
database, show me how to get it back in again.

I think this is a simple and quite direct question.  I have been asking for
a simple example for nearly
three weeks.  I'm yet to get an answer other than a runaround the Microsoft
site.

I would appreciate a simple example, pick the pubs database and say show me
how to update
one of the tables using msxml and c++ (no ADO, no HTTP)

thank you
Mark

Quote:
> Hi Mark,

> Msxml is our generic XML object model.  This object model can parse XML
> input (which can then be manipulated) or be used to create a new XML
> document.  It sounds as though you want to do the latter.

> Our database, SQL Server can be updated in a number of ways.  ADO.NET and
> OLE DB are 2 object models that we have that let you manipulate data in
your
> database.  They both essentially hide the raw data that is being sent back
> and forth between your application and the database.  With these object
> models, you can execute your query (or stored proc) and work with your
data
> via their object model.

> What it sounds like you want is to be able to create a XML document and
use
> that to update the database.  This is possible as well.  Please see this
> link to see how SQL Server supports this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?co...

> =28001300&frame=true.  If you poke around from there, you'll be able to
see
> all the various ways that SQL Server supports XML.

> The approach that you choose will largely depend on what you want to in
your
> application.  As a general rule of thumb, if you just want to do basic
> database work (ie. run queries, sprocs) or you want to be able to work
with
> different database servers,  I would suggest going with ADO.NET or OLE DB.

> Hope this helps.

> --
rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved.

> Thanks,

> Eric Lee
> ATL Server -- Microsoft Visual C++ Team

> > I always find it amazing how quickly MS staff fail to provide C++
examples
> > and fail to assist
> > with C++ questions on the newsgroups.....

> > I can only hope :)
> > cheers
> > Mark

> and
> > > make

> > > Sorry, I was thinking about the "old" msxml in the "normal" world
> (without
> > > .NET...)

> > > But with .NET I also sow it only with ADO... but maybe there is a
way...

> > > Greetings
> > >   Jochen

Thu, 27 May 2004 20:29:47 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
Maybe they just don't like you.

Quote:
> [...]

> your
> > application.  As a general rule of thumb, if you just want to do basic
> > database work (ie. run queries, sprocs) or you want to be able to work
> with
> > different database servers,  I would suggest going with ADO.NET or OLE
DB.

> > Hope this helps.

> > --
> rights.
> > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
> > reserved.

> > Thanks,

> > Eric Lee
> > ATL Server -- Microsoft Visual C++ Team

> > > I always find it amazing how quickly MS staff fail to provide C++
> examples
> > > and fail to assist
> > > with C++ questions on the newsgroups.....

Sat, 29 May 2004 03:59:46 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
Umm, please expand that to the whole C++ community and then you get it.
If you don;t do VB your out in the cold.

Mark

Quote:
> [...]

> > > link to see how SQL Server supports this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?co...

> > > =28001300&frame=true.  If you poke around from there, you'll be able
> > see
> > > all the various ways that SQL Server supports XML.

> > > The approach that you choose will largely depend on what you want to
in
> > your
> > > application.  As a general rule of thumb, if you just want to do basic
> > > database work (ie. run queries, sprocs) or you want to be able to work
> > with
> > > different database servers,  I would suggest going with ADO.NET or OLE
> DB.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > --
> > rights.
> > > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All

message

> technique
> > > and

> > > (without

> > way...

Sun, 30 May 2004 14:13:29 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
It appears you want an XML database.  Mapping XML in a DOM to SQL tables is
a non-trivial problem.  SQLXML is the answer.  It supports updating via a
"diffgram" (a.k.a "updategram") format.  If you can figure out the diffgram
from the changes made to the DOM tree then you could send that diffgtram to
SQLXML and it'll do the rest of the OLEDB stuff for you to update the
database.  See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnex...
l/xml07162001.asp for examples of using updategrams.

Cheers,
Chris.

Quote:
> [...]

> your
> > application.  As a general rule of thumb, if you just want to do basic
> > database work (ie. run queries, sprocs) or you want to be able to work
> with
> > different database servers,  I would suggest going with ADO.NET or OLE
DB.

> > Hope this helps.

> > --
> rights.
> > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
> > reserved.

> > Thanks,

> > Eric Lee
> > ATL Server -- Microsoft Visual C++ Team

> > > I always find it amazing how quickly MS staff fail to provide C++
> examples
> > > and fail to assist
> > > with C++ questions on the newsgroups.....

Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:39:47 GMT
 Microsoft how do you do this?
Got it sorted using stored proc and OpenXML and OLEDB calls
Moving right along finally.

Golly guys it would be good for a few more c++ examples
cheers
mark

Quote:
> [...]

> > > link to see how SQL Server supports this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?co...

> > > =28001300&frame=true.  If you poke around from there, you'll be able
> > see
> > > all the various ways that SQL Server supports XML.

> > > The approach that you choose will largely depend on what you want to
in
> > your
> > > application.  As a general rule of thumb, if you just want to do basic
> > > database work (ie. run queries, sprocs) or you want to be able to work
> > with
> > > different database servers,  I would suggest going with ADO.NET or OLE
> DB.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > --
> > rights.
> > > You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All

message

> technique
> > > and

> > > (without

> > way...

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:29:58 GMT

1. Microsoft shouldn't have done this

2. System.Threading.Timer , am I doing this correctly ?

3. Threading problem. I'm doing something wrong

4. How Should I go about doing this?

5. static member inheritance not doing what I want...

6. What is the common methjod of doing this in C#

7. Doing .NET with C++

8. Wot am I doing rong??

9. Difference between two different ways of doing things

10. Can this be done?

11. Creating a Virtual directory through a program as done by VS.NET IDE

12. fmtcheck() - could this be sanely done?