.NET remoting help, does the remoting framework look in the GAC?
Author Message
 .NET remoting help, does the remoting framework look in the GAC?

I am having problems using .NET remoting with respect to well known types.
Basically, when the client creates an instance of the registered well known
type, then attempts to access a member of the object, it fails with an
exception of

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name <assembly name of the
type>, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

I have a complete exception output, including a fusion log showing how it
searched for the assembly.  The assembly is in the GAC.

Now, as part of testing I setup a simple project with a class library
containing a simple type, then a server app that hosts the well known type,
and a client app that attempts to use the well known type.  If the class
library is only in the GAC (not copied to the client's bin directory) then I
get the same error.  If the class library is copied to the same directory
with the client, everything works.

I have a similar setup using activated types that seems to work OK.  I can
provide my simple project if someone will look at it.

Please help.

Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:11:41 GMT
 .NET remoting help, does the remoting framework look in the GAC?
Ron,

    Feel free to send it along to me, I'll take a look at it.

--
               - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Quote:
> I am having problems using .NET remoting with respect to well known types.
> Basically, when the client creates an instance of the registered well
known
> type, then attempts to access a member of the object, it fails with an
> exception of

> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name <assembly name of
the
> type>, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

> I have a complete exception output, including a fusion log showing how it
> searched for the assembly.  The assembly is in the GAC.

> Now, as part of testing I setup a simple project with a class library
> containing a simple type, then a server app that hosts the well known
type,
> and a client app that attempts to use the well known type.  If the class
> library is only in the GAC (not copied to the client's bin directory) then
> get the same error.  If the class library is copied to the same directory
> with the client, everything works.

> I have a similar setup using activated types that seems to work OK.  I can
> provide my simple project if someone will look at it.

> Please help.

Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:22:23 GMT
 .NET remoting help, does the remoting framework look in the GAC?
Reposting to see if Nicholas has had time to check on this.

Quote:
> Thanks Nicholas.  I'm attaching a zip file containing the example
solution.
> It consists of three projects, one containing the remotable object, one is
> the server, one is the client.  It should build if you unzip it anywhere.
> Once built, the dll for the class library (which will be under the
> RemoteTest top level directory) should be copied to the GAC.  At that
point
> if you run the server, then run the client, I get errors.  If I copy the
> class library dll to the server/bin/debug directory with the server exe
(not
> the client mind you), then the client does not produce errors and seems to
> work.

> Thanks for your help.  If you would rather communicate in email let me
know
> and I'll pass along my email address.

wrote

> > Ron,

> >     Feel free to send it along to me, I'll take a look at it.

> > --
> >                - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

> > > I am having problems using .NET remoting with respect to well known
> types.
> > > Basically, when the client creates an instance of the registered well
> > known
> > > type, then attempts to access a member of the object, it fails with an
> > > exception of

> > > System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name <assembly name
of
> > the
> > > type>, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

> > > I have a complete exception output, including a fusion log showing how
> it
> > > searched for the assembly.  The assembly is in the GAC.

> > > Now, as part of testing I setup a simple project with a class library
> > > containing a simple type, then a server app that hosts the well known
> > type,
> > > and a client app that attempts to use the well known type.  If the
class
> > > library is only in the GAC (not copied to the client's bin directory)
> then
> > > get the same error.  If the class library is copied to the same
> directory
> > > with the client, everything works.

> > > I have a similar setup using activated types that seems to work OK.  I
> can
> > > provide my simple project if someone will look at it.

> > > Please help.

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:45:24 GMT

1. Remoting framework client behind proxy

2. Need help with .Net Remoting in C++

3. help -- .NET remoting with security

4. Problem: Serialization with Remoting - please have a look!

5. Dumb .NET Remoting question...

6. .NET Remoting

7. Channels in .net remoting?

8. .NET Remoting and DCOM

9. Debugging .NET Remoting

10. Does tcp remoting require .net on both sides?

11. Remoting or ASP.net?

12. Access .NET remoting object locally