Adding COM+ dlls to Setup Project
Author Message
 Adding COM+ dlls to Setup Project

Hi.

I have an unmanaged C++ project that compiles to a number of C++ components.

Then I want to have a setup project in the same solution, that registers
these components with COM+. How do I do that. Do I really have to write a
dll with a CustomAction?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Str?iman

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:16:59 GMT
 Adding COM+ dlls to Setup Project
Hi Peter,

No, custom actions are not needed. Every project output has a "Registration"
property that should be set to <some prefix here>COMSelfReg. Then the
installer will invoke its DllRegisterServer function upon installation.

--
Dmitriy Lapshin
X-Unity Unit Testing and Integration Environment

Quote:
> Hi.

> I have an unmanaged C++ project that compiles to a number of C++
components.

> Then I want to have a setup project in the same solution, that registers
> these components with COM+. How do I do that. Do I really have to write a
> dll with a CustomAction?

> Thanks in advance,
> Peter Str?iman

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:21:48 GMT
 Adding COM+ dlls to Setup Project
But when the component is designed for COM+, they are not registered
correctly when self-registering. Then COM+ needs to register the component
for you.

Quote:
> Hi Peter,

> No, custom actions are not needed. Every project output has a
"Registration"
> property that should be set to <some prefix here>COMSelfReg. Then the
> installer will invoke its DllRegisterServer function upon installation.

> --
> Dmitriy Lapshin
> X-Unity Unit Testing and Integration Environment
> http://x-unity.miik.com.ua
> Deliver reliable .NET software

> > Hi.

> > I have an unmanaged C++ project that compiles to a number of C++
> components.

> > Then I want to have a setup project in the same solution, that registers
> > these components with COM+. How do I do that. Do I really have to write
> > dll with a CustomAction?

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Peter Str?iman

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:21:34 GMT
 Adding COM+ dlls to Setup Project

Peter,

My apologies, I overlooked the "+" sign. Probably you will have to develop a
custom action, if there are no predefined custom action available serving
for that purpose :-(

If you had a managed project, .NET framework would be able to do this job
for you, but with unmanaged C++ you're on your own, unfortunately.

--
Dmitriy Lapshin
X-Unity Unit Testing and Integration Environment
http://x-unity.miik.com.ua
Deliver reliable .NET software

Quote:
> But when the component is designed for COM+, they are not registered
> correctly when self-registering. Then COM+ needs to register the component
> for you.

> > Hi Peter,

> > No, custom actions are not needed. Every project output has a
> "Registration"
> > property that should be set to <some prefix here>COMSelfReg. Then the
> > installer will invoke its DllRegisterServer function upon installation.

> > --
> > Dmitriy Lapshin
> > X-Unity Unit Testing and Integration Environment
> > http://x-unity.miik.com.ua
> > Deliver reliable .NET software

> > > Hi.

> > > I have an unmanaged C++ project that compiles to a number of C++
> > components.

> > > Then I want to have a setup project in the same solution, that
registers
> > > these components with COM+. How do I do that. Do I really have to
write
> > > dll with a CustomAction?

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Peter Str?iman

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:28:55 GMT

1. Exporting MMC Snap-In objects from DLL, need help on project setup

2. Adding COM components to a WTL project

3. Add COM to VC++ Project?

4. Adding COM interfaces to an existing MFC Project

5. Add COM to VC++ Project?

6. Adding a C# dll to a managed C++ project

7. Adding a DLL to a project

8. Adding older DLL to MFC project

9. interface inheritance failing while referring the COM dll in .NET project

10. Using COM in dll-project

11. Cant use VC ATL COM DLL method at VB project

12. URGENT: mfcce300d.dll with Setup.dll for .CAB files