Data Access/Manipulation VB <-->Access97 DB
Author Message
 Data Access/Manipulation VB <-->Access97 DB

Hello,

I am writing a VB program that interacts with an Access 97 db.  Currently, I
am using a global ADODB connection (using client side cursor) and using it
various (procedure/module level) places in my app to write
to/delete/query/filter several ADODB recordsets based on one Access 97 table
(tblErrors).  The program may perform each process (write to, delete, query,
filter) several hundred times per 'cycle' (depending on the number of errors
discovered).  My question is regarding performance.

Currently, I have 5 fields in tblErrors and they are all TEXT data type.  I
am considering making them NUMBERS.   Within my app, I can of course use
STRINGS or INTEGERS, but I want to do whatever is faster.  So, which would
be faster?  What are the advantages/disagvantages of the two methods?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cam Canfield
Oregon Department of Revenue

Sat, 21 May 2005 06:09:28 GMT
 Data Access/Manipulation VB <-->Access97 DB
Cam,

Which one is faster will show you only test. There are many different
issues, which could impact performance. First of all it depends on if field
involved into index or not. If yes, then what kind of index is it? Primary
or not? I would suggest to make small test with inserts/deletes/updates
using both formats and measure performance to see what is acceptable for
you. Anly possible issue, if you decide to keep numeric values as a strings,
is that you would probably need to convert them into numeric values at some
moment of time, which also takes some time

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Hello,

> I am writing a VB program that interacts with an Access 97 db.  Currently,
> am using a global ADODB connection (using client side cursor) and using it
> various (procedure/module level) places in my app to write
> to/delete/query/filter several ADODB recordsets based on one Access 97
table
> (tblErrors).  The program may perform each process (write to, delete,
query,
> filter) several hundred times per 'cycle' (depending on the number of
errors
> discovered).  My question is regarding performance.

> Currently, I have 5 fields in tblErrors and they are all TEXT data type.
> am considering making them NUMBERS.   Within my app, I can of course use
> STRINGS or INTEGERS, but I want to do whatever is faster.  So, which would
> be faster?  What are the advantages/disagvantages of the two methods?
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

> Cam Canfield
> Oregon Department of Revenue

Sat, 21 May 2005 09:14:15 GMT

1. <<<<<<<<ComboBox>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. HELP >>>>>>WIN API <<<<<<<<<<

5. <<<<HELP- OLE container Control>>>>>>>>>

6. Access97 form <--> class data module

7. VB5<->RDO2<->ODBC<->ORACLE Procedure Problem

8. <<<Cneck Box>>>

9. <<<Gif Files>>>

10. <<<CD ROM>>>

11. <<<Win32Api.TXT>>>