Is SQLNET Required on Client for ADO-Oracle
Author Message
 Is SQLNET Required on Client for ADO-Oracle

Is SQLNET Required on Client for ADO-Oracle

I would think the answer would be no since that would be an additional layer
and I thought ADO was supposed to be a simple nothing additional needed
connection spec.  I was getting a TNS Cannot resolve name error when I tried
a connection to a server.  The Sys Admin types claim that means I am using
SQLNet on the client for the resolution.  If I dont need SQLNet on the
client, how can I specify the DB IP Address and Port and DB Instance to use.

Any help or references to info are appreciated
Thanks,

Karl Unsworth

Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Is SQLNET Required on Client for ADO-Oracle
Yes, it's required. OLEDB Providers or ODBC Drivers for Oracle are built on
top of the OCI layer of Oracle.

--
Carlos J. Quintero

Quote:
> Is SQLNET Required on Client for ADO-Oracle

> I would think the answer would be no since that would be an additional
layer
> and I thought ADO was supposed to be a simple nothing additional needed
> connection spec.  I was getting a TNS Cannot resolve name error when I
tried
> a connection to a server.  The Sys Admin types claim that means I am using
> SQLNet on the client for the resolution.  If I dont need SQLNet on the
> client, how can I specify the DB IP Address and Port and DB Instance to
use.

> Any help or references to info are appreciated
> Thanks,

> Karl Unsworth

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can ADO connect to Oracle without Oracle client???

2. What version of SQLNET does Oracle OLE DB provider require and ADO 2?

3. Oracle Glue / VB and SQLnet 2.1 ?

4. Help required in syntax to log into Oracle using ADO

5. ADO 2.1 with Oracle Client Problems

6. ADO 2.1 with Oracle Client Problems

7. Oracle ODBC (Native) and Visual Basic ADO 2.5 Timeouts and Hanging Clients

8. Oracle Client and VB w/ADO

9. ADO 2.1 with Oracle Client Problems

10. How to programing client to access the server require Client Certificate

11. HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

12. Oracle connection without Oracle client