WISE MDAC 2.7
Author Message
 WISE MDAC 2.7

Wise Install v9 provided an option to download their MDAC 2.7.   The file
sizes were a) slightly over 6 meg and b) slightly under 6 Meg.  I remembered
the 2.7 I've been using is slightly under 6 Meg.   Is it possible to
download more than one version of MDAC.  I ask because after the download
and a test install, when I returned to VB, I wound up with a corrupted
registry.   I can't pin down the cause.

Giacomo

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:45:02 GMT
 WISE MDAC 2.7
Giacomo,

Why not to use Microsoft's MDAC. This is their product and you should
install it. Also if you install newer version of MDAC, then you would need
to rollback to old one, if you need it.

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Wise Install v9 provided an option to download their MDAC 2.7.   The file
> sizes were a) slightly over 6 meg and b) slightly under 6 Meg.  I
remembered
> the 2.7 I've been using is slightly under 6 Meg.   Is it possible to
> download more than one version of MDAC.  I ask because after the download
> and a test install, when I returned to VB, I wound up with a corrupted
> registry.   I can't pin down the cause.

> Giacomo

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 04:09:21 GMT
 WISE MDAC 2.7

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 WISE MDAC 2.7

Just an update, the MDAC for XP SP1 is newer.  I replaced the files on my HD
for 2.7.090010 with the newer version 2.7.9030.9

Question is, do I also need to modify the scripts to say:

If MDACVER Less Than "2.70.9001.0" then

with the following:

If MDACVER Less Than "27.1.09030.9" then

Giacomo

Quote:
> Wise Install v9 provided an option to download their MDAC 2.7.   The file
> sizes were a) slightly over 6 meg and b) slightly under 6 Meg.  I
remembered
> the 2.7 I've been using is slightly under 6 Meg.   Is it possible to
> download more than one version of MDAC.  I ask because after the download
> and a test install, when I returned to VB, I wound up with a corrupted
> registry.   I can't pin down the cause.

> Giacomo

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 04:13:55 GMT
 WISE MDAC 2.7
Hi,

It depends on, but probably yes, you need to modify. I would suggest to
check only for major part version number, like 2.7, not minor part

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Just an update, the MDAC for XP SP1 is newer.  I replaced the files on my
HD
> for 2.7.090010 with the newer version 2.7.9030.9

> Question is, do I also need to modify the scripts to say:

> If MDACVER Less Than "2.70.9001.0" then

> with the following:

> If MDACVER Less Than "27.1.09030.9" then

> Giacomo

> > Wise Install v9 provided an option to download their MDAC 2.7.   The
file
> > sizes were a) slightly over 6 meg and b) slightly under 6 Meg.  I
> remembered
> > the 2.7 I've been using is slightly under 6 Meg.   Is it possible to
> > download more than one version of MDAC.  I ask because after the
download
> > and a test install, when I returned to VB, I wound up with a corrupted
> > registry.   I can't pin down the cause.

> > Giacomo

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 04:31:58 GMT
 WISE MDAC 2.7

Val,

I looked a bit deeper into this.   Oracle 8i has some issues with MDAC
2.6SP1 and upward regarding the MS COM+/MTS.  I am not using MS COM+/MTS
with the particular application which I am installing (on a Novell system
running Oracle 8i v8.1.7.0)   I'm not sure if there is an issue, but the
WISE install managed to disable my ability in vb to open the Project
References and has disabled the ability to open MMC.  These are both issues
I can get around - ISQLW.exe still operates well enough to retrieve
information from a SQL database being moved to the ORACLE 8i (please don't
ask why).  My concern is over a patch the Oracle provides
http://support.microsoft.com/support/complus/mtsandoracle.asp?SD=MSDN...
us&gssnb=1
which indicates that the Oracle database may need a patch.  I am not an
Oracle DBA nor anywhere close to being one.

I have a secondary concern regarding warnings about Wise possibly disabling
VB with the installation of the incorrect version of COMCAT.dll, but for the
life of me, I can't find where this may have occured, so I am assuming the
problem may be related more to the former than the latter, but I can't rule
out the comcat.dll problem.

For the best part, I will just move on since I can make everything function
without the capability described above, and will do so, but for my own
curiousity, I'd really like to know what the issue may be.

Giacomo

Quote:
> Hi,

> It depends on, but probably yes, you need to modify. I would suggest to
> check only for major part version number, like 2.7, not minor part

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > Just an update, the MDAC for XP SP1 is newer.  I replaced the files on
my
> HD
> > for 2.7.090010 with the newer version 2.7.9030.9

> > Question is, do I also need to modify the scripts to say:

> > If MDACVER Less Than "2.70.9001.0" then

> > with the following:

> > If MDACVER Less Than "27.1.09030.9" then

> > Giacomo

> > > Wise Install v9 provided an option to download their MDAC 2.7.   The
> file
> > > sizes were a) slightly over 6 meg and b) slightly under 6 Meg.  I
> > remembered
> > > the 2.7 I've been using is slightly under 6 Meg.   Is it possible to
> > > download more than one version of MDAC.  I ask because after the
> download
> > > and a test install, when I returned to VB, I wound up with a corrupted
> > > registry.   I can't pin down the cause.

> > > Giacomo

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:45:54 GMT
 WISE MDAC 2.7
Giacomo,

You will do not know about any possible issue until you will install
application and see what actually happens. I would suggets, if you can,
prepare test PC and try installation there

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Val,

> I looked a bit deeper into this.   Oracle 8i has some issues with MDAC
> 2.6SP1 and upward regarding the MS COM+/MTS.  I am not using MS COM+/MTS
> with the particular application which I am installing (on a Novell system
> running Oracle 8i v8.1.7.0)   I'm not sure if there is an issue, but the
> WISE install managed to disable my ability in vb to open the Project
> References and has disabled the ability to open MMC.  These are both
issues
> I can get around - ISQLW.exe still operates well enough to retrieve
> information from a SQL database being moved to the ORACLE 8i (please don't
> ask why).  My concern is over a patch the Oracle provides

http://support.microsoft.com/support/complus/mtsandoracle.asp?SD=MSDN...
Quote:
> us&gssnb=1
> which indicates that the Oracle database may need a patch.  I am not an
> Oracle DBA nor anywhere close to being one.

> I have a secondary concern regarding warnings about Wise possibly
disabling
> VB with the installation of the incorrect version of COMCAT.dll, but for
the
> life of me, I can't find where this may have occured, so I am assuming the
> problem may be related more to the former than the latter, but I can't
rule
> out the comcat.dll problem.

> For the best part, I will just move on since I can make everything
function
> without the capability described above, and will do so, but for my own
> curiousity, I'd really like to know what the issue may be.

> Giacomo

> > Hi,

> > It depends on, but probably yes, you need to modify. I would suggest to
> > check only for major part version number, like 2.7, not minor part

> > --
> > Val Mazur
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > Just an update, the MDAC for XP SP1 is newer.  I replaced the files on
> my
> > HD
> > > for 2.7.090010 with the newer version 2.7.9030.9

> > > Question is, do I also need to modify the scripts to say:

> > > If MDACVER Less Than "2.70.9001.0" then

> > > with the following:

> > > If MDACVER Less Than "27.1.09030.9" then

> > > Giacomo

> > file
> > > remembered
> > download

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:05:04 GMT

1. Does MDAC 2.7 Support RDO ?

2. MDAC 2.7 THAI

3. WinXP, MDAC 2.7 and Oracle8i connection issue

4. MDAC 2.7 silent install

5. Update all rows in a large database using Access 2002, MDAC 2.7, Jet 4.0

6. GUID problem in MDAC 2.7

7. MDAC 2.5 or 2.7

8. Upgrding to MDAC 2.7

9. MDAC 2.7