Beginner ADO Question
Author Message
 Beginner ADO Question

Hello all,

I feel a little slow to be asking what will probably turn out to be a
very easy answer, but here goes.  I just finished my first book on
programming VB databases and am trying to write a program to reinforce
what I learned, but can't find any help in the examples.

I am trying to add a new record to a database that I created using
visdata, so therefore there are no entries in the table yet.

I open the connection, open a recordset.  I try to add a new record by
using .addnew but I keep getting an error stating that the operation
requested by the application is not supported by the provider, then
when I debug it takes me to the .addnew line.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.  I just need to
know how I can add a new record to an empty table.  Thanks to all in
advance.

Brian

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner ADO Question
Check the connection's CursorType and LockType
Keyset cursors and pessimistic (or optimistic) lock types allow updatable
recordsets.

--
Ertugrul Uysal

Quote:

>Hello all,

>I feel a little slow to be asking what will probably turn out to be a
>very easy answer, but here goes.  I just finished my first book on
>programming VB databases and am trying to write a program to reinforce
>what I learned, but can't find any help in the examples.

>I am trying to add a new record to a database that I created using
>visdata, so therefore there are no entries in the table yet.

>I open the connection, open a recordset.  I try to add a new record by
>using .addnew but I keep getting an error stating that the operation
>requested by the application is not supported by the provider, then
>when I debug it takes me to the .addnew line.

>Can someone please point me in the right direction.  I just need to
>know how I can add a new record to an empty table.  Thanks to all in
>advance.

>Brian

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner ADO Question
Also, check to make sure you're referencing the ADO library in your
project.

bc
-------------

Quote:
> Check the connection's CursorType and LockType
> Keyset cursors and pessimistic (or optimistic) lock types allow
updatable
> recordsets.

> --
> Ertugrul Uysal

> >Hello all,

> >I feel a little slow to be asking what will probably turn out to be a
> >very easy answer, but here goes.  I just finished my first book on
> >programming VB databases and am trying to write a program to
reinforce
> >what I learned, but can't find any help in the examples.

> >I am trying to add a new record to a database that I created using
> >visdata, so therefore there are no entries in the table yet.

> >I open the connection, open a recordset.  I try to add a new record
by
> >using .addnew but I keep getting an error stating that the operation
> >requested by the application is not supported by the provider, then
> >when I debug it takes me to the .addnew line.

> >Can someone please point me in the right direction.  I just need to
> >know how I can add a new record to an empty table.  Thanks to all in
> >advance.

> >Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner ADO Question
Thankyou so much for pointing out to me the Locktype, that was exactly
it.  I made an assumption wrongly that if I left it blank that the
default would allow me to freely update recordsets.  When I added the
adlockoptimistic it worked first time through,  I spent all that time
looking at other areas that were ok, I guess practice makes perfect.
And thankyou too Bob for pointing out the references, that would have
caused problems too.

Its nice to know that there is a place to go to get help if needed, I
hope some day I can give back to the group.  Take care all.

Brian

On Wed, 24 May 2000 10:52:01 +0300, "Ertugrul Uysal"

Quote:

>Check the connection's CursorType and LockType
>Keyset cursors and pessimistic (or optimistic) lock types allow updatable
>recordsets.

>--
>Ertugrul Uysal

>>Hello all,

>>I feel a little slow to be asking what will probably turn out to be a
>>very easy answer, but here goes.  I just finished my first book on
>>programming VB databases and am trying to write a program to reinforce
>>what I learned, but can't find any help in the examples.

>>I am trying to add a new record to a database that I created using
>>visdata, so therefore there are no entries in the table yet.

>>I open the connection, open a recordset.  I try to add a new record by
>>using .addnew but I keep getting an error stating that the operation
>>requested by the application is not supported by the provider, then
>>when I debug it takes me to the .addnew line.

>>Can someone please point me in the right direction.  I just need to
>>know how I can add a new record to an empty table.  Thanks to all in
>>advance.

>>Brian

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Simple Beginners ADO Question: Slow Updates?

2. Hopefully a simple beginner ado question???

3. Beginners ADO.NET Question

4. Beginners questions regarding ADO 2.0

5. Beginner question: ADO recordsets

6. Beginner's Question DAO/ADO

7. beginner question bout ado object and scope

8. dbComboBox question -- (question from a beginner)

9. Beginner: DB Problem ADO / SQL

10. ADO Beginner help please?

11. ADO, beginner, help!

12. beginner asks about ADO Update