How to handle a large ADO recordset in a datagrid?
Author Message
 How to handle a large ADO recordset in a datagrid?

L.S.

When opening and assigning a large recordset to the datagrid control it takes a
long time.
Especially openening the recordset takes a long time.
I tried already to fetch the recordset asynchroniously, but that is not fast
enough for us.

After that I tried to retrieve only 1000 records.
After scrolling down and reaching the 1000th record I retrieve the next 1000
records.

And here is the problem:
When having a sort order on a non-unique field, you can not get the next 1000
records.
With a unique field you can ofcourse specify a sql-statement like where
(uniquefield > (value of 1000th record), but for a non unique field this is not
possible.

Does anyone has a solution for this or maybe have some other ideas?

Maurice Sanders

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:12:38 GMT
 How to handle a large ADO recordset in a datagrid?
Bite the bullet - add a unique field.

[...]

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:23:08 GMT
 How to handle a large ADO recordset in a datagrid?
This will not be enough.

Example:
Let's say we have two fields, one unique and one not unique field.
The sorting order is on the non-unique field.
I retrieve the first 1000 records.
The non-unique field contains the character 'A'.
The next thousand record contain the character 'B'.
When having a sql-statement like:
where non-uniquefield >= 'A' and uniquefield > (value of 1000th record of the unique field) can return the wrong recordset.

Eg with retrieving 5 record each time
Non unique field   unique field
A                  5
A                  6
A                  7
A                  8
A                  9
B                  3
B                  2

Do you have more/other suggestions?

Maurice

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.devdex.com ***

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:33:23 GMT
 How to handle a large ADO recordset in a datagrid?
hi,

if you use ado control, change it to adodb.recordset in code is faster to handle
huge recordset.

I hope that can be help you

cdc
sorry for my bad english.

Quote:
Let's say we have two fields, one unique and one not unique field.
The sorting order is on the non-unique field.
I retrieve the first 1000 records.
The non-unique field contains the character 'A'.
The next thousand record contain the character 'B'.
When having a sql-statement like:
where non-uniquefield >= 'A' and uniquefield > (value of 1000th record of the
unique field) can return the wrong recordset.

Eg with retrieving 5 record each time
Non unique field   unique field
A                  5
A                  6
A                  7
A                  8
A                  9
B                  3
B                  2

Do you have more/other suggestions?

Maurice

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.devdex.com ***
.

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:19:46 GMT
 How to handle a large ADO recordset in a datagrid?

Cdc

How do you change to use the ADodb.Recordset - that would suit me well as our MTS components return ADodb recordsets already....

Iain

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.devdex.com ***

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:33:24 GMT

1. How to handle a large ADO recordset in a datagrid?

2. How to display large recordset in datagrid?

3. VB .Net / Win98 / ADO large recordsets

4. Listview with large ADO recordset question

5. Can’t recieve large ADO recordsets

6. large ADO recordsets

7. Speeding up ADO with extremely large recordsets

8. handling error when update ADO Recordset (VB6, ADO2.5, SQL 7)

9. Binding The DataGrid With ADO Recordset

10. Binding ADO recordset to a datagrid (VB6 SP3)

11. DataGrid and ADO Recordset Troubles

12. ADO DataGrid: How to list a Recordset clicking then Button of a Cell