!! urgent !! please read !! Remote connections to SQL server
Author Message
 !! urgent !! please read !! Remote connections to SQL server

I'm currentlry writing an application which has to read records from a sql
server which resides somewhere on the internet.

De client computer which runs the VB program is located on a win98 machine
in a lan which connects to the internet using ms proxy 2.0

On my developing machine i have no proxy but ip forwarding and there the
program works, but my customer has a proxy server.

My question is:
How can i connect to a remote DB which is not located on my internal Lan.
I currently use ADO and connect to a db with a ODBC like connection string

Can somebody help me?? it has to work asap....

With regards,

Jeroen de Vries

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:31:29 GMT
 !! urgent !! please read !! Remote connections to SQL server
Assuming you're using TCP/IP as your protocol the following way should work:

First determine the IP Adress and port number at which SQL Server is
expecting connections. Make sure, this portnumber is enabled at the
customer's firewall.

Example:
Network Address=207.46.230.120
Port number: 1433

Use a connection string like this:
Network Address=207.46.230.120,1433;User
ID=User1;Password=Password1;Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=DataBaseName;Network Library=dbmssocn

dbmssocn is the TCP/IP network library

1433 is the standard SQL-Server TCP/IP port

If you have a nameserver, the IP adress may be replaced by the hostname.

hope this helps
-hans-

Quote:
> I'm currentlry writing an application which has to read records from a sql
> server which resides somewhere on the internet.

> De client computer which runs the VB program is located on a win98 machine
> in a lan which connects to the internet using ms proxy 2.0

> On my developing machine i have no proxy but ip forwarding and there the
> program works, but my customer has a proxy server.

> My question is:
> How can i connect to a remote DB which is not located on my internal Lan.
> I currently use ADO and connect to a db with a ODBC like connection string

Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT

1. URGENT Importing a package on a remote server PLEASE HELP

2. IMPORTANT ado connection to remote sql server v.7

3. IMPORTANT ado connection to remote sql server v.7

4. Connection to remote SQL Server database?

5. ADO connection to remote SQL-Server database refused

6. SQL Server 2008 remote connection fails

7. Connection to a remote sql server

8. Remote Ole Server Over remote access connection

9. ODBC Connection gives read only access to SQL Server

10. MS SQL connection string for remote internet connection?

11. ODBC/SQL Server Connection Problems!! Please Help

12. Problems reading Image from SQL Server 2000 database - Please Help