Reading Excel and writing SQLServer in VB
Author Message
 Reading Excel and writing SQLServer in VB

I know this is a very basic operation for those who have done it
before.  Basically,
I'm looking for an example or reference to a descent tutorial on how to
do this.
I'm still a little shaky on ADO.

I've got some database experience with VBScript in ASP pages but now I
need to
do something in a stand-alone Visual Basic application.

Basically, the application needs to open an Excel spreadsheet, extract
data from
cell rows, and write the row data out as recordsets into the SQL Server
database.

I assume the same kind of code that I use in the VBScript in my ASP will
also work
in a stand alone VB program (true ?? false ??).

I need to know some very basic stuff, like:
How do I get the right libraries in the VB application - I know that you
select some from
the object browser but it doesn't seem to have anything for Excel unless
I go thru Excel
and open the VB editor thru it.

Any info would be appreciated - at this point I don't think I know
enough to even ask
the right questions.

Since our sompany server is really flakey as far as newsgroup access is
concerned,
response by email would be appreciated -

Thanks,
cjh

Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:03:36 GMT
 Reading Excel and writing SQLServer in VB
Hi Carl,

If you want to get into it, go here->
http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm
and get the mdac 2.6 sdk, all you need to know to get going is in the docs
that come
with it.

Tony

Quote:
> I know this is a very basic operation for those who have done it
> before.  Basically,
> I'm looking for an example or reference to a descent tutorial on how to
> do this.
> I'm still a little shaky on ADO.

> I've got some database experience with VBScript in ASP pages but now I
> need to
> do something in a stand-alone Visual Basic application.

> Basically, the application needs to open an Excel spreadsheet, extract
> data from
> cell rows, and write the row data out as recordsets into the SQL Server
> database.

> I assume the same kind of code that I use in the VBScript in my ASP will
> also work
> in a stand alone VB program (true ?? false ??).

> I need to know some very basic stuff, like:
> How do I get the right libraries in the VB application - I know that you
> select some from
> the object browser but it doesn't seem to have anything for Excel unless
> I go thru Excel
> and open the VB editor thru it.

> Any info would be appreciated - at this point I don't think I know
> enough to even ask
> the right questions.

> Since our sompany server is really flakey as far as newsgroup access is
> concerned,
> response by email would be appreciated -

> Thanks,
> cjh

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:12:53 GMT

1. EXCEL: Switching from READ-ONLY to READ-WRITE

2. reading SQLServer Text datatype from VB

3. Error SQLServer/VB Cursor is read only

4. Store And Read Images from SQLServer 7 using VB

5. Write to an Excel file from VB without Excel present

6. read/write without open workbooks in excel

7. Can QBasic write and read Excel files?

8. VB6 project reading/writing Excel spreadsheet

9. Read/Write to Excel 8.0

10. EXCEL FILE read and write

11. question about reading/writing Excel 5.0 files

12. read/write Excel 5.0