runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
Author Message
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site

I want to connect to an Access 2002 database at a web site by a VB
application by ADO connection.
Hence I use the following  code:

DBS.Open "Provider=MS Remote;" & _
         "Remote Server=http://IP adres of server;" & _
         "Remote Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
         "DSN=TESTDB"

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblEmpl"
        Set rstQ7 = New ADODB.Recordset
        rstQ7.Open strSQL, DBS, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

When executed, the code hangs on rstQ.open strSQL...... displaying runtime
error 8447 : Internet server error.

The server is a WinXP configuration which acts as a Web server and a system
DSN called TESTDB was prepared for the ODBC connection. IIS V5.1 was also
activated on the configuration.

Does anyone know know what I should do ?

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:44:45 GMT
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
Hi,

Try to add adCmdText as an option in Open method of
recordset

rstQ7.Open strSQL, DBS, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly,
adCmdText

Val
Microsoft MVP

Quote:

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:49:52 GMT
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
In what are you trying to con the db ? VB dll or ASP ?
If in asp I can send you sample code.

In VB, why are you using DSN ? use OLEDB that is a lot easier and will give
you  a lot less hassels.
And install MDAC 2.7 fixed a lot of undocumented features ;-)

Cheers,
Maartin.

Quote:
> I want to connect to an Access 2002 database at a web site by a VB
> application by ADO connection.
> Hence I use the following  code:

> DBS.Open "Provider=MS Remote;" & _
>          "Remote Server=http://IP adres of server;" & _
>          "Remote Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
>          "DSN=TESTDB"

> strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblEmpl"
>         Set rstQ7 = New ADODB.Recordset
>         rstQ7.Open strSQL, DBS, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

> When executed, the code hangs on rstQ.open strSQL...... displaying runtime
> error 8447 : Internet server error.

> The server is a WinXP configuration which acts as a Web server and a
system
> DSN called TESTDB was prepared for the ODBC connection. IIS V5.1 was also
> activated on the configuration.

> Does anyone know know what I should do ?

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:21:55 GMT
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
Maartin,

Actually I started with a DSN-less connection. Since I could not solve the
connection problem I thought that this may be due to the adressing of the
Access file and therefore tried the DSN-method. Finally I've found the
problem by documentation at the MS site.I had to install the virtual
directory MSADC at the standard web root and point it to  the \Program
Files\Common Files\System\MSADC folder. After this I had to disable the RDS
datafactory handler by registration of the Handunsf.reg file. This all was
needed to configure at the server for accessing an Access file by RDS. While
reading records now functions very well, I am not able to update records and
posted another topic today. Maybe you can help with this.

thanks for your attention,
Oscar

Quote:
> In what are you trying to con the db ? VB dll or ASP ?
> If in asp I can send you sample code.

> In VB, why are you using DSN ? use OLEDB that is a lot easier and will
give
> you  a lot less hassels.
> And install MDAC 2.7 fixed a lot of undocumented features ;-)

> Cheers,
> Maartin.

> > I want to connect to an Access 2002 database at a web site by a VB
> > application by ADO connection.
> > Hence I use the following  code:

> > DBS.Open "Provider=MS Remote;" & _
> >          "Remote Server=http://IP adres of server;" & _
> >          "Remote Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
> >          "DSN=TESTDB"

> > strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblEmpl"
> >         Set rstQ7 = New ADODB.Recordset
> >         rstQ7.Open strSQL, DBS, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

> > When executed, the code hangs on rstQ.open strSQL...... displaying
runtime
> > error 8447 : Internet server error.

> > The server is a WinXP configuration which acts as a Web server and a
> system
> > DSN called TESTDB was prepared for the ODBC connection. IIS V5.1 was
also
> > activated on the configuration.

> > Does anyone know know what I should do ?

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:28:03 GMT
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
Val,
see my reply to Maartin.

thanks for your att.,
Oscar

Quote:
> Hi,

> Try to add adCmdText as an option in Open method of
> recordset

> rstQ7.Open strSQL, DBS, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly,
> adCmdText

> Val
> Microsoft MVP

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:31:46 GMT
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
ok, I have re-read your original post,
is the database on another server (pc) ? this might be part of your problem.

Can you give me more info on what your setup and objectives are ?
I can then try to replicate it here and give you some suggestions.

Another tought, is all the hotfixes etc installed on the PC ? IIS and XP.
Do you have MDAC 2.7 installed ? I still would seriously suggest do it with
OLEDB instead of ODBC, the changes and advantages are huge.

The error suggests to me that there is an error on the IIS side of things
might be
something with access permissons(permissions thru IIS or XP not ado).

The vb object (installed on the web server) is not bothered by the
permissions or
location of the  database. So you don't need to install a vir dir on IIIS.

But give info on what you are trying to do, I might then be able to give you
more info.

Cheers,
Maartin.

Quote:
> Maartin,

> Actually I started with a DSN-less connection. Since I could not solve the
> connection problem I thought that this may be due to the adressing of the
> Access file and therefore tried the DSN-method. Finally I've found the
> problem by documentation at the MS site.I had to install the virtual
> directory MSADC at the standard web root and point it to  the \Program
> Files\Common Files\System\MSADC folder. After this I had to disable the
RDS
> datafactory handler by registration of the Handunsf.reg file. This all was
> needed to configure at the server for accessing an Access file by RDS.
While
> reading records now functions very well, I am not able to update records
and
> posted another topic today. Maybe you can help with this.

> thanks for your attention,
> Oscar

> > In what are you trying to con the db ? VB dll or ASP ?
> > If in asp I can send you sample code.

> > In VB, why are you using DSN ? use OLEDB that is a lot easier and will
> give
> > you  a lot less hassels.
> > And install MDAC 2.7 fixed a lot of undocumented features ;-)

> > Cheers,
> > Maartin.

> > > I want to connect to an Access 2002 database at a web site by a VB
> > > application by ADO connection.
> > > Hence I use the following  code:

> > > DBS.Open "Provider=MS Remote;" & _
> > >          "Remote Server=http://IP adres of server;" & _
> > >          "Remote Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
> > >          "DSN=TESTDB"

> > > strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblEmpl"
> > >         Set rstQ7 = New ADODB.Recordset
> > >         rstQ7.Open strSQL, DBS, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

> > > When executed, the code hangs on rstQ.open strSQL...... displaying
> runtime
> > > error 8447 : Internet server error.

> > > The server is a WinXP configuration which acts as a Web server and a
> > system
> > > DSN called TESTDB was prepared for the ODBC connection. IIS V5.1 was
> also
> > > activated on the configuration.

> > > Does anyone know know what I should do ?

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:31:04 GMT
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
Your suggestion that access permissions could be the problem was right. I
think that I have to grant write permission for user IUSER_servername for
the specific directory in which the database resides. I could not find the
way to achieve this in Win XP therefore I've set membership of
administrators for IUSER_servername and now I am able to append and update
records. I know that this is not the right way to grant write permission for
a specific user but I still don't know how to do this in the security
settings of Win XP since I can't get XP that way that it shows me the
ability to set write/read for each directory and each user like WIN NT.
Maybe you know that.

Since the server is a Win XP configuration, MDAC 2.7 was installed already.
I have checked the version with MS component checker.
I've changed the connection object to OLEDB. I could not see any performance
change or whatever, maybe my test configuration is too simple to show
performace change.

regards,
Oscar

Quote:
> ok, I have re-read your original post,
> is the database on another server (pc) ? this might be part of your
problem.

> Can you give me more info on what your setup and objectives are ?
> I can then try to replicate it here and give you some suggestions.

> Another tought, is all the hotfixes etc installed on the PC ? IIS and XP.
> Do you have MDAC 2.7 installed ? I still would seriously suggest do it
with
> OLEDB instead of ODBC, the changes and advantages are huge.

> The error suggests to me that there is an error on the IIS side of things
> might be
> something with access permissons(permissions thru IIS or XP not ado).

> The vb object (installed on the web server) is not bothered by the
> permissions or
> location of the  database. So you don't need to install a vir dir on IIIS.

> But give info on what you are trying to do, I might then be able to give
you
> more info.

> Cheers,
> Maartin.

> > Maartin,

> > Actually I started with a DSN-less connection. Since I could not solve
the
> > connection problem I thought that this may be due to the adressing of
the
> > Access file and therefore tried the DSN-method. Finally I've found the
> > problem by documentation at the MS site.I had to install the virtual
> > directory MSADC at the standard web root and point it to  the \Program
> > Files\Common Files\System\MSADC folder. After this I had to disable the
> RDS
> > datafactory handler by registration of the Handunsf.reg file. This all
was
> > needed to configure at the server for accessing an Access file by RDS.
> While
> > reading records now functions very well, I am not able to update records
> and
> > posted another topic today. Maybe you can help with this.

> > thanks for your attention,
> > Oscar

> > > In what are you trying to con the db ? VB dll or ASP ?
> > > If in asp I can send you sample code.

> > > In VB, why are you using DSN ? use OLEDB that is a lot easier and will
> > give
> > > you  a lot less hassels.
> > > And install MDAC 2.7 fixed a lot of undocumented features ;-)

> > > Cheers,
> > > Maartin.

> > runtime

> > > system
> > also

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:48:33 GMT
 runtime error 8447 when ADO connecting to Access 2002 at web site
Glad to hear the permissions are sorted !!!
Sorry no luck I will query a friend of mine that is running XP he will
be able to answer the question. I'm still on W2k.

Well glad to hear the it is working under XP and OLEDB now !!!
For a start you will not notice a real difference but later as db size
increases
will start seeing certain things are quicker. A lot depends if your code is
optimized for speed and what you are doing on the database. Big Queries,
or big update statements across multiple tables and indexes etc, etc !!

I would recommend that you run a database server. If MS SQL is an issue due

nice !
You even get a OLEDB driver for it (have to seriously search though).

Access is a proper database but it does not like being bigger than 500Mb,
especially
with a lot of tables in it. Learn this one the hard way !!.

Will check back with you on the Permisions on XP !!!

Good work !!

Cheers,
Maartin.

Quote:
> [...]

> > > connection problem I thought that this may be due to the adressing of
> the
> > > Access file and therefore tried the DSN-method. Finally I've found the
> > > problem by documentation at the MS site.I had to install the virtual
> > > directory MSADC at the standard web root and point it to  the \Program
> > > Files\Common Files\System\MSADC folder. After this I had to disable
the
> > RDS
> > > datafactory handler by registration of the Handunsf.reg file. This all
> was
> > > needed to configure at the server for accessing an Access file by RDS.
> > While
> > > reading records now functions very well, I am not able to update
records
> > and
> > > posted another topic today. Maybe you can help with this.

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:47:11 GMT

1. Working with a remote (web) database - The problem persists 8447 Runtime Error

2. 8447-Microsoft ADO/RDS Error

3. HELP: error 8447 Internet Server Error

4. Access 2002 Runtime errors

5. 8447 Server Error

6. VB6, ADO, MSDE how to connect to data on web site (by URL)

7. I am trying to connect ot forms using Access 2002

8. Runtime Error 2002

9. Outlook 2002 Visual Basic Runtime error

10. Att: MS Rita Nikas per your request: Access 2000/2002 Error Accessing File

11. Module references in Access 2002 runtime app

12. Access 2002 Database - How To Put On Web