ADO with MDAC 2.5 and Jet Dependency?
Author Message
 ADO with MDAC 2.5 and Jet Dependency?

Any help appreciated.

I have a VB app that uses a Access 2000 database. However, now that MDAC 2.6
no longer contains Jet, I am thinking of switching to something else.  I
have three questions:

1)  Does ADO need Jet to work?  ( I'm thinking no)

2)  Is there any other simple data format that ADO can access where MDAC on
the machine is enough?  Meaning, I distribute my app with MDAC 2.6 and some
other data format instead of Access.

    a)  What is the DTAFlatFile provider
    b) What is the Simple Provider
    c)  Any other providers that all is need is MDAC

3)  What about this idea.  Distribute my data in a simple 25,000 record 6
field comma delimitated format.  Then create a ADO recordset on the fly (by
appending fields in code).  Then loop through the comma delimitated file
adding records to the ADO recordset?  I will do a test app to try I guess
and see how it effects performance.

As always, us novices appreciated any guidance from the masters.

Thanks,
DJ

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:50:04 GMT
 ADO with MDAC 2.5 and Jet Dependency?
No, ADO does not need Jet to work.
Why don't you simply add jet (a very simple download)
Peter

Quote:
> Any help appreciated.

> I have a VB app that uses a Access 2000 database. However, now that MDAC
2.6
> no longer contains Jet, I am thinking of switching to something else.  I
> have three questions:

> 1)  Does ADO need Jet to work?  ( I'm thinking no)

> 2)  Is there any other simple data format that ADO can access where MDAC
on
> the machine is enough?  Meaning, I distribute my app with MDAC 2.6 and
some
> other data format instead of Access.

>     a)  What is the DTAFlatFile provider
>     b) What is the Simple Provider
>     c)  Any other providers that all is need is MDAC

> 3)  What about this idea.  Distribute my data in a simple 25,000 record 6
> field comma delimitated format.  Then create a ADO recordset on the fly
(by
> appending fields in code).  Then loop through the comma delimitated file
> adding records to the ADO recordset?  I will do a test app to try I guess
> and see how it effects performance.

> As always, us novices appreciated any guidance from the masters.

> Thanks,
> DJ

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:02:51 GMT

1. Where is MDAC 2.5 SDK (ADO 2.5)

2. MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

3. mdac 2.5 and jet 3.51

4. Install MDAC 2.5 over MDAC 2.6

5. Problem developing dll files in MDAC 2.5, but using MDAC 2.6

6. ADO Data Control and MDAC 2.5 Problem

7. Installing MDAC 2.5 gives Refresh error on ADO control

8. Corruption problem of ADO 2.5 against Jet 4 ??

9. Need advice on Security - VB6 ADO 2.5 - jet 4

10. Need advice on Security - VB6 ADO 2.5 - jet 4

11. Error setting field to Null with Jet 4 (SP5) and ADO 2.5

12. Problems persisting ADO 2.5 recordset using Jet.OLEDB.40