Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection
Author Message
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection

Hi

in a VB6 program, I'm using some ADO-recordsets (built with .field append
..). Now I want to manipulate these recordsets and build some queries. That
all works fine with a DB-connection. But I don't see, how to do the job
WITHOUT a DB-connection.

Tal for Help

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:16:51 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection

Quote:

> in a VB6 program, I'm using some ADO-recordsets (built with .field append
> ..). Now I want to manipulate these recordsets and build some queries. That
> all works fine with a DB-connection. But I don't see, how to do the job
> WITHOUT a DB-connection.

Bert,
Use the Find method or Filter property of the disconnected ADO Recordset.

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:16:26 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection

Quote:
> Use the Find method or Filter property of the disconnected ADO Recordset.

> --

> Thanks,
> Carl Prothman
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> http://www.able-consulting.com

Thanks Carl

Find and Filter are ok. But I want to create new (joined) queies ?!

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:30:27 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection

Quote:
> > Use the Find method or Filter property of the disconnected ADO Recordset.

> Thanks Carl
> Find and Filter are ok. But I want to create new (joined) queries ?!

If I understand you correctly, you will not be able to run a "SQL query" against
one (or more) disconnected recordsets.  The closes you will get to a "SQL query"
is to use the Find or Filter features of the client-side recordset.

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:55:46 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection
no, I indeed want to be able to run an "SQL query" against some
"disconnected recordsets" (recordsets, created in vb, not stored in an
external db)...

Quote:

> > > Use the Find method or Filter property of the disconnected ADO
Recordset.

> > Thanks Carl
> > Find and Filter are ok. But I want to create new (joined) queries ?!

> If I understand you correctly, you will not be able to run a "SQL query"
against
> one (or more) disconnected recordsets.  The closes you will get to a "SQL
query"
> is to use the Find or Filter features of the client-side recordset.

> --

> Thanks,
> Carl Prothman
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> http://www.able-consulting.com

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:28:05 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection

Quote:

> no, I indeed want to be able to run an "SQL query" against some
> "disconnected recordsets" (recordsets, created in vb, not stored in an
> external db)...

Then your only choices are to use the Find or Filter features on each disconnected recordset.

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:25:36 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:25:36 -0700, "Carl Prothman"

Quote:

>> no, I indeed want to be able to run an "SQL query" against some
>> "disconnected recordsets" (recordsets, created in vb, not stored in an
>> external db)...

>Then your only choices are to use the Find or Filter features on each disconnected recordset.

>--

How many more times do you think he's going to try to make you repeat
that? ;-)

Bob

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 06:06:58 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection

Quote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:25:36 -0700, "Carl Prothman"

> >> no, I indeed want to be able to run an "SQL query" against some
> >> "disconnected recordsets" (recordsets, created in vb, not stored in an
> >> external db)...

> >Then your only choices are to use the Find or Filter features on each disconnected recordset.

> How many more times do you think he's going to try to make you repeat that?  ;-)

Hopefully not too many more times...   ;-)

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 06:20:28 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection
is it so hard to understand, that I want to create NEW recordsets out of
manually created recordsets with i.g. joined queries? so find and filter
don't help at all

Quote:
> > On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:25:36 -0700, "Carl Prothman"

Quote:

> > >Then your only choices are to use the Find or Filter features on each

disconnected recordset.
Quote:

> > How many more times do you think he's going to try to make you repeat
that?  ;-)

> Hopefully not too many more times...   ;-)

> --

> Thanks,
> Carl Prothman
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> http://www.able-consulting.com

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:49:10 GMT
 Using ADO WITHOUT a DB-connection
Is it so hard to understand when you're told three times that IT CAN
NOT BE DONE!

You need a database engine to run sql queries...

You will need to manually create and populate a third recordset
containing the records representing the "join" between the two initial
recordsets. This will mean writing some code to loop through the first
recordset, and, for each record, find the corresponding record(s) in
the other recordset, and add the result to the third recordset.

In other words, you are going to have to write the code that does what
a database engine does for you.

Quote:
>is it so hard to understand, that I want to create NEW recordsets out of
>manually created recordsets with i.g. joined queries? so find and filter
>don't help at all

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:16:52 GMT

1. using grid without db connection

2. Using a RecordSet without an ADO connection

3. Using ADO to specify nternet connection to Access or SQL DB

4. Global DB Connections...RunTime Variable used for Design-Time DataAdapter Connection

5. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

6. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

7. VC++: Using CR7 as Print Engine without using a DB

8. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

9. Ado example for accesing native DOS foxpro files (without server-side DB engine)

10. ADO-Connection to Dbase without DNS

11. ADO recordset without connection

12. ADO Error on connection to db