Ado Recordset limit
Author Message
 Ado Recordset limit

I have a problem, I'm writing information to a table but it won't let me
write more than 2k at a time.  If you know about a patch or something to fix
this please tell me. Thankyou

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:49:45 GMT
 Ado Recordset limit
If you would provide a bit more information about the database you're
using, and the technique you are using to write to the database, we'll be
better able to help.

Thanks.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 06:01:20 GMT
 Ado Recordset limit
The issue is the same as for Visual Basic 3.0 as documented at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q111/3/04.asp I was just
wondering if now there may be a fix for this.

Quote:
> If you would provide a bit more information about the database you're
> using, and the technique you are using to write to the database, we'll be
> better able to help.

> Thanks.

> Steven Bras, MCSD
> Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 06:42:59 GMT
 Ado Recordset limit
No, this "problem" is not fixed and won't be. It's by design. In a
relational database the need for database rows as wide as 2K (it's now 8060
bytes in SS 2000), has never been clearly established. Invariably, when you
have a row this wide it means that your data is not "normalized". This means
that you're repeating columns (Address1, Address2, Address3) unnecessarily
and or setting the column widths too wide (VarChar 1000) when you should be
using BLOB (TEXT) types to store the data.

--
William (Bill) Vaughn
President Beta V Corporation

Quote:
> The issue is the same as for Visual Basic 3.0 as documented at
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q111/3/04.asp I was just
> wondering if now there may be a fix for this.

> > If you would provide a bit more information about the database you're
> > using, and the technique you are using to write to the database, we'll
be
> > better able to help.

> > Thanks.

> > Steven Bras, MCSD
> > Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:25:54 GMT
 Ado Recordset limit
I've looked and I can see no evidence of it being addressed; further, DAO
is no longer being enhanced or its bugs fixed. Of course, we recommend that
developers use ADO; however I do understand that legacy code has to be
maintained.

If you post the error you are receiving, I can do more research and let you
know what I find.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 03:20:57 GMT

1. ADO Createable recordset size limits?

2. ADO Createable recordset size limits?

3. Open ADO recordset on another ADO recordset - possible?

4. Recordset vs. ADO Recordset

5. How to change ADO recordset retrieved from Oracle into new recordset

6. ADO fails to release Recordset cursor after opening disconnected Recordset

7. 2 ado recordsets into a new 3rd recordset

8. Limits on the SET action of a Recordset

9. Are recordsets limited to any number of records?

10. Recordset Limit

11. Limiting size of Access recordset

12. ODBC recordset problems, 100 record limit?