Getting ADO Sort property to work with Server Side Cursors
Author Message
 Getting ADO Sort property to work with Server Side Cursors

ADO2.1, VC++, SQL Server 7.

Hi,
During the early integration phase of my project I have been using a
ClientSide Cursor. This has been for the sole purpose of being able to use
the ADO sort property without having to have indexes created on the
database.

I now have all my indexes created and I have now switched over to using a
ServerSide cursor. However, I cannot get the sort property to work, I always
get an error "The operation requested by the application is not supported by
the provider".

I am using a Keyset cursor as I want to be able to use bookmarks (dynamic
cursors do not support bookmarks). The column which I am currently trying to
sort on is the Primary key - so is an index.

Please help! I desperately need to use the sort property with ServerSide
cursors.

Regards,
Steve

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting ADO Sort property to work with Server Side Cursors
Steve,

Sort only works with client side cursors. If you need to sort when using
server side, you have to do it in your select statement.

Later...

Niels

Quote:
> ADO2.1, VC++, SQL Server 7.

> Hi,
> During the early integration phase of my project I have been using a
> ClientSide Cursor. This has been for the sole purpose of being able to use
> the ADO sort property without having to have indexes created on the
> database.

> I now have all my indexes created and I have now switched over to using a
> ServerSide cursor. However, I cannot get the sort property to work, I
always
> get an error "The operation requested by the application is not supported
by
> the provider".

> I am using a Keyset cursor as I want to be able to use bookmarks (dynamic
> cursors do not support bookmarks). The column which I am currently trying
> sort on is the Primary key - so is an index.

> Please help! I desperately need to use the sort property with ServerSide
> cursors.

> Regards,
> Steve

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor

2. ADO - RecordCount only works with Client side cursors?

3. ADO - RecordCount only works with Client side cursors?

4. ADO - RecordCount only works with Client side cursors?

5. Seek Works on Server-Side cursor?

6. ADO - RecordCount only works with Client side cursors?

7. ADO Dynamic Cursor/Server Side

8. ADO Deployment, client vs server side cursors

9. Server side or client side cursors?

10. ?client-side vs server-side cursors

11. Client Side and Server Side Cursors

12. difference betwen Client-side and Server-side cursors?