To close or not to close 
Author Message
 To close or not to close

Hi

One of my apps uses 5 connections to 5 different access databases.
Within the program each of these are used by differing amounts.

My question is, which is considered best on a networked program with 5 -
 10 users.
1. Open and close the connections as required.
2. Keep the connections open until the user closes the program.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

--
Kevin C Martin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.



Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 To close or not to close

Kevin,

That's a hard question to answer without knowing your infrastruture. Even
then it could be hard without testing the different setups. What I eman is
that there's a certain overhead in opening and closing the connections when
needed and you don't mention how often this will occur.

When keeping the connections open there's also the problem of bandwith on
your network. Will the network bandwith be used up completely when your
users start messing with the data?

Try both setups and do some performance testing and see how other users are
affected. Another thing to consider is if all 5 connections are equally
important, i.e. are they all accessed with regular intervals or perhaps one
or more of them could be opened and closed when needed?

I know this gives you more questions than answers, but there you go.

--
Regards

Carsten Thomsen
MVP VB
MCSE/MCSD/VB Programmer & Analyst

PLEASE post ALL replies to the newsgroup(s) so we can all benefit from the
discussion!


Quote:

> Hi

> One of my apps uses 5 connections to 5 different access databases.
> Within the program each of these are used by differing amounts.

> My question is, which is considered best on a networked program with 5 -
>  10 users.
> 1. Open and close the connections as required.
> 2. Keep the connections open until the user closes the program.

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

> --
> Kevin C Martin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.



Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 To close or not to close
Thanks for your thoughts Carsten. What I am going to try is keeping to
two main connections open and simply getting the other three as
required.
Like you say, test and see.

Thanks again

Kevin



Quote:

> Kevin,

> That's a hard question to answer without knowing your infrastruture.
Even
> then it could be hard without testing the different setups. What I
eman is
> that there's a certain overhead in opening and closing the
connections when
> needed and you don't mention how often this will occur.

> When keeping the connections open there's also the problem of
bandwith on
> your network. Will the network bandwith be used up completely when
your
> users start messing with the data?

> Try both setups and do some performance testing and see how other
users are
> affected. Another thing to consider is if all 5 connections are
equally
> important, i.e. are they all accessed with regular intervals or
perhaps one
> or more of them could be opened and closed when needed?

> I know this gives you more questions than answers, but there you go.

> --
> Regards

> Carsten Thomsen
> MVP VB
> MCSE/MCSD/VB Programmer & Analyst

> PLEASE post ALL replies to the newsgroup(s) so we can all benefit
from the
> discussion!



> > Hi

> > One of my apps uses 5 connections to 5 different access databases.
> > Within the program each of these are used by differing amounts.

> > My question is, which is considered best on a networked program
with 5 -
> >  10 users.
> > 1. Open and close the connections as required.
> > 2. Keep the connections open until the user closes the program.

> > Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

> > --
> > Kevin C Martin

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

--
Kevin C Martin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.



Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. To Close or Not to Close that ...

2. To Close ot not to Close?

3. .ldb not closing when .mdb is closed

4. VBA Project does not close when workbook is closed

5. Form does not close from the UpperRight X Close button

6. After closing my application, Task is active an will not close

7. window.close closes webbrowser but not the form itself

8. Form Close Button Does Not Close the Form

9. window.close closes Webbrowser but not the form itself

10. Do not close form on clicking close button in Visual Basic

11. window.close closes Webbrowser but not the form itself

12. window.close closes Webbrowser but not the form itself

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software