?client-side vs server-side cursors 
Author Message
 ?client-side vs server-side cursors

I have found that the scroll bars on my grid work only if I use a
client-side cursor.  However, my database will be accessed by multiple
users.  Does that mean that I am forced to use a server-side cursor?  Even
with one user, I find that because I open different recordsets for the same
database, that I get some errors when using the client-side cursor.

The docs say that server-side cursors "allow for additional sensitivity to
changes others make to the data source. "  Does anyone know what that means
more specifically?

Thanks,



Fri, 04 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ?client-side vs server-side cursors
Although it can depend on provider, generally, if you want to make changes
to the recordset, must use server-side cursor. Client-side cursors are
usefull only for read, because you free the server of managing that cursor,
but at cost of loose some functionalities like see changes on the order,
relocation of cursor (if you update) and so on. Client cursors works fine
only with read-only recordsets (i mean those that you never use to update
records, like those you use to make reports).



Quote:
> I have found that the scroll bars on my grid work only if I use a
> client-side cursor.  However, my database will be accessed by multiple
> users.  Does that mean that I am forced to use a server-side cursor?  Even
> with one user, I find that because I open different recordsets for the
same
> database, that I get some errors when using the client-side cursor.

> The docs say that server-side cursors "allow for additional sensitivity to
> changes others make to the data source. "  Does anyone know what that
means
> more specifically?

> Thanks,



Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ?client-side vs server-side cursors
I only used Client-Side cursor for my recent application and it works fine
for updates. So don't say it only works for reading and reporting. It is not
true.

Quote:

>Although it can depend on provider, generally, if you want to make changes
>to the recordset, must use server-side cursor. Client-side cursors are
>usefull only for read, because you free the server of managing that cursor,
>but at cost of loose some functionalities like see changes on the order,
>relocation of cursor (if you update) and so on. Client cursors works fine
>only with read-only recordsets (i mean those that you never use to update
>records, like those you use to make reports).



>> I have found that the scroll bars on my grid work only if I use a
>> client-side cursor.  However, my database will be accessed by multiple
>> users.  Does that mean that I am forced to use a server-side cursor?
Even
>> with one user, I find that because I open different recordsets for the
>same
>> database, that I get some errors when using the client-side cursor.

>> The docs say that server-side cursors "allow for additional sensitivity
to
>> changes others make to the data source. "  Does anyone know what that
>means
>> more specifically?

>> Thanks,



Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ?client-side vs server-side cursors
Sorry i've offer you.
but, i haven't written anything like you say.
client cursor are problems when working in a multiuser environment working
onto the same database.
That's all i have said.
No more.



Quote:
> I only used Client-Side cursor for my recent application and it works fine
> for updates. So don't say it only works for reading and reporting. It is
not
> true.


> >Although it can depend on provider, generally, if you want to make
changes
> >to the recordset, must use server-side cursor. Client-side cursors are
> >usefull only for read, because you free the server of managing that
cursor,
> >but at cost of loose some functionalities like see changes on the order,
> >relocation of cursor (if you update) and so on. Client cursors works fine
> >only with read-only recordsets (i mean those that you never use to update
> >records, like those you use to make reports).



> >> I have found that the scroll bars on my grid work only if I use a
> >> client-side cursor.  However, my database will be accessed by multiple
> >> users.  Does that mean that I am forced to use a server-side cursor?
> Even
> >> with one user, I find that because I open different recordsets for the
> >same
> >> database, that I get some errors when using the client-side cursor.

> >> The docs say that server-side cursors "allow for additional sensitivity
> to
> >> changes others make to the data source. "  Does anyone know what that
> >means
> >> more specifically?

> >> Thanks,



Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor

2. Server side or client side cursors?

3. Client Side and Server Side Cursors

4. difference betwen Client-side and Server-side cursors?

5. Client side VS server side

6. Server-Side vs Client-Side script

7. Using Server side Vs OnClick Client side

8. Client side VS server side..

9. dumb question - fundamentals of client-side vs server-side vbscript

10. DLLs -- server-side vs client-side

11. server side (adUseServer) vs client side (adUseClient)

12. ADO Deployment, client vs server side cursors

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software