Dynamic cursor and Oracle
Author Message
 Dynamic cursor and Oracle

Does anybody know is it possible to use ADO recordset
with  dynamic cursor on Oracle database. If it is possible, I would lke to
know whic driver (ODBC) or
provider (Ole Db) to use.
Thanks

Fri, 20 May 2005 23:21:14 GMT
 Dynamic cursor and Oracle
Tom,

I did not try, but I think it should be possible. Everything depends on
settings or recordset. try to play with CursorLocation, CursorType and
LockType properties. Cjheck next link with different samples of connection
strings  (to Oracle as well). That link has examples with different ODBC
drivers and OLEDB providers

http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Does anybody know is it possible to use ADO recordset
> with  dynamic cursor on Oracle database. If it is possible, I would lke to
> know whic driver (ODBC) or
> provider (Ole Db) to use.
> Thanks

Sat, 21 May 2005 00:44:52 GMT
 Dynamic cursor and Oracle
Tom,

You will not be able to get a dynamic cursor type for an Oracle database.
Oracle does not allow uncommitted reads (aka dirty reads) and Oracle
implements the "Read Consistency" feature.  The contents of a rowset are
established upon execution of the DML statement, and are guaranteed to be
consistent for the life of the opened cursor (or until the "Snapshot too
Old" error condition)

If you need this behavior, you will have to implement it in your
application.  First, get all other apps to commit often (you will never see
uncommited changes from other sessions/transactions).  Second, create a
timer that will periodically cause your recordset to be closed and then
re-opened.

regards
roy fine

Quote:
> Does anybody know is it possible to use ADO recordset
> with  dynamic cursor on Oracle database. If it is possible, I would lke to
> know whic driver (ODBC) or
> provider (Ole Db) to use.
> Thanks

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:36:39 GMT

1. Dynamic Recordset and Client Side Cursor

2. ADO Dynamic Cursor/Server Side

3. VBSQL dynamic cursor problem

4. Dynamic cursor error

5. Dynamic cursor (RDO) question

6. RDO: Can Dynamic cursors be bookmarkable?

7. Dynamic cursor relink problem

8. ado - dynamic cursor

9. Dynamic cursor error

10. counting records using a dynamic cursor?

11. error: Fetch Type Absolute..Dynamic Cursors

12. Dynamic cursor with Microsoft Jet