SQL Server 'Text' Data Type Field
Author Message
 SQL Server 'Text' Data Type Field

text is slow...use varchar

text will always block off that amount of memory no matter how much text is
actually in the field, such as if you allocate 500 characters for the field
the text type always gives you 500 even if the field has 1 character in it

varchar will allocate 1 for 1 character, 2 for 2, etc.

Happy coding

David

Quote:
> Is the 'Text' Data Type save to use? I got some information that it will
> slow down the retrieval of data.. I'm trying to save large amount
characters
> to the 'Text' Data type field.

> Is there any other way to save characters  to a SQL Server Database?

> Anybody have any ideas or comments?

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server 'Text' Data Type Field

Is the 'Text' Data Type save to use? I got some information that it will
slow down the retrieval of data.. I'm trying to save large amount characters
to the 'Text' Data type field.

Is there any other way to save characters  to a SQL Server Database?

Anybody have any ideas or comments?

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server 'Text' Data Type Field
Hi David,

But Text Type, the allocation of the Length cannot be edited.

Anway Thanks for the Information.

Thomas

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server 'Text' Data Type Field

try using VARCHAR(MaximumNumberOfCharacters) instead of TEXT

Quote:
> Is the 'Text' Data Type save to use? I got some information that it will
> slow down the retrieval of data.. I'm trying to save large amount
characters
> to the 'Text' Data type field.

> Is there any other way to save characters  to a SQL Server Database?

> Anybody have any ideas or comments?

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. How To Get Data From SQL Server's Image Field

2. problem of converting C's union type to VB's a data type

3. problem of converting C's union type to VB's a data type

4. How to insert SQL Server Image Data Type Fields in a Report

5. Change a field's data type through code

6. Modify Field's Data Type with VB

7. Retrieving SQL Server Text data type in VB.NET

8. Problem reading Text data type from SQL Server

9. Problem reading Text data type from SQL Server

10. Accesssing SQL Server Text data types using RDO

11. FILE UPLOAD FROM ASP TO SQL SERVER TEXT DATA TYPE

12. ADO Data type for SQL Server Text